Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Yusur Abrar: A Candidate for Ministry of Finance or the Central Bank

According to some Somali outlets, she is in Mogadishu, a possible pick for Ministry of Finance or Governor of the Central Bank. An excellent pick if it materializes.

Che,

Much as I regret the loss of Ms. Abrar from the Somaliland camp in the past 7 years, she's a highly qualified individual of the highest integrity. It would be a high-caliber choice on Farmaajo's part to pick her.

Mintid,

She's indeed qualified, one of the few people that actually know what they are doing. Her international exposure is a plus. Somalia needs a sound monetary policy.

The question is: If she's picked in either role, will the Farmaajo administration be able to guarantee her physical security given the enemies she's made during her short stint as Central Banker.

After all, she delivered the biggest blow to the financial coffers of the previous administration with her exposure of corrupt practices at a time when the financial spigots where about to open (a time of great hope for a civil-society president, Hassan Sheikh, if you remember).

Oodweyne,

It's a fair criticism of the lady that you have put forth.

What can I say but.... 'Clan is everything in the Somali peninsula!'

I'm not sure Farmaajo and Hassan Kheyre will pick her in a financial capacity if they hope to continue looting. She would be a dangerous wildcard in their midst who has enough financial independence personally to act as a whistleblower.

However, she would be an effective advocate for the new administration in communicating with international donors.

galbeedi   

Well , as usual you are complimenting one another by accusing this fine lady as tribal because she visited Hargeisa and dinned with wife of former president Rayaale.

Mr.Oodweyne , you mentioned that you saw her once along the wife of Rayaale dinning in Hargeisa. People visit their families as they wish, but busy and professional people usually go home once in a decade, especially those who live in North America.

You both agree that by taking a job at the Somali Central Bank in 2012, she is tribal and against Somaliland. That is the most ridiculous and clannish statement to justify your attack on this fine lady. In 2011, Fowsiya Haji Aadan had a political party in Somaliland , which failed to pass for the second round, yet after one year she left for Mogadishu and she became the foreign minister of Somalia. I bet non of you said she was tribal by leaving Somaliland. What a logic. In fact , there was some officials who left Hargeisa while they were directors, and then joined directly the Somali government.

Further more , nowadays, I do not think any self respecting professional person would join the incompetent, corrupt, disorganized and family run government of Siilaanyo. Who would join Cakuuse, Cadaani, Biixi and others ? I don't think so.

galbeedi   

I do not want to over kill, but I know their family. Their father was a diplomat and died with plain crush in Somalia in 1981. The whole family is educated. last year when I visited iMinneaplois, I met her older sister who is a medical doctor, and she was managing a healthcare company in the suburb of Minneaplis.

They never involved any thing tribal or sectarian, Successful people do not have time for tribal issues. I Could say by far the "Abraar" family is one of the most educated and successful Somali families in north America. Imagine three women all having not only advanced degrees, but also successful profession.

We all want to fight corruption, but the best people who could help succeed are hard to find. As they say, the gold is hidden. Also, the best people are busy with their lives.

If Farmaajo targets those kind of people , there will hope.

If this is true, We should welcome it anyone like her, she is GOLD and would serve SOMALIA well.

Hope we get more people like her moving back, The majority of people in SOMALIA, educated or not, can't even distinguish what is fraud or not, since it became the norm.

said:

Well , as usual you are complimenting one another by accusing this fine lady as tribal because she visited Hargeisa and dinned with wife of former president Rayaale.

Mr.Oodweyne , you mentioned that you saw her once along the wife of Rayaale dinning in Hargeisa. People visit their families as they wish, but busy and professional people usually go home once in a decade, especially those who live in North America.

You both agree that by taking a job at the Somali Central Bank in 2012, she is tribal and against Somaliland. That is the most ridiculous and clannish statement to justify your attack on this fine lady. In 2011, Fowsiya Haji Aadan had a political party in Somaliland , which failed to pass for the second round, yet after one year she left for Mogadishu and she became the foreign minister of Somalia. I bet non of you said she was tribal by leaving Somaliland. What a logic. In fact , there was some officials who left Hargeisa while they were directors, and then joined directly the Somali government.

Further more , nowadays, I do not think any self respecting professional person would join the incompetent, corrupt, disorganized and family run government of Siilaanyo. Who would join Cakuuse, Cadaani, Biixi and others ? I don't think so.

said:

I do not want to over kill, but I know their family. Their father was a diplomat and died with plain crush in Somalia in 1981. The whole family is educated. last year when I visited iMinneaplois, I met her older sister who is a medical doctor, and she was managing a healthcare company in the suburb of Minneaplis.

They never involved any thing tribal or sectarian, Successful people do not have time for tribal issues. I Could say by far the "Abraar" family is one of the most educated and successful Somali families in north America. Imagine three women all having not only advanced degrees, but also successful profession.

We all want to fight corruption, but the best people who could help succeed are hard to find. As they say, the gold is hidden. Also, the best people are busy with their lives.

If Farmaajo targets those kind of people , there will hope.

Galbeedi,

You need to relax, my friend. What part of my praises of Ms. Abrar did you not understand? Or is it the simple admission of the perennial Somali characteristic of clannism that has got you in a huff & puff? If we would just honestly accept this characteristic, endemic in the Somali people, we might be able to move forward.

But yet, you wish to regale us with 'Somalinimo' and 'Somaliweyn' monologues when at the mere mention of a clansman or clanswoman, you head for the 'spear'. You're too far gone to see that you're simply proving my point that for Somalis 'Clan is Everything!'.

Then you go on with exaggerated stories of how that particular family is so exceptional for achieving 'Graduate Degrees' and 'Successful Professions'. That only shows how tiny your socialiazation circle is(clannism, anyone)???. I can show you in one N. American city 4 families from Galkacayo that have achieved just as much, if not more. It's 2017, and Somalis in the diaspora have achieved accreditations only dreamed of by their parents. The Abrars are an accompished family but they are not unique in that characteristic. It's not 1954!

So to calm your tribal passions, here I go again:

Once again, Ms. Abrar on the personal and financial level is of the highest integrity and honesty. But as a person who chose to be in the public/political realm she's open to criticism for the political choices and swaps she makes in her public profile. In the same way that Fowzia Y. Adan is open to criticism for similar flip-flopping.

This is a political forum where those in the political sphere are criticized daily. Get used to it, even if it's your clansmen or clanswomen.