Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Ereybixin iyo Af Soomaaliga

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

That's strange. Most Somalis I've come across seem to believe the best Somali is spoken up North but that seems to be a lie.

There are still a lot of people who speak authentic Somali in Somaliland especially those in the countryside but there is a worrying trend of loaned foreign words taking over the language as more and more people learn Arabic and English at schools and Universities. Businesses already use English in their sign boards.

Tallaabo   

I think it will be more interesting to get some difficult English words from the dictionaries and then find their equivalent in Somali.

gooni   

Galbeedi

Galow waa shinmbir sadex magac leh fiin,dhabad iyo galow

Galaw waa lafta ku wareegsan rubadda ama dhuuntu meeshay ku dhamaato

allahu aclam

Haatu   

<cite>

Goonnibaar- ama goonnibaad. Khasaarin ama ku ciyaarid. Especially wasting money.

Dihin- aan la qodan . unexplored sida waa dhul dihin. not exploited.

Baylah- neglect . la cidleeyey ama la daryeelin.

Cugtan- ama cuggid (verb). caanaha ii cug. to skim the milk. in this case cugtan could be a game of jeopardy where people challenge with questions.

Galow. I do not know.

Goonnibbaar waxaa loola jeeda wax toogashada lagu barto. The English equivalent would be target practise.

Dihin: as you said.

Baylah: as you said.

Cugtan: as known as cubtan it's what people do when they're playing football or another game. They choose two captains and the two captains choose their players (wey cubtameen).

Galow: also known as halow it's the place where the sakaar (manubrium or upper sternum) and luqunta ay iska galaan. In Anatomy it's called suprasternal notch (google it). When people see someone skinny they usually comment "bal fiiriya galowyadiisa soo taagan).

Haatu   

<cite>

I think it will be more interesting to get some difficult English words from the dictionaries and then find their equivalent in Somali.

That's a good idea.

Try and find the Somali equivalent to the following words:

Orientation

Knell

Meticulous

Nuance

Obsequitous

Tallaabo   

Orientation- has two to three meanings

Knell- is not in the Somali culture

Meticulous- don't know

Nuance- don't know

Obsequitous- could it be dabodhilif?

Haatu   

Standardization of Somali

I remember listening to a lecture a few years ago on the future of the Somali language. The linguist was refuting those who claim Somali is on the verge of extinction and were criticizing the language for lack of standardization. He mentioned at the time that the Somali language is in fact undergoing a process of standardization and that's it's something that occurs naturally and can't be enforced.

Ever since then I've been trying to spot whether the professor's assertion was correct. I've come to the conclusion that he's probably correct. I've noticed more and more northerners using the -r sound instead of the usual northern -dh variant. I've also noticed Somalis from all over (North, South, East and West) using the reer Mudug -haya prefix on their verbs more often (e.g. sameynihaya, doonihaya).

I've also noticed that when people give speeches in formal gatherings their normal accents automatically change to a BBC Somali/news reader type of accent (e.e. kulanti wacan oo wanaagsan dhageystayaal idil ahaantiinba...).

To conclude, in my opinion standardization is happening and it's probably being influenced by the news.

xabad   

<cite>

Standardization of Somali

I remember listening to a lecture a few years ago on the future of the Somali language. The linguist was refuting those who claim Somali is on the verge of extinction and were criticizing the language for lack of standardization. He mentioned at the time that the Somali language is in fact undergoing a process of standardization and that's it's something that occurs naturally and can't be enforced.

Ever since then I've been trying to spot whether the professor's assertion was correct. I've come to the conclusion that he's probably correct. I've noticed more and more northerners using the -r sound instead of the usual northern -dh variant. I've also noticed Somalis from all over (North, South, East and West) using the reer Mudug -haya prefix on their verbs more often (e.g. sameynihaya, doonihaya).

I've also noticed that when people give speeches in formal gatherings their normal accents automatically change to a BBC Somali/news reader type of accent (e.e.
kulanti wacan oo wanaagsan dhageystayaal idil ahaantiinba...
).

To conclude, in my opinion standardization is happening and it's probably being influenced by the news.

^^ Waraa Hutu, kormaa macalin lughad noqotay waa yaabe ! :D

You went AWOL for a year and now your lecturing us on the intricacies of Somali language.

Somali language was in the early stages of splitting into two mutually unintelligible tongues, this was checked by 20th century mass travel and communication.

Somali language started in the North just like all Somali clans originated from there, travelling south the language deformed and changed till you get to NFD: where people speak a very weird accent. for example,

Cambiira - means Kubad/banooni

Siin - means telephone.

Waas akhrisan - (literal Swahili translation of anasoma ), to mean someone in schooling.

xabad   

I’ve noticed more and more northerners using the -r sound instead of the usual northern -dh variant. I’ve also noticed Somalis from all over (North, South, East and West) using the reer Mudug -haya prefix on their verbs more often (e.g. sameynihaya, doonihaya).

I disagree with you here, never seen it. Practically impossible to change midlife anyway while using one speech pattern.

Neither have i seen anyone apart from Mudugawis use the -hayaa suffix not prefix and even they use it sometimes and usage is going down.

Instead i see the standard suffix used eg Samaynayaa, doonayaa.

Kulanti wacan and Assalaamu calaykum are the bane of Somali meetings, just go to the message. That is the modern way

Miyir   

<cite>

^^
Waraa Hutu, kormaa macalin lughad noqotay waa yaabe
!
:D

You went AWOL for a year and now your lecturing us on the intricacies of Somali language.

Somali language was in the early stages of splitting into two mutually unintelligible tongues, this was checked by 20th century mass travel and communication.

Somali language started in the North
just like all Somali clans originated from there, travelling south the language deformed and changed till you get to NFD: where people speak a very weird accent. for example,

Cambiira - means Kubad/banooni

Siin - means telephone.

Waas akhrisan - (literal Swahili translation of
anasoma
), to mean someone in schooling.

Siin = Telephone pole in Somalia, not actual telephone.

surprised to learn NFD Siin= telephone!!

Siin = Tall tree without branches?

Wrong, Somali language started in the South Somalia, some communities in NFD and the south speak northern dialect.

xabad   

<cite>

Siin = Telephone pole in Somalia, not actual telephone.

surprised to learn NFD Siin= telephone!!

Siin = Tall tree without branches?

Wrong,
Somali language started in the South Somalia, some communities in NFD and the south speak northern dialect

Miyir, you don't make any sense.

Haatu   

<cite>

I disagree with you here, never seen it. Practically impossible to change midlife anyway while using one speech pattern.

Neither have i seen anyone apart from Mudugawis use the -
hayaa
suffix not prefix and even they use it sometimes and usage is going down.

Instead i see the standard suffix used eg Samaynayaa, doonayaa.

Kulanti wacan
and
Assalaamu calaykum
are the bane of Somali meetings, just go to the message. That is the modern way

I don't know whether they've changed it or not, but I've seen loads of Northerns use the -r instead of the -dh. Maybe they haven't changed and theres variety in the North us Southerners don't know about?

You're right sameynayaa seems to be the standard but I've also seen a lot of non-reer Mudug people use the -haya suffix.

Miyir   

It means some communities in the south speak a northern dialect that doesn't mean Somali as a language originated in the north Somalia.