Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Ereybixin iyo Af Soomaaliga

Haatu   

There's countless words that were invented by the Somali language board but that never entered mass usage. I'll post in this thread just some of the few I came across (from websites, books and videos). Before posting a word I double check with the official Somali-Somali dictionary (by Cabdalla Mansuur http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream/2307/720/1/QAAMUUSKA%20AF-SOOMAALIGA%5B1%5D.pdf ) to make sure the words are authentic.

If you have any such words, please do share along with their English translations (if you know it). And if you have any new words of your own that you think should be adopted, feel free to share.

Af Soomaaliga waa hodon (rich). There is no reason for us to use foreign loan words when we can easily use indigenous words. But coming up with ereybixin is the easy part. Their adoption is what counts the most and that's down to every day speakers of the language. Qiimee afkaaga hooyo and support the preservation of the language.

Haatu   

Allow me to begin by proposing an ereybixin of my own. For a while now I have been thinking of a Somali word that accurately describes the role of a chef. I thought of cunta-kariye but that sounds like too much of a mouthful. However, by pure chance I came across a word in the Somali dictionary that's almost a perfect match.

I therefore propose:

Diirinle = Chef

According to the dictionary, diirinle is defined as "Shaqaalaha cuntada kariya ee

haddana qeybiya; also known as kaantunle". As you can see, this practically describes what a chef does minus the food distribution part.

On the other hand, this word might also be more appropriate for dinner lady like those at schools and canteens so bear that in mind.

Haatu   

Some ereybixin I found on the net. All of these words I have double checked their authenticity using the dictionary except for those marked with an asterisk as I could not find them in there:

Gujis: Submarine

Taawo*: Arts ('Fanka')

Yahan*: Masters degree

Birlab: Magnet

Kasmo*: Science

Dhexroor: Diameter

Haatu   

Habdhis: a sytem e.g. habdhiska taranka: reproductive system

Habdhiska dareenwadka: nervous system

Habdhiska dheefshiidka: digestive system

Tallaabo   

The authentic Somali is no longer used in Somaliland. Everyone speaks a mixture of Somali and English or Arabic. Basically the clerics and the religious folks use a lot of Quranic Arabic in their spoken language whereas the politicians, students, business people, and the dayuusbaro use English words to spice up or complete their conversation.

Haatu   

Aafo: "Dhibaato weyn oo

abaar, cudur ama colaadi ay keentay oo guud

ahaan u saameysa nafley badan; dhibaato aad

u weyn."

Maati/Maato: "1. Dadka intiisa

tamarta yar sida carruurta, waayeelka, iyo

haweenka. 2. Warqadaha turubka

mid ka mid ah oo wax nin u eg ku sawiranyahay, mar kastana raaci karta;

jookar." As you can see it has two meanings. The first is what you were intending. Civilian is not a correct translation.

Barisamaad/Berisamaad: " Waqti barwaaqo

badan oo aan dhibaato jirin."

Sxb you can find all these definitions in the dictionary (see the link in the first post). It's the best thing that's been published since the Somali script was adopted IMO. Check it out. I doubt you'll come across a Somali word that's not there (although some aren't there but they're very rare words that I've only seen in poems).

Haatu   

<cite>
said:</cite>

The authentic Somali is no longer used in Somaliland. Everyone speaks a mixture of Somali and English or Arabic. Basically the clerics and the religious folks use a lot of Quranic Arabic in their spoken language whereas the politicians, students, business people, and the dayuusbaro use English words to spice up or complete their conversation.

That's strange. Most Somalis I've come across seem to believe the best Somali is spoken up North but that seems to be a lie.

xabad   

Haye Haatu, i will check the Dictionary.

I am tired of Af Qalaad, feels good to revert to one's mother tongue.

xabad   

Do we have a Somali equivalent for the word Laakin.

This basic conjunction can't be foreign, if we have to borrow it from Arabic, then Somali may not be it all it cracked up to be.