Sign in to follow this  
Deeq A.

Somali family reaches milestone — welcomes 150th member to Canada

Deeq A.   

A Somali family celebrated a milestone Wednesday night when the 150th family member arrived in Canada, in the 150th year of Canada's founding. "I am feeling so joyful," said Marcus Askar, who started it all 20 years ago when he fled civil war in Somalia and found refuge in Winnipeg. On Wednesday, Askar welcomed three relatives — Ismail Ali Askar (his youngest brother), Ilhan hussen Ahmed and Ayanleh hussen Ahmed. "I have been waiting so long," he said. "I don't remember his face he was so young — two or something like that."

Marcus Askar

Ismeal Askar cries as he sees his brother Marcus Askar for the first time in 20 years. (Justin Fraser/ CBC)

Askar, who comes from a family of eight boys and five girls, said all but two of his siblings are now in Canada. He said his extended family now lives all across the country but every one of them considers Winnipeg to be home. Hannah Askar joined her father at the airport to welcome her three new relatives in from Djibouti.  "I am excited that they are going to start a new life here and hopefully they are comfortable when they get here," she said. The 14-year-old was born in Winnipeg and said it's a new experience for her, welcoming family in from a war-torn country.

"I don't think I would ever be able to understand the struggles that they went through back home, because obviously it's hard there."

Marcus Askar

The Askar family reached 150 members in Canada on Wednesday night. (Justin Fraser/ CBC)

qoys-1.jpg?resize=620%2C349

qoys-2.jpg?resize=620%2C349

qoys-3.jpg?resize=620%2C349

galbeedi   

Holac,

I know the guy, and  He hails from Gabiley region. He probably anglicized  his name in order to facilitate this project. I even had met some of those family members he sponsored. Almost all of them are from Gabiley and Awdal region.

Since Manitoba has high unemployment, usually they move to Alberta.

^ He anglicized his name and probably cheated on the asylum applications so his family can migrate to Canada and freeload on the public purse. But yeah his rageedi. Typical mentality!

3 hours ago, anoo kale said:

^ He anglicized his name and probably cheated on the asylum applications so his family can migrate to Canada and freeload on the public purse. But yeah his rageedi. Typical mentality!

Do you have to be negative like that? 

galbeedi   

Blue,

Sorry to unswer late, these days  we have been consumed by politics.

He is not rich at all. He did through a church, and he has been sponsoring family members since early nineties. The Church and the local organization are guarantors, but they do not house them or feed them. Those who arrived  earlier also sponsored their extended family mostly from Egypt, Yemen, Pakistan and Ethiopia. I thing those people have been designated by the United Nations as refugee waiting for resettlement.

Anoo Kale,

Actually they are not allowed to access the  public welfare or government help. The sponsors are responsible.  Actually, I myself had contributed for a young family seeking small apartment after they had arrived.  I don't know if you were aware, but even  in early nineties those of us who migrated from Europe were sponsored by family and friends, but the guarantor was a Muslim charity in Ontario. That was how it was done. 

Mr. Askar might have brought 150, but some of them were brought by those he sponsored. Some friend told me about these routes some ten years ago, but I have been one of those who never sponsored one single person. I did not have time for the hustle of going back and forth to  the immigration offices and their stupid  lineups.

• Like 1

On 18-11-2017 at 7:15 AM, galbeedi said:

Blue,

Sorry to unswer late, these days  we have been consumed by politics.

He is not rich at all. He did through a church, and he has been sponsoring family members since early nineties. The Church and the local organization are guarantors, but they do not house them or feed them. Those who arrived  earlier also sponsored their extended family mostly from Egypt, Yemen, Pakistan and Ethiopia. I thing those people have been designated by the United Nations as refugee waiting for resettlement.

Anoo Kale,

Actually they are not allowed to access the  public welfare or government help. The sponsors are responsible.  Actually, I myself had contributed for a young family seeking small apartment after they had arrived.  I don't know if you were aware, but even  in early nineties those of us who migrated from Europe were sponsored by family and friends, but the guarantor was a Muslim charity in Ontario. That was how it was done. 

Mr. Askar might have brought 150, but some of them were brought by those he sponsored. Some friend told me about these routes some ten years ago, but I have been one of those who never sponsored one single person. I did not have time for the hustle of going back and forth to  the immigration offices and their stupid  lineups.

No worries dude it’s ok. That explains alot it now makes more sense.