Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Ereybixin iyo Af Soomaaliga

galbeedi   

Every thing is here. I think we should re learn the language in order to write it and use all this new words. Just like English or any Latin language, to write a somali book or even an article , one must learn and get an education to be a good Soomaali writer.

Tallaabo   

said:

A collection of all the ereybixin the different ministeries came up with when the language was written. A true treasure trove:

Diiwaanka%20Ereybixinta%20Af-Soomaaliga_Qaybta%201aad.pdf

I had a quick glance of this document and found one error:

Moth is translated as a balanbaalis which is wrong. Moth is a different specie altogether and should have a different name in Somali.

Haatu   

said:

Every thing is here. I think we should re learn the language in order to write it and use all this new words. Just like English or any Latin language, to write a somali book or even an article , one must learn and get an education to be a good Soomaali writer.

Definitely. The people before spoken correctly without the need to learn the grammar. However, nowadays many, many people make grammatical mistakes when speaking.

said:

Absolutely amazing.

What fantastic work that generation has done we have squandered it.

One of the biggest setbacks is the fact that children are no longer taught in Somali.

said:

I had a quick glance of this document and found one error:

Moth is translated as a balanbaalis which is wrong. Moth is a different specie altogether and should have a different name in Somali.

Sxb dhammaad ma ahee, waa bilow laga ambaqaadi kara.

Haatu   

I have a question. What do you call a 'corridor' in Somali?

Where I'm from we just say 'labadhaxda', i.e. that which is in between two places which is what a corridor literally is.

Haatu   

For a while now I have been thinking of a Somali word for obesity. I recently came across the word 'bardaq' which according to the dictionary means "Qof buuran oo jir jilicsan leh". As you can see this is a very good candidate for the translation of obese.

Obesity would therefore be bardaqsanaan. When put in a sentence it would become for example: "Ololaha ka hortagga bardaqsanaanta" (Campaign for the prevention of obesity).

What do you guys think? Do you know of a better word for obesity?

xabad   

said:

For a while now I have been thinking of a Somali word for obesity. I recently came across the word
'bardaq'
which according to the dictionary means
"Qof buuran oo jir jilicsan leh"
. As you can see this is a very good candidate for the translation of obese.

Obesity would therefore be
bardaqsanaan
. When put in a sentence it would become for example:
"Ololaha ka hortagga bardaqsanaanta"
(Campaign for the prevention of obesity).

Simply call it, cayilka

Tallaabo   

said:

I have a question. What do you call a 'corridor' in Somali?

Where I'm from we just say 'labadhaxda', i.e. that which is in between two places which is what a corridor literally is.

Luuq is probably the word you are looking for.

Tallaabo   

said:

For a while now I have been thinking of a Somali word for obesity. I recently came across the word
'bardaq'
which according to the dictionary means
"Qof buuran oo jir jilicsan leh"
. As you can see this is a very good candidate for the translation of obese.

Obesity would therefore be
bardaqsanaan
. When put in a sentence it would become for example:
"Ololaha ka hortagga bardaqsanaanta"
(Campaign for the prevention of obesity).

I am very close to cursing you Mr Haatu for remining me of a terrible word. Yes bardaq was the word used to violate my human rights when I was a child and food was my best friend :-D

Haatu   

said:

arar iyo afeef

what does this mean ? ^

Don't you use the dictionary? (The link is in the first post). All these words and much more are there.

But since you asked:

Arar(-ta): 1. Dhulka u dhow ee ku heeran ceel ama degaan. 2. Gogoldhigga loo sameeyo hadal ama qoraal. 3. Daaqidda ay xoolo la waraabshey soo daaqaan inta ayan rakaadan. As you can see it has three meanings but the one in bold is the one that is meant mostly. Also, the beginning part of a poem (where the poet nearly always claims to have left poetry for quite a while despite constantly composing them!) is also called an 'arar'. Scientifically, the abstract of a research paper is also called an arar.

Afeef(-ta): Hadal, kolka la doodayo la hormarsado, og waxyaalo la oran doono marmarsiinyo looga dhigo, ama waxyaalo laga baqayo soo qaadkood lagu gudbo. Basically an introduction. Or more precisely an introduction that sets the scene for a challenging topic or something you are reluctant to talk about.

As a little bonus, if you were ever to write an essay in Somali, the structure would be as follows (to the best of my knowledge):

Arar (Abstract)

Gogoldhig/Afeef (Introduction)

Duluc (Main)

Gunaanad (Conclusion)

said:

hagardaamo

Hagardaamo(-ada, pl. hagardaamooyin-ka): Dhibaato cid aan ka digtoonayn lagu sameeyo.

xabad   

Don’t you use the dictionary? (The link is in the first post). All these words and much more are there.

I will do so, i keep forgetting it. Thanks Macalin Haatu