Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Ereybixin iyo Af Soomaaliga

Haatu   

Also in NFD, there's a variety in dialects. Some speak the standard Northern dialect in a Southern accent (same as reer Jubba), some speak Af Booran, and some speak a dialect very similar to Banaadiri.

Haatu   

<cite>
said:</cite>

It means some communities in the south Somalia speak a northern dialect that doesn't mean Somali as a language originated in the north Somalia.

According to experts, Af Maay is actually the precursor for modern standard Somali.

This brings me to something. Why is standard Somali called Northern Somali when it's spoken in all over the Somali lands?

xabad   

Hutu, are you majoring in linguistics ?

Afaan Booran is spoken by Garre's only.

All the Somali clans in NFD speak a peculiar accent, not Southern, not Waamo, waa wax iyaga ugaar ah.

I have noticed an improvement in their Somali since Qaxootis came over. The presence of their brethren has done them a world of good, they've become assertive politically and economically. Waxay heleen confidence. Wajir folk particularly have taken to Somalis.

Miyir   

<cite>

According to experts, Af Maay is actually the precursor for modern standard Somali.

This brings me to something. Why is standard Somali called Northern Somali when it's spoken in all over the Somali lands?

Add other South Somali dialects spoken in the South only Jiidu, Tuni, Gare, Dabare.

Gare speaks a Somali dialect, hard to understand dialect but not Borana. Have You heard Dabare or Jiidu dialects? Af Maay speakers wouldn't understand.

Standard Somali is spoken mainly in the Centre of Somalia, I meant the BBC Somali as you Call it lol, North, east and South Somalis speak Standard Somali with a tinge of local dialects.

xabad   

<cite>

Add other South Somali dialects spoken in the South only Jiidu, Tuni, Gare, Dabare.

Gare speaks a Somali dialect, hard to understand dialect
but not Borana
. Have You heard Dabare or Jiidu dialects? Af Maay speakers wouldn't understand.

Standard Somali is spoken mainly in the Centre of Somalia, I meant the BBC Somali as you Call it lol, North, east and South Somalis speak Standard Somali with a tinge of local dialects.

Once again, Miyir speaks on things he has no knowledge of. Those that reside in Kenya and Ethiopia - i.e the majority of Garres - speak Afaan Oromo/Borana.

Miyir   

<cite>

Once again, Miyir speaks on things he has no knowledge of. Those that reside in Kenya and Ethiopia - i.e the majority of Garres - speak Afaan Oromo/Borana.

The Gare in Somalia speaks Somali Gare dialect similar to other Somali dialects in the South. understandable as you said those living next Boran or Oromo communities speak Borana/Oromo.

Haatu   

Jimca waraa jiraa, sabtiyaa ka daran baa la yiri. Xabad, ma anaa maanta lahjadda reer NFD i bari?

Anyway, lets just enjoy this nice saar. You should see Garissa on the night election results are released. Intii geel la qalo ayaa habeenkii oo idil saar la tuntaa. Of course the losing clan doesn't take part :D Sometimes, dadka qaarkood intey bururaan (jibboodaan) oo xamaasadda la tagto ayey bilaawad isku jarjaraan!

xabad   

<cite>

Jimca waraa jiraa, sabtiyaa ka daran baa la yiri. Xabad, ma anaa maanta lahjadda reer NFD i bari?

Anyway, lets just enjoy this nice saar. You should see Garissa on the night election results are released. Intii geel la qalo ayaa habeenkii oo idil saar la tuntaa. Of course the losing clan doesn't take part
:D
Sometimes, dadka qaarkood intey bururaan (jibboodaan) oo xamaasadda la tagto ayey bilaawad isku jarjaraan!

Saxiib, you have another agenda :P

Me and you both know lahjadda NFD, so let's leave it at that.

I am with Xabad on this, NFD folk speak dialect that's slightly different than that of reer Waamo. What in the world does "ceel aa la duri" mean lool and "bilcaan aa la ii tuugi" Btw, there is nothing wrong with the dialect it's just not southern or Waamo as Haatu claims!

As for the Garre, the ones I see here in the US speak Orama language or something close to it. Oramada iyo iyaga si caadi ay isku af fahmaan..They either speak the same lingo or their languages have common roots/similarities for them to understand each other with ease.

Anyway, I don't think there is any standard Somali dialect we could all agree on, it's just a preference I guess. For me, if it's girl, get to be Reer Borama!! And reer Mudug with a tinge of western OG dialect, more like the Idaajaa narration.

Dacar= plant, most likely the Aloe Vera plant.. Perhaps the plant tastes bitter hence the reference "Dacar ka kharaar/qaraadh."

Galow- micnaheeda ma aqaan saxda ah, laakiin dadka kor ka imaada aa la dhihi jiray kaas galow waaye!

Haatu   

said:

I am with Xabad on this, NFD folk speak dialect that's slightly different than that of reer Waamo. What in the world does "
ceel aa la duri
" mean lool and "
bilcaan aa la ii tuugi
" Btw, there is nothing wrong with the dialect it's just not southern or Waamo as Haatu claims!

As for the Garre, the ones I see here in the US speak Orama language or something close to it. Oramada iyo iyaga si caadi ay isku af fahmaan..They either speak the same lingo or their languages have common roots/similarities for them to understand each other with ease.

Anyway, I don't think there is any standard Somali dialect we could all agree on, it's just a preference I guess. For me, if it's girl, get to be Reer Borama!! And reer Mudug with a tinge of western OG dialect, more like the Idaajaa narration.

Firstly, there are multiple different dialects in NFD. Each qabiil speaks slightly differently. Secondly, have you guys ever met an Cab.dalla person from Badhaadhe and one from Masalaani? One is from 'Waamo' Somalia and the other from Ijaara NFD. Are you going to tell me they don't sound the same? Thirdly, when I say southern, I don't mean exactly the same as Hiiraan or Xamar. I view Southern as a large umbrella category. Our accent has more in common with the wider Southern accents than Banaadiri, Waqooyi, etc.

The Garre from NFD basically speak Af Booran (Oromo).

When I think of standard Somali, I basically think of Idaajaa as well. He seems to have a very neutral, well refined accent.

Haatu   

Sport games in Somali - Isboorti Af Soomaali

Athletics - Bardooddan

Athlete - Bardooddame

Badminton - Kubbad-baal

Bowling - Luuf/Liif (wuu liifey/wey liiftey)

Canoeing - Tartan-huuri

Decathlon - Tobanley

Discus throw - saxan seeraaris

Fencing - seef-ku-lool

Handball - gacan-daar

High jump - booddo sare

Hip hip hurrah - hirrow

Hockey - xeego

Hurdles - tartan hakasho

Javelin throw - riddo

Long jump - booddo dheer

Obstruction - isku gudub

Offside - dusmo

Pentathlon - Shanley

Pole vault - qori-ku-bood

Polo - kubbad fardood

Racket - ul

Relay race - tartan meerto

Rowing - seebin

Spring board diving - qori-muquur

Sprinting - Fagax/Dhababaco

Steeplechase - tartan qardajeex

Tennis - taanish

Tournament - wareegto

Volleyball - kubbad-gacmeed

Weightlifting - hinjin (wuu hinjiyey/wey hinjisey)

Wrestling - lagdan

Yachting - tartan doonyaad

http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream/2307/4175/3/Diiwaanka%20Ereybixinta%20Af-Soomaaliga_Qaybta%201aad.pdf

galbeedi   

Very interesting book by a great sage.

Marka la leeyahay " Nin Qayrkay ah", In this context it may mean more than the age. mostly it used to suggest : He is my equal , meaning strength , power or education.

Waar waa nin qayrkaa ah ninkan hawshan qabtay.