Sign in to follow this  
Oodweyne

Circling The Square In Somalia.

Oodweyne   

Circling The Square In Somalia:- by Abukar Arman.

Somalia is headed to the right direction. But ‘right direction’ doesn’t mean a path free of pitfalls and clear of landmines. A new President who inspired renewed sense of optimism within the Somali people has been elected by the parliament.

In his inauguration speech, the new President—Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed (Farmaajo)—has highlighted the direction that he wants to take his country. He underscored how the supremacy of the law is the central pillar of any viable State. ‘Sareynta sharcigu waa udub dhexaadka dowladnimada.’ He also asserted that his government will be committed to strengthening the supremacy of the law as stipulated in the Somali constitution ‘(In xukuumadeydu ay) si dastuuri ah u xoojindoonto awoodda sharciga.’

It is no secret that President Farmaajo is faced with multiple problems that demand his attention. Realistically speaking, he will not be able to solve all of them within his four year mandate.

This is not to set off the alarm for political or paranoiac moral urgency. This simply is an attempt to amplify the fact that unless Somalia ends its ever-present culture of impunity, reconstituting a viable Somali state would remain a figment of imagination.

There is a difference between political pragmatism which compels leaders to make certain undesirable deals as necessary compromises and gulping down the very toxic cocktail mixed to suck the life out of you.

As one of the majority of Somalis who would like to see the new President succeed, we cannot remain forever intoxicated with the post-election euphoria. So President Farmaajo must employ the ER approach to governance. in which life-threatening injuries are given more urgent attention than broken bones. Corruption presents an existential danger to this ailing nation. It is the main reason why Somalia is condemned into perpetual dependency.

This scandalous controversy marks a dark spot on his reputation as the desperately awaited people’s hero who came to crackdown on corruption. How fast he washes it off will determine how deep the stain may penetrate.

The nominee, by virtue of being a man who lived in the West long enough, and a civilian friend with extraordinary political influence of the previous president, one would think he should know better. In the past four years, the current nominee has witnessed three different Prime Ministers undergoing through the constitutional process before assuming their responsibilities.

President Farmaajo will either disassociate himself with this group by recanting his nomination for the egregious constitutional violation or risk being seen as an accomplice. Securing Soma Oil and Gas a direct access to the national executive power is tantamount to putting Dracula in charge of the blood bank of this ailing nation.

PS: Source:- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/circling-the-square-in-somalia_us_58b64a7ae4b02f3f81e44e2c

Oodweyne   

^^^Mintid,

Yes, I quite agree with you, that Hassan Kheyre, really is a man who knows a thing or two about how to "butter" up his daily bread with all manner of "corrupt practices". And for good measure, he seems to be in "political sync" with the likes of Mr Hassan Sheikh Mahamoud (HSM), who seemed to have been in power for the last 4 years or so solely so that he will really fattened up (or juice-up) his bank account. Even, if he had to smile to everyone who he come across to, specifically, with most angelic smile imaginable.

Hence, I am sure of it that the new Prime-minister will simply get going from where the corrupt politics of Mogadishu, as exemplified by the likes of Hassan Sheikh Mahamoud (HSM), have left it off when he was defeated in the recent presidential's musical-chairs-change-over in Mogadishu.

Of course, our unionist brethren (like most folks in this forum), who in turn are the sort of folks I like to characterize them as the sort of folks who never-fail to be "irrationally exuberant" (to quote your apt description of these folks) about the latest passing pseudo-government of Mogadishu will continue to believe that such a "sordid deal" that has brought this Mr Kheyre fellow into the fulcrum of power-politics in Somalia will indeed have the potential to "birth" a new crisply clean government in Mogadishu.

Which means, the best we can do for them, is to say lets hope they shan't sell their properties in the western's world in the hope of them thinking, that, finally, the break of a "political dawn" is at hand in Somalia. And therefore their long nightmare of a "Diasporic existence", is, at last, at an end.

Oodweyne,

The word on Hassan Kheyre is of a man who has established excellent contacts in the entire South and is considered by those who know him as a very smooth operator. To put it clearly to you, he's considered a very effective 'dilaal'! Whether he can translate that into effective political management is to be seen.

But the fact that Abukar Arman is already writing a denunciation of Hassan Kheyre indicates that things might not be as smooth in Mogadishu re:the PM choice. Having said that, I'll be surprised if he doesn't get endorsed by the Mogadishu parliament.

Meanwhile, our 'cagdheer' cousins in the Kismayo-Kenyan border region are holding feverish meetings with the elites of Puntland regarding the new President & how to protect their joint interests if the road gets rocky.

Oodweyne   

^^^Mintid,

Interesting, indeed. And what I would say about this Kheyre fellow is that he really is a "hustler" of the kind that anyone from any run-down inner city ghetto in America or western's Europe could easily peg him to a tee and define him through his scam. Particularly, if they were to see his moves in a broad daylight.

But, still, I believe that he is been "handpicked" to make sure the financial and political elites in and around Hassan Sheikh Mahamoud (HSM) in Mogadishu and his backers there can be persuaded to work with this Farmaajo fellow. Furthermore, of course, these Mogadishu's cabal will indeed get their share of the loot that comes to Mogadishu through the federal government.

And, not to be out done, I see our "long-footed-chaps" are feeling a certain political cold-shoulders on the part of Mr Farmaajo, of whom, rightly or wrongly, they think he is in the "pocket" of the Mogadishu folks.

On the other hand, as you may well know, the political elites of Pirate-land (particularly the likes of Mr Gass) would rather accept a "settlement-obsessed-Zionist politician", especially air-lifted from Israel, before he allow himself to submit to the political ruler-ship of the likes of Mr Farmaajo, who he thinks will not be a certain "sugar daddy" who will give him the loot he needs from the federal's coffers in-order to run his ramshackle entity that seems to be on its last legs, at least financially.

Hence, I know that Mr Gass would rather go to Ethiopia and say to the leadership there, that: "since you have ideological difference with the likes of Mr Farmaajo; and, I, in turn, would gladly accept a "Talmudic-quoting-Zionist", who may fly in from Israel just that minute, before I accept the "ruler-ship" of this Fermaajo fellow, then, I think, we can work together in thwarting his "Mogadishu-based-agenda", that has neither of our respective interest at heart".

However, be that as it may, what I didn't know before was the how the relationship between the "long-footed-chaps" in Jubba-land and the Farmaajo's folks (i.e., Ilka-Yar , or "small-teethed-folks") have deteriorated to this extend. Lets hope for the best for all of them.

galbeedi   

Oodweyne,

few threads ago I heard you mention that you are looking forward to retire back home and help students. When I see the way you write the English language i wish you could go home early and teach those journalist and others to write better. As an enterprising businessman, who knows, one day I may publish a weekly magazine of Somali affairs and hire you as a feature writer. You could write about the horn of Africa and the larger world rather close yourself in Small enclave .

On serious note, I did mention last week that a man who visited Mogadishu told me that Khayre is hard working. In fact , As I remember , his exact words were, " he was the one of few people who was working hard in Somalia.

Let me spill another secret that I just found out that Khayre was a " Hiil Qaran" fellow when Ahmed Samatar was running for our party in 2012. So, as a full card carrying member of Hiil Qaran, this our prime minister and will support when he does good and correct him when he makes mistakes.

Mr. Abukar Armaan is a good man , but he is blinded probably by his own personal interest and loyalty to Shariif Ahmed. He was the American envoy of President Shariif Hassan. He was hoping a shariif presidency.

Foreign companies might pay bribes or other things to advance their interest, but they will never hire an incompetent manager to oversee hundreds of millions of dollars. This man is one of the few professional Somalis who reached higher management positions in the private sector. I will bet Abuker Armaan and many arm chair Somali politicians have never worked in their lives in the private sector.

I have two good friends in this town. One involves with civic communities and local Somali issues. By far he is one of the productive members of Somali communities serving "uruada Soomaalida". To do any thing tangible, he has to wait government grant to help others. He chooses his hours as he wishes, but he is not accountable to anyone. It is up t him to serve the people.

The other friend is running a distribution company. He stared as supervisor, then operation manager and finally he became a manager 5 years ago. He does not have the same education level like the other guy , but he is more valuable. He is running a $30 million dollar company . He goes to work 6:00am and manages to distribute vaccines, drugs, frozen gel cabs, medical drugs and other valuables across Northern Alberta. His company must deliver these products on time whether it is -40 degree , raining or shining. He is on conference call throughout 20 other branches to coordinate the smooth distribution of the goods.

If someone is missing , he will fill himself. In the five months of winter when things are busy and messy because of weather related issues, he will finish 6pm, five days a week. On the weekends, his blackberry must be on just in case a truck carrying expensive drugs could not make to arrive , so it must be rescheduled for Sunday unloading. He has 20 employees , and every thing is run in small office and big warehouse.

If I have to hire someone to do a real job, I would hire the latter one , not the community activist who mostly talks.

I think Prime minister Khayre is the latter one, and I hope he hires professional people like Yusur Abraar and others. Because we got the job done.

It is too early to label him with anything, Give the guy a break, Khayre is facing Big challenges, and does not need discouragement or labelling.

This godforsaken country, needs your support,, and no more negativity.

Galbeedi, Waryaa this is small town, Why are you talking about me? lol

galbeedi   

Maakhiri1,

Saaxiib, thanks for the reminder. Just before I went to bed last night , I read this Armaan article and the doom and gloom of the SNM boys and I tried to throw some stones toward them , and in the process a I have thrown a friend under the bus.

Lately I have been all over the board in SOL. Maybe I should take some break and come back in two weeks when the honorable prime minister nominates his counsel of ministers.

In the meantime, " Arrivederci Cari amici".