Sign in to follow this  
Mooge

MP Ahmed Hussen spoke at the Parliament of Canada

Tallaabo   

The big question is why can't Somali politicians work for the best interest of their constituents in their homeland the way they do in other countries? We saw honesty and good work ethitics from Somali politicians in North America and Europe but why do those in the Horn of Africa are a curse for our people?

Holac   

^ You raise a good point. I think most people who go back to Somalia are losers who couldn't make it in the West. Many are qualified and go back to help the country, but most of the returnees are not suitable for the jobs they are holding. I know enough guys who failed here in the US but went back to Somalia and became "big shots". :)

It all comes down to accountability I guess. And that's something very foreign to our people back home (locals and politicians alike). The elected Somali politicians in the West know well if they don't deliver they will be voted out , and also know well that any idea of thieving the public's money will have a serious ramification for their own freedom...

Halac is also correct on the qualifications or rather lack of it for most politicians calling the shots back home.

xabad   

said:

It all comes down to accountability I guess. And that's something very foreign to our people back home (locals and politicians alike). The elected Somali politicians in the West know well if they don't deliver they will be voted out , and also know well that any idea of thieving the public's money will have a serious ramification for their own freedom...

Halac is also correct on the qualifications or rather lack of it for most politicians calling the shots back home.

I agree.

I was once reading a Kenyan writer talk about how even the worst African drivers who flaunt all road rules once in a developed city say Paris become law abiding.

He was at loss to explain this phenomenon.

its not hard to explain really! Nin waalan miyir kiisa qabaa as they say. Africans know full well what they are doing is criminal and counterproductive but they persist because they are no repercussions.

galbeedi   

I agree. There are also some good and educated people in the parliament who do not have the connections or the means to affect change. They just sit there and watch as Damjadiid and others shuffle the deck with incompetent people. Some who were out spoken were also murdered by unknown assassins.

I also learned that " the few good men and women" who could have made the difference are either busy or not interested the job. Unless you are retired or a well to do person financially, it is hard to participate the Somali politics. The good people are hard workers and are busy with paying their bills, raising family, paying their mortgages and other daily life issues. A person who has done or achieved nothing and failed in the diaspora is the typical Somali who is participating back home.

You do not have to be a an experienced politician, all you need to do is work hard, be honest and have a passion for what you are involved. Mohamed Farmaajo and C/Rahman Bayle were two people who were busy with their jobs and I could say that they had a passion and purpose which helped them achieve something.

Dahir Rayaale, once sais " Mar dambe Ayaan ogaanay, Ilayn dadka qurbaha nooga yinid waxay ahaayeen dadkii nolosha qurbaha ka bixi kari waayey", I personally know guys " Muqayiliin", who left family behind and become ministers in Hargeisa.

Somali leaders in the West have to work within a system that demands accountability and shuns blind loyalty.

Somalia needs a transformational leader that could not only set up such system but also change people's thinking in terms of their leadership choice.

Tallaabo   

So we all agree the root cause of the Somali political crisis both current and historic is the lack of accountability and (I add) transparency and justice. The clan issues only magnify and distort the problems caused by the lack of trust which is itself caused by the absence of accountability, transparency, and justice.