Sign in to follow this  
galbeedi

Ahmed Huseen became Canad's immigration minister.

galbeedi   

It is a good day for Somalis in Canada. It is just the beginning of more Somalis entering, both the public and private sectors of the Canadian society.

We could do even more in the community level if the "old guard" Dinosaur's leave the community offices they are holding by force. " we are Somali Canadians who immigrated this country as a refugees, but our children are Canadians of Somali heritage, there is a big difference", That is what I told a sixty years old man trying to decide the directions and the future of the Somalis in this province. We need people with no accent who could navigate easily the modern world shaped by technology and education.

The time has come for the new generation of Somalis to the our issues from the old guard who are slow and weak in so many ways. I ask those between 20-35 years old Somalis to lead, especially i the diaspora.

When Mp Ahmed Huseen visited our town , he specifically met about 25 Somali youths from universities and high school and they had a very productive workshop. My son was one of the Somali university student leaders and he was delighted to meet a hard working successful Somali who is in the Canadian parliament. That meeting gave them a lot of inspiration.

Let me finish to congratulate Minister Ahmed for a job well done.

galbeedi   

The world is changing. The out going immigration and citizenship minister Mr. John McCalllum--- who is a very good man, managed the processing of thousands of Syrian refugees last year--is 65 years old, the outgoing foreign minister is a uni-lingual French Canadian who was in parliament for 20 years. Chrystia freeland is the new foreign minister to confront the realty TV president and his men.

The new generation of Canadians are taking power. South of the border, lunatics few billionaires, and know-nothing buffoons are taking over. Canada will school them in heath care, peace keeping and trade.

Oh Canada our home and native land.....

Good for him, I met the guy once. He seemed well informed and level headed. I hope the next generation. The only way to make a difference is to be at the tables where decisions are being made.

We must also remember Ilhan Omar. Her election to Minnesota State legislature will hopefully inspire others in the MN and elsewhere in the US.

Seriously, Canada is a great place.

Well done and Congrats Ahmed, it is great news for Somalis, agreat acheivement, and next target First minister/Prime Minister, which is possible!

galbeedi   

It is great achievement. People outside our communities only hear the bad news, especially the young Somalis who fell in the cracks , but there are a new generation of Somalis who are learning and working hard. Their positive impact will be felt soon in the coming years.

As i said, we need to pass the torch. Last month a Somali activist who probably raised in this country was interviewed by the local public radio about mental health and the young Somalis , who because of their trauma ended up in jails rather than helped through the health care system. I was pleased the way she expressed her agenda without being victim or pushy. Their is certain ways local Canadians interact with the media.

Usually , we used to listen someone who is not fluent or heavy accented like me, and people will say, " is there no other person in this community to speak for their issues" . we need the new generation who are proud and less sectarian.

ElPunto   

said:

Congrats ElPunto. Great achievement for the Somalis.

He is muslim

He is Black

He is an immigrant.

I laughed at this. It's not me although he is a friend. :P

I agree with Galbeedi - hopefully we get a whole bunch of younger, educated and culturally aware Somali Canadians to run. I just hope that they don't think this is another 'dukaan' type thing they open right next each other. Winning public office actually takes a lot of preparation, groundwork and networking.

One of my black friends was talking about how the much longer established black communities have been unable to achieve this feat. Somalida waa dad fir-fircoon. I just hope they focus on using that in a positive manner.

Seriously - a great day for Somalis not just in Canada but around the world. I remember in the 1990s when Somalis in Canada were refused permanent residence because they were unable to prove their identity as refugees. The case went to the Supreme Court and they won. And now some 20 years later - the same group of folks have one of their own as the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship.

Just another proof that Canada is the truly the best country in the world. We may be cold, overtaxed and somewhat boring but no place better to be an immigrant.

Holac   

I laughed at this. It’s not me although he is a friend.
:P

Whatever you say ElPunto. Whatever you say!!! :)

Awesome results! Is this the first black minister in Canada?

galbeedi   

El-Punto, when I say new generation of Somalis, I do not mean they should run for office only. I am talking about joining the professional class of Engineers, doctors, lawyers, skilled trades men , nursing and business. Some can set up consulting firms, construction companies and so forth.

I agree, : Dukaan la iska ag furto ma shaqaynayso". To win elected office means getting the necessary experience and working with others.

It is all about the mind set of the community. For those who work hard and get the necessary life skills , they will be always successful in Canada . Of course it is tough and cold climate hat needs adaptation and preparation. Just stay away from the victim culture that keeps people dependent. Do not pay attention to the so called victim groups. They will keep talking about being black, native Indian or other categories, but they will never help you to succeed. Find your own stake in this vast continental country and you will be fine.