Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

LIVE: Somaliland Election Update

2 hours ago, galbeedi said:

I though they will let go the power and accept change after seven years

I think they have been planing for LONG time, to steal, with biggest drama, and illusion, all the thing the was going was "Smoke and Mirrors"      

The guys  rushing to sell ports, public lands, have no shame, and would steal any election.

They knew Wadani has something going for, like these guys are thieves, they sell everything, next they will sell you, it was catch phrase.

• Thanks 1

YoniZ   

Somaliland is decade ahead of other Nomads when it comes to organising elections. The voting was historic and tall order to match by anyone in the horn of Africa.

Sadly, the choice that people got in this election was to vote for one of the corrupt elites, non of the three candidates came from outside the usual circle. However, people voted generally in excellent fashion. 

In the past two years, there was a big amount money pocketed by the ruling elites and their cronies. Some of that money is used to corrupt a good number of traditional leaders and even opposition figures. The elites got wealthier, where the laymen got poorer because of the inflation caused by the new money, and the recurrent draughts.

Whoever wins this election, the good people of Somaliland showed other Nomads the way. How to vote in civilised society, where the resources are limited, and elites are crooked  beyond redemption.

• Like 1

^definitely agree, in terms of organisation, skills,(and have a common motivator, to succeed and get recognition)  it is just few elites at top, who are disappointing people, will do anything to steal.

Any society  must have a motivator that unites them to succeed.

Tallaabo   

This election is turning into a joke. Given the very low moral standards of Somali politicians and the real risk of a post-election unrest, the ballot papers should not have been made secret instead each voter should have registered their ID number on their ballot paper. This way, ghost voters and those who are underage could be verified and removed easily even after the vote is cast.  

• Like 1
  • Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

^

Tallaabo,

Do you mean to tell me that the Ballot papers do NOT have their corresponding Voter ID number on them?

That would be preposterous and I can’t believe the opposition parties  have allowed such a ridiculous system in the first place, whereby there would be no way of verifying the number of ballots cast in a particular precincts  match the number of voters who actually voted.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Che -Guevara said:

Was anyone disturbed by the level of vitriol?   Qabyaalada is genuine mental condition among Somalis.

Saaxiib,  weligaa ma maqli jirtey... “Wixii aad qarsato way ku qurunsadaan ”.

Before the election: “ Dee anaku Soomaaliland baanu nahay, dee qaran baanu nahay!”

After the election:  “ Waar dee anaku habar ‘so and so’ baanu nahay,  dee yeeli mayno...” 

A little bit of a drama. Hey, you have to have one in these kind of contests. 

What you just witnessed is that people will not accept cheating, I mean a little bit of cheating here and there is admissible, hey, who says that it doesn't happen in the 1st world either? Ah!

Anyway, these few hiccups are part of  the learning curve, and definitely what went wrong will be analysed and studied. Hopefully we will learn from it and come next elections, have another wonderful elections.  

Anyway, things are back on track. Counting in Hargeisa is being done. Stay tuned. 

Btw, glad to see a lot of good old people smell blood and come from far afield for for a feast. 

Sorry, Reer Somaliland have a lot of different levels of institutions that they fall back to in times of crisis. And most importantly, even when cheated, they don't employ "Cadaow Ku Cunay ama Ku ciideeyay". Instead, there is always tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suldaanka,

The loss of lives and election fraud are not hiccups. Somaliland was on its way to pull of flawless election and peaceful transfer of power with real mandate. They were this close.

Even, the most anti-Somaliland groups had reluctantly admitted the success of the campaign and  election day. The rest of the Somali people were happy for Somaliland and congratulated them. They even said it is something that the South should emulate.

I think some introspection is due instead saying others are smelling blood. Besides, there's nothing others could do.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Barwaaqo said:

If I got five cents for all the time I heard people discount or wish Somaliland ill will I'd be rich by now.  It is really tragic, we wish Somalia well and they are busy trying to make our "Kaffan".  I guess misery loves company. There is a reason why Allah instructs us to not be a "Xaasid".  It will only delay Somalia's prosperity if they continue with their hate and evil in their hearts.

Somaliland in badan bay soo kaafa kacaysay.  We take 2 steps forward and one step back, one giant stride and one step back and so on.  We've seesawed along the way.  We've built institutions that have been proven resilient despite the complexity of the situations we've faced.  We've always come out stronger, more experienced & more determined than ever to perfect our consensus building.  We are after all an egalitarian society.  It is something in our DNA. We sit, we deliberate, we debate and finally agree on a way forward. 

Unfortunately, along the way we have had loss of lives.  One life is one too many. We mourn and grieve and hope to see a better tomorrow where we no longer see people die due to protests.  May Allah have mercy on those who passed away a few nights ago. May their families find the strength to carry on.

The eventual winner will have to deal with how to control demonstrations.  We must ban the use of live ammunition.  Too many times we've lost people from Lascaanood to Borama and all the other cities in between due to stray bullets after police fire into the air.

I want to thank Suldaanka & Barwaaqo for their even measured tone in providing us updates.  It is clear you want Somaliland to succeed while other are hoping we miss the mark.  Alhamdulilah, Allah is the best of planners.  We trust in Allah SWT and are confident in His grace that Somaliland will continue to progress.

We await the final tally of the NEC........

• Like 2

And I would even be more richer every time Somalia and Somalis are blamed for your shortcomings. Nobody wishes your demise for there's nothing to be gained from it. It is not Somalis that hijacked your election, shot on your people or aired your clannish vitriol.

I once watched Edna Adan go on rant about Somalia, from Somali piracy to terrorism, all in a desperate attempt for to make contrast and advance a cause that the world is not buying and Somalis have no control over. You seem to share one or two things with her.

Maybe it is time you let go of Somalia! And honestly nobody likes a nagging creature and not to mention we get our own headaches. 

And yes, we wait for NEC tally since Suldaanka and Barwaaqo have diligently keeping us updated.B|

• Thanks 1

Tallaabo   
On 17/11/2017 at 3:30 PM, Tillamook said:

^

Tallaabo,

Do you mean to tell me that the Ballot papers do NOT have their corresponding Voter ID number on them?

That would be preposterous and I can’t believe the opposition parties  have allowed such a ridiculous system in the first place, whereby there would be no way of verifying the number of ballots cast in a particular precincts  match the number of voters who actually voted.

Regrettably, I don't think the papers had corresponding voter ID numbers. We don't have such a system here in the West too, do we? But then no one grabs and runs away with a ballot box here in the civilized world.

• Like 1