Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

World Bank Poverty report on Somalia: Somaliland region(NW) poorer than Puntland

I have read the report fully , and while as usual SOMALIS never take serious statistics that debunk their "SHEEKO GURI",and delusion, this is one of the best report that came out of SOMALIA since the start of civil war.

Somalis, completely deluded by the powerful fairy tales at home, will never accept such reports, MANA anaga, it is as true and close to reality, the only thing that came and hit me, was the level of poverty, how destitute our people are, while at the same time, very few at top, are getting rich at the expense of the millions, signing away ports, and completely out of touch. and bizarrely some here are arguing your village is poorer etc, while all are sitting in deep sh!t.

Population

2eyj4ht.jpg

I have read the report fully , and while as usual SOMALIS never take serious statistics that debunk their "SHEEKO GURI",and delusion, this is one of the best report that came out of SOMALIA since the start of civil war.

Somalis, completely deluded by the powerful fairy tales at home, will never accept such reports, MANA anaga, it is as true and close to reality, the only thing hit me, was the level of poverty, how destitute our people are, while at the same time, very few at top, are getting rich at the expense of the millions, signing away ports, and completely out of touch. and bizarrely some here are arguing your village is poorer, mine is richer, etc, while all are sitting in deep sh!t.

Population

2eyj4ht.jpg

Overall , Rural is shrinking, (by many factors, draught, famine, lack of rain, war)urbanisation is increasing, Poverty is increasing, inequality, is increasing, Majority of people have no access to basic necessities, food, health, education.

Unethical business and behaviour is increasing, it is dog eat dog world, many regions print money that has serious and dangerous consequences specially for the poor, with no understand or care the consequences, business bring out of date or fake medications, with zero regulations, and so on.

while the percentage of rural decreasing, has silver lining,(Majority of SOMALI conflict, still now, and in the past get oxygen from rural, it is easier to get few uneducated Geeljire with AK47s that has no understanding of what they fighting for,) it has introduced another major problem, the increase of MAXJAR, abattoirs, that send meat overseas, which does but LAB and DHADIG, (in the past DHAGIG were all available to local only) the export of XOOLA debada,, smaller rural, had effect on food security, and access to protein, many will not believe but a kilo of meat is not more expensive in SOMALIA than many countries.

New techniques, cultural change, large scale farming, fishing must be introduced. I was watching youtube the other day, on the famine/draught, there was older guy in Burco, he was saying, this famine is disaster , it forced us to eat fish, for first time :)

galbeedi   

Maakhiri said,

" Overall , Rural is shrinking, (by many factors, draught, famine, lack of rain, war)urbanisation is increasing, Poverty is increasing, inequality, is increasing,.

That is the basic fact.

Illyria,

The Puntland budget you presented did not add up to the final tally.

world bank donation estimate : 1,612,588 x 12 = 19,350,696

United Nation yearly aid: 5,588,000

7 district monthly revenue 576,496 x 12 = 6,935,952

Total yearly budget estimate of Puntland = 31, 893, 648

This budget is similar to the one presented by Puntland last year .

so, you must bring the real break down to reach the so called 160 million. We might not be correct always, but at least we follow what is going on in Somali government's finances, and for me that 160 million is huge surprise.

Illyria   

Galbeedi,

I thought you were a reading man; show malaha ninkaagani lafaha hoose ayaad geeljire ka ahayd; ya badaawi;—) sorry, could not resist taking a soft dig at your expense. Besides, I am in a charitable mood today, and shall indulge you.

Here is the relevant info. See the last worksheet titled “sheet9”, and you will notice a budget line item 13103, row 58 column D.

Budget breakdown, 2017.

Again, our focus must be upon creating skilled work force (notice I did not say educated), which in turn would accelerate the ability & tools to lowering overall poverty rate, if unable to eradicate it altogether, availing clean water to the locals, and creating sustainable native economic development projects incl. modernising livestock & husbandry industries, and fishery and marine resources..

Best of luck.

galbeedi   

Illyria,

Saaxiib we are all geeljire, and usually those who hail from central Somalia are more Geeljire than those us from the west.

In your earlier post ,you did not present an actual chart but you just trowed some numbers, and i missed some. . Even the new chart that shows the real break is misleading. Since most, if not, 50% of the budget is coming from donors, they usually demand some kind of financial management schemes in order to dole out the money. THe logical move from the leaders is to create a false narrative misleading charts in order to qualify for the aid, and Somalis or regional minions are clever to mislead and present false numbers in order to mislead the donors who does not care about the end result of the budget.

Saaxiib,

All this numbers are for tribal consumption and misleading for the donors. The Puntland budget at the calendar year of 2014-2015 was 29 million dollars, and the estimate could probably have been higher. Now, how can a budget grow from 30 million to 160 million within two years?? that is impossible, especially for a year were the north east suffered a devastating drought for livestock and rural economy.

In fact if you remove the 20 million or so foreign aid from the budget , Puntland will be luck to generate another 30 million. in your charts it showed that the estimated budget of 2016 was around 70 million. How can a budget grow 140% in one single year where a severe drought affected the economy?. Remove the aid and that estimate will not reach even 30m. In the year of 2015-2016, they estimated a 60 million , and if you remove the foreign aid ,they settled around 35-40 million. So , you can not go from low thirties of 2016, to 160 million just after one year.In 2016, Puntland soldiers took over the parliament for the luck of salary of almost few months.

Look, you might be an educated fellow, but i will advice you not to follow these false charts of the enclaves which is totally intended to mislead and cheat both the people and donors. Yes, there is livestock export, taxes on telecom and the Boosaaso port, which is the main engine of the economy produces some internal revanue, but the bureaucracy does not have the capacity for sound tax collection or safeguard the tax payer money. I used to follow Somaliland budget estimates which ministers over estimate. In 2014, he estimated around 250 million, but at the end of the year it barely reached 126 million. As I said in these pages, the Punties are following the foot steps of Somaliland to lie and deceive.

Finally , do not be fooled by these numbers, no budget could grow from 70m-to 160m without any new found natural resources or miracles, and financial miracles that bring unforeseen money do not happen in Somali run provinces. The company I work generates over 20 million and all that sales and other productions are done in one single building with cubicles. Somalis have become masters when it comes to misappropriation and misleading, even the diaspora communities become clever of how to account for the grants, and prepare illusive activities that covers tgheir tracks.

I know it's disappointing for some Somali person to be told that your enclave is and it;s leaders are nothing more than a fraud that misleads it's people with false pride that does not improve the lives of average citizen. Of course their are military economy, NGO; jails that look hotels and others, but when was the last time anyone built a hospital?

Brother, try and help bring peace order and good governance to the Somali nation state which in turn could help all of us reach our potentials. Forgery about the false enclave that and it's false charts.

If you really want to know what goes in these places, let us do real research and find out what is their actual revenues, . You will be surprised.

Furthermore, in you combine the total population of Togdheer, Sool, Sanaag and Nugaal, and compare those in Shabeelaha hoose , you will be surprised.

Guys, don't read those budget numbers, they are almost fake.

Else, how in the world , can you explain an increase of 160% in a year, without finding a new source of revenue? either your old budget calculations were wrong , or you are wrong now. These corrupted leaders have fanthom army, fanthom public servants, that are in the books, but does not exist(Most for misappropriation), and inflate budget.

Illyria   

Galbeedi,

Am only feeding you a spoonful of goodies a piece at a time as if a huntsman feeding his quarry prior to effecting the final blow, for you appear not to have acquired the requisite flair for researching obscure subjects beyond your sphere, yet so full of misplaced gumption, which I find rather endearing. Ata lad. Again, keep the arguments brief and precise, if you so could, should you want me to follow your logic, and repeat not yourself where applicable.

Ya badaawi, “geeljirenimo” is the highest accolade one could bestow upon a nomad, yet it appears you have not developed shine for “kaftan”, and are still in the Dila sticks; kaftan aside though, I think we said all that could be said on the matter; so, moving along.

Addendum:

But first, allow me to let you in a little secret; in my most recent visit to the region, esp. the said two regions, I paid a close attention to three areas of interest namely:

a) Work force & skillset,

b) Cost of Qat, socially and economically with an emphasis upon hard currency leaving the country in planes, and

c) Revenue generating constructs along with VAT collection mechanism.

I was saddened by the former (a), shocked by secundus (b), and encouraged by the latter ©.

On the heels of such discoveries, and with respect to the former, I paid sanctioned visits to the old Hargeisa Polytechnic, now a budding university, EA Bosaso, one of the better seats of learning in the region, and GTec (Garowe), a teacher training facility; equally of interest, and in good spirit, I paid guided visits to the ministries of finances in both regions, and main ports ( Bossaso & Berbera in that order).

These were not casually mere stopovers, but deliberately inspecting, if guided, yet unscientific, and only armed with my engineering trained skills & tools, by local authorities with general directors furnishing discernible data. Valuable data, not for public consumption, I gleaned, ergo my enthusiasm, and less cynicism, unlike you young Turks spewing malevolent rhetoric.

With duly enthusiasm, I entered, was consumed by melancholy with tears being shed during, but left with smiles, aspirations, and hope.

A great deal of potential, there i observed with silent heroes all round.

Word to the wise, give politics a rest, and instead focus upon and invest in, brain and brawn, what & where (skill, re-acculturating, and hard work ethics) [it] matters the most.

Adjunct:

Bemused, I was with this bold statement; how dare you sir, attempt to engage in a serious conversation with data as deprecated as 80s'; do you not recall what was going in the NE regions back then? This was at the height of the armed rebellion with the majority of the population displaced in the said regions, most at the time, living in Somali Galbeed (DDSI) with entire villages burnt to the ground; I did not relaise I was conversing with a young lad still hanging unto the tail of his dear mama’s skirt (irresistible joke; hana gadoodin dee sida reerka lagu yaqaan ;--). It is all in jest.

Put it, let me in a perspective you could identify with, with your being a nomad and all, shall I? Do you recall Borama back in the 80s prior to Awdal being designated as a region, and even years after Baki was the designate capital for the then would-be regional Awdal region? Do you recall how tiny Borama was back then (it was technically a daabiyad, even if that) in terms of population and city-wise in comparison to today? If so, then let that be a comparable barometer for your burgeoning wit when engaging in discussion concerning NE regions, or any other region in the old country now that we have established your restrained, if contrived exposure.

"In the early eighties when I traveled the highway from Gaalkacayo to Garoowe, the only village that was visible was Burtine, with two blocks on both side of the highway. "

Till then,

I shall bid you farewell.

galbeedi   

Thanks brother.

I do really respect those young Somalis who go back home and contribute for the development of our people , especially engineers like you.

In my old days in Gahayr University, we used to say " Engineeri nor parlano , ma rispondono con I numeri", which means engineers do not talk much , but answer with numbers. I know Somali politics is a headache but we should at least try to reclaim our nation and have a place among free nations.

Also, when I traveled that highway in 1981 to Mogadishu, the SSDF insurgency was active and most of the towns were abandoned by the people. Brother, I know the price you guys paid, " Barkadaha la gubay iyo dadka qaxay" , yet as a proud people you never complain about Siyaad Barre and what he has done to North East.

The country is different than what it used to be long ago. I Am also a believer of hard work and gaining life skills . Politics arranges the system but what made these societies prosperous is hard work and education.

Any way, habeen wanaagsan. Inkasta oonan ka seexan karaynba waxan Soomaalida lagu hayo ciilkeeda iyo cadhadeeda.