Sign in to follow this  
galbeedi

From Hargeisa to Gaalkacayo , to Mogadishu, an eye witness account.

galbeedi   

A Somali businessman, who lives in the oil country , recently went home and came back this week. He is a well grounded businessman who cares much about Somalia in general and wishes permanent stability for all. He is not known to harbour any clannish attitude and usually does not speak in hyperbole manner. As our friend Alpha said the other day, I am a political junkie who tries to follow the ball and tries to collect info for those who may have observed things differently.

A politician, high paid NGO expatriates and local Damjadiid boys who flourish in the chaos theory, would not have a good judgement of what is going on, so I seek to speak to the lone observers who compare and collect real information which usually contrasts the conventional wisdom. By now we all know business is booming in Mogadishu, whether it is looted money transformed as sky scrappers, private security contractors working with NGO's or other developments implements by the good Turks and others. Enough with the adjectives , let us listen this reliable eye witness:

1- Who is in charge of the entry points.

He says when I landed in Hargeisa airport, my passport was checked by a Somali officer, and after few minutes I proceeded to my business in the town. The same goes scenario takes place in Galkacayo. Again a Somali officers checks my document and all is well. He was in Gaalkacyo just after the political war instigated by the Galmudug and Puntland politicians. I asked the mood in Gaalkacayo and he said " almost everyone is armed, people are walking with their guns in the public squares, yet you do not feel afraid". As he explained, it does look like a Republican state were citizens are allowed to carry weapons in public. In other words these guns are great equalizers, where all are armed, yet no one dares to disturb the peace expect when politicians like C/kariin Damjadiid of Galmudug and Gaas tries to make the news.

One of the advantages of, local non affiliated public, having guns is that no Al-shabaab or unknown assailant will try to stage a murder. If an Al-shabab commits a terror act ,he could be quickly apprehended by the locals. Of course the usual " aano Qabiil " and revenge killings of Gaalkacayo happens time to time.

In Mogadishu, he said " when you land at the airport, a Ugandan officer will check your passport. having them stationed in the airport perimeter is one thing , but to check your document while a Somali officer is there only symbolically , while doing nothing , really surprised me". Having travelled from Hargeisa , Gaalkacayo and Mogadishu, for him this, was the first indication of a false Somali government that couldn't do basic things.

Sometimes people develop the "cattle mentality" of accepting submissiveness after many years of failure. For them it is normal thing. It was Proff. Ahmed Samatar who first raised the out right discriminatory and demeaning behaviour of the Kenyan airport officials against flights that originate from Somalia. When Nairobi bound Somali flights leave Mogadishu, they are ordered to land in Wajeer town in the north east, for second security screening before they land in Nairobi. They were screened in Mogadishu by the Ugandans , another in Wajeer and the third one in Nairobi. No southern politician ever raised about that issue. To be fair many demeaning actions involving flights and airports also happened to both Rayaale and Siilaanyo in Ethiopia , although with lesser humiliations.

2- Security and peace in Mogadishu compared to Gaalkacayo not Hargeisa:

In Mogadishu the general public is disarmed. The former warlords have their guns, the businessmen have their armed militia , the "Wadaado" have always their guns and Damujaddid have Ugandans to protect them , including the bedroom of the President Hassan Sheekh. According to this eye witness, who was there just after the Liido Beech massacre, Mogadishu seems to be a front line of war if you are unarmed helpless person. I , Galbeedi , will add that Some noteworthy Somali politicians not all, and formers officers of the army hide in major hotels in the fear of being targeted by Al-shbaab . for the last 12 months , sometimes a dozen armed men had blasted the hotel walls to kill the patriots who were threat to Al-shabaab and those who support them, among them general Dhagabadan who three years earlier cleared Al-shbaab from Mogadishu, Afgooye, Number Konton, and Marka.

Targeting the capable men who are series about security and national salvation is not something new in Mogadishu. In 2000, when the first Transitional government led by President C/qasim Salad came to Mogadishu, their were a huge debate among the factions. When I say factions, I mean the usual " Xadhigjiid" between the HAG and the "D" blacks who faced each other in Mogadishu for the first time since the collapse of the state in 1991. Since the security of the national capital was the paramount issue facing all Somalis, C/qasim was told to clean up the warlords who were declining in strength and in political power. Xaaji muuse Suusdi who was one of the last remaining warlords of Mogadishu was asked his opinion about the new Somali government from Carta. He said " Adeer haday bir noqotana waa ka leexahaynaa, hadayse bac noqoto waa bujiheynaa", Roughly means " if it become an iron sword we will get out of her way, but if it becomes balloon, we will release the air from it". By the way, Suudi Yalaxow " wuu Bujiyey bacdii C/qasim".

In order to make the government an iron and build credible national army, which can sweep the weakened warlordes and their militia, the two faction that I mentioned above, agreed to appoint General Yisuf Tallan of Awdal region as the chief of staff of the army. Since this General is not related with anyone of the warring factions, and having credible integrity, he was the best choice for the task ahead. Many including General Galaal who was C/qasim's right hand man, did not accept that idea. Within weeks, General Tallan was assassinated in a Mogadishu restaurant by two men. C/qasim dithered, spend his time in Mogadishu hotels, collected his cash and went back to his exile in Cairo. The rest is history.

Ah, those years , between 1994-1999, were not that bad compared to today's chaos. One may have controlled Medina, the other Hawlwadaag, but normal people intermingled and traded between Zaylac and Kismaayo flourished . There were no Maxakamdo, Al-shabaab or Amison. I would rather have Qanyare and company , than Aways and Al-shabaab.

Before I am side tracked to another story, let us stay with the events of 2106, sixteen years after c/qasim. As the witness said, if you are not armed , you are a victim. He said " he felt more secure in gun tooting Gaalkacayo than the Mogadishu of Hassan Sheekh.

3- How about the Future of Hassan Sheekh:

As we speak the game of chicken played by Amisom continues. Yet again, with no fire fight they abandoned another strategic town , this time Marka Caddey. Some say , the disgruntled African soldiers were not paid for months , and this is the best way to get the attention from those who bankroll them, while others are saying that this is a message for the new British envoy to renew their mandate for four more years. Well, this union of soldiers or employees of eastern Africa, are staging a well crafted strike to get their contract renewed or else.

When I asked my friend about Culusow and his future , he said " this president is busy plotting his return to office after 2016". By bowing to Kenyans, he already secured the backing of certain segments. We both agreed that if this president comes back, the desired long term presence of Amisom , to democratize and build Somalia until 2025, will be achieved. Two years ago, IGAD member states toured in the diaspora to get a glimpse of the opinion of the diaspora , about their long term democracy building project in Somalia. That idea was immediately shot down by the participants. I remember, people like Faysal Rooble and other saying that " how on earth can a dictatorship dominated IGAD states of Uganda, Djibouti and others , who do not have any history of democracy lead Somalia to democracy building".

As the insecurity in Mogadishu grows, so does the desire to keep foreign troops in Somali. If , after almost four years , Al-shabaab is back where they left, the national army can not even defend towns less than 60 km of the capital, the national capital is a fear stricken place, what is the role of this President. If you can not secure one city, can not protect your self, your own personal safety is in the hands of Ugandan forces which means you failed to adequately train 200 Somali boys to guard you, what is the purpose of claiming President. These are some of the conclusions my friend came up after visiting the capital. Some people out of anger , may even suggest that rather talk of national government " Malha in la dhiso dawlada Gobolka Banadir Ayaa la qaatay, si meehs ay ugua baxdo boobkan iyo beentan aan dhmaanayn".

Dambi ku hadli maayee ma arag dawladaan rabayee, Isma doorin gaalkaan diriyo daarta kii galayee, Dusha midabka soomaalibaad dugulka moodaayee, Misna laguma diirsade qalbigu waadirkii Karal'e Meeshaan dad aan ururshiyo darar ka eegaynay, Iyaba waa darxumo ii hadhayee dacaro miyaan leefay, Ma darraato raadkaan dhigaan dib ugu soo laabtay, Sidii aan dayaysnahay miyaan dawga ka habaabay, Waxba hadalku yuu ila durkinee waxaan kusoo duubay, mar uunbuu daf soo odhan nafsigii diinku soo jiidayee, mar uunbay daruur caafimaad dooxa soo rogiyee, Dirrigaa abaarta ah marbaa doog kasoo bixiyee, Dibjirkiyo marbay reer miyigu daasadaha qubiyee, Mar uunbuu digiigixan raggii daallanaan jirayee, Mar uunbuu dagoobka iska rogi doob la quudhsadayee, Oo dalaan dambeedkiyo dhibtiyo diidi keenada'e , Dibnihii shakaalnaa marbaa dooda loo furiyee, Markaasaa la daydayan xaqii naga dahsoonnaayee,

Finally I did ask him my last question. Who is helping Hassan Sheekh to come back another term and how would they achieve that goal?.

He said, "the biggest obscure group that may as well implement the desires of Culusow , may not only be the gulf countries and their connected charities, but a new more sinister and powerful group".

In the history of the United Nations, it is extremely rare to send two envoys, consecutively from same country to a particularly a country . Both the former UN envoy Nickolas kay and the current one, Michael Keating are both British, who are replaced one another as the Somali envoys from the UN. On the other hand, it could be a coincidence or a continuity of policy from the UN. Having said, that a British based group involved in the oil business are making big waves both in Somali political landscape and business connections with government. last year the United Nations monitoring group mentioned the dealings and corruptions involved the British owned Somali Oil group.

This kind of companies are not the big multinationals of Shell, Total , Mobil, or the other medium amid small size oil exploration companies. These companies, like Somali Oil are particularly set up by individuals who would like to get certain connections and other

monopolies in a country that does not have regulatory agencies. Any way, my friend thinks that in order to keep this British monopoly and prevent any allegation of corruption reaching the international community, this new British envoy will be the man to save guard their interest and help Culusow at the same time . So, if this true expect Culusow to implement his agenda and get elected gain. It could be difficult , but if there is anyone who is well prepared it is him.

for years this Mogadishu crowd was playing the card of Somali nationality, by saying that they are safeguarding the country from people hell bent on colonizing the country, and their stooges in Somalia, yet their actions is what keeping this country impotent. They are playing the foreign card in a disgraceful manner that humiliates all Somalis.

xabad   

^ The arch-Secessionist is back, minus the turgid pseudo Etonian prose.

I agree the Brits are more interested in security matters more so than profits.

somalee   

<cite>
said:</cite>

A Somali businessman, who lives in the oil country , recently went home and came back this week. He is a well grounded businessman who cares much about Somalia in general and wishes permanent stability for all. He is not known to harbour any clannish attitude and usually does not speak in hyperbole manner. As our friend Alpha said the other day, I am a political junkie who tries to follow the ball and tries to collect info for those who may have observed things differently.

A politician, high paid NGO expatriates and local Damjadiid boys who flourish in the chaos theory, would not have a good judgement of what is going on, so I seek to speak to the lone observers who compare and collect real information which usually contrasts the conventional wisdom. By now we all know business is booming in Mogadishu, whether it is looted money transformed as sky scrappers, private security contractors working with NGO's or other developments implements by the good Turks and others. Enough with the adjectives , let us listen this reliable eye witness:

1- Who is in charge of the entry points.

He says when I landed in Hargeisa airport, my passport was checked by a Somali officer, and after few minutes I proceeded to my business in the town. The same goes scenario takes place in Galkacayo. Again a Somali officers checks my document and all is well. He was in Gaalkacyo just after the political war instigated by the Galmudug and Puntland politicians. I asked the mood in Gaalkacayo and he said " almost everyone is armed, people are walking with their guns in the public squares, yet you do not feel afraid". As he explained, it does look like a Republican state were citizens are allowed to carry weapons in public. In other words these guns are great equalizers, where all are armed, yet no one dares to disturb the peace expect when politicians like C/kariin Damjadiid of Galmudug and Gaas tries to make the news.

One of the advantages of, local non affiliated public, having guns is that no Al-shabaab or unknown assailant will try to stage a murder. If an Al-shabab commits a terror act ,he could be quickly apprehended by the locals. Of course the usual " aano Qabiil " and revenge killings of Gaalkacayo happens time to time.

In Mogadishu, he said " when you land at the airport, a Ugandan officer will check your passport. having them stationed in the airport perimeter is one thing , but to check your document while a Somali officer is there only symbolically , while doing nothing , really surprised me". Having travelled from Hargeisa , Gaalkacayo and Mogadishu, for him this, was the first indication of a false Somali government that couldn't do basic things.

I didn't read passed this. I understand people type all sorts of bullshit bias talking about qabiil and developments in their region et cetera but this? This blatant lie?!

I have used Aden Adde airport exactly 10 times in the last 8 months alone. Yes 10 times! I have used both the old terminal and the newly built one and no SINGLE TIME was a Ugandan checking my passport when I arrive at the airport. In fact I remember the first time I arrived it was a lady who took my fingerprinting and eye scan and I remember feeling so good just being able to talk Somali inside an airport to a Somali hijabi lady and the only thing foreign about that encounter was the 50 USD fee I paid.

It's different when you are leaving Mogadishu. Ugandan soldiers are stationed outside the airport at the perimeter and they check the passport and ticket, not far from them are Somali soldiers who also do the same. In fact you can't bypass the Somalis, they check you first. It's different when you are used to them and they don't bother, you just say salaam and go passed them but the Ugandans are very professional and irrespective of how many times they have seen you, they will still have to check everything again. Once you reach the actual terminal entrance and inside the airport, it's all Somalis sxb. I know most of the immigration guys personally. There are many Ugandan soldiers inside the airport compound. I have also seen Djibouti soldiers but there's no interaction at all. They check you outside of the airport when you are leaving and that's it!

galbeedi   

Here you say " but the Ugandans are very professional and irrespective of how many times they have seen you, they will still have to check everything again. .

he may have meant about leaving the airport. Tee main issue here is his document was checked by Ugandan soldiers. I may have mixed up arrival and departures. Again you concur what he was saying.

galbeedi   

Again no one is bashing anyone. Everyone knows the President is protected by Ugandan soldiers.

Oodweyne welcome back. You are probably correct about British and their long term about the attitude of the young Somalis joining Al-shabaab. The Problem is the Brits talk too much with little tangible results on the ground. Why don't they train the Somali soldiers or at least invest some money?. on the politicians you are absolutely correct, they do not care about Soomaalinimo.

In Mogadishu, he said ” when you land at the airport, a Ugandan officer will check your passport. having them stationed in the airport perimeter is one thing , but to check your document while a Somali officer is there only symbolically , while doing nothing , really surprised me”

Tan aan kaa saxo, Galbeedi. Ugaandha iyo ciidamadeeda shuqul ay ku leeyihiin ayaa iska yar dadka ka dego garoonka Xamar. Taas hay'adda iyo shaqaalaha Socdaalka Soomaaliya ayee u taalaa. Waana dad hawlahooda ku filan, waana wada Soomaali.

Markaa ka baxeysid sidoo kale shaqaalaha Soomaalida ee hay'adda Socdaalka ayaa fiiriyo baasaboorada.

Ciidamada shisheeyaha garoonka ka shaqeeyo waa booliis ka soo jeedo dalka Siiraliyoon (Sierra Leone). Dharka ciidan ee wataana midabkiisa wuu ka duwanyahay kan ciidan ee Ugaandheeska iyo Burundi xirtaan.

Ciidamadaas booliiska waxee ku caawiyaan baaritaanka boorsooyinka markaa ka dhoofeysid garoonka, Soomaali ayaana la shaqeeyo. Baasaboor lagu dhufanaayo dalkugal iyo yaaka dhoofi karo iyo yaa soo degi karo howl u taalo ma'aha.

Waxaa i soo xasuusisay markaa 2013 Xamar tagaaye oo aan safka ku jiray dalkugalka sugaaye (maadaama aan baasaboor shisheeye watay), waxaa iga horeeye mid Kiinyaati ah oo dalkugal shaqaalonimo watay. Gabar da'yar oo Soomaali ah ayaa baasaboorada fiirineysay. Su'aalo ayee ku wareerisay Kiinyaatigii, asagiina cabsi iyo indha taag taag ka soo hartay. Hoosaa kaga qanacsanaa in saas loo dhibo shisheeyaha qaarkood, oo la hubsado waxee yihiin. Dalal badan ayaa Soomaalida lagu dhibaa ee markeena waaye aargudashada niyadda iska iri.

somalee   

Galbeedi, you and the others, especially those who refer to their fellow Somali brothers as "Hutus" need to visit Mogadishu. It will change your perspective on a host of issues once you set foot in that city. The Somali people at the airport and the city of Mogadishu are the friendliest Somalis I have ever met. I'm saying this as a person who is not from Southern Somalia.

Some people are stuck in the 90s. SMH!

Johnny B   

That Galbeedi's so called eye witness account (as if we luck eye witnesses) reeks of hypocrisy is quite obvious, but is it me or there is as of late a clear Pattern of the Stockholm syndrome in Borama?

cadnaan1   

gaalkacayo shacabki oo dhan way wada hubaysanyihiin laakiin waa amaan

muqdishu shacabka hub ma hubaysno laakiin way ka amaan xuntahay galkacayo , labadaasi wax israacaayo ma ahan

aniga muqdishu 2014 iyo 2015 waan tagay amisom waxay qaabilsantahay oo kaliya amaanka outside of the airportka qofka raba ino soo galo airportka waa inuu tusiyaa passport iyo valid ticket.laakiin gudaha airortka shaqaalaha waa wada somali.

galbeedi sxb my advice to u is instead of hearing things from others why not go there and see it urself xaalak siduu yahay wadanka.

somalee   

<cite>

90's was serious bitch slapping time for the likes of Tilamook.

Referring to the massacre of innocent Somalis (mostly women and children), looting of Somali property earned and built by hardworking Somalis from all regions of Somalia and the raping of Somali mothers and daughters as "bitchslapping" is extremely unfortunate.

<cite>

Again no one is bashing anyone. Everyone knows the President is protected by Ugandan soldiers.

Oodweyne welcome back. You are probably correct about British and their long term about the attitude of the young Somalis joining Al-shabaab. The Problem is the Brits talk too much with little tangible results on the ground. Why don't they train the Somali soldiers or at least invest some money?. on the politicians you are absolutely correct, they do not care about Soomaalinimo.

cheap propaganda

Galbeedi sounding like Cillsuldane kkkk

Galbeedi people were never the enemy of Mogadishu infact throught out last two decades they lived and did business in Mogadishu and greater south. Enjoy more political power and say then in Hargaisa .

Galbeedi

this hate is doctrine from beesh dhex (snm) , Legacy of two decade of occupation and forced submissive in Awda Somalia by SNM Folks …

ceeb iyo wax laga xishoodo bay ku ahayd rer awdal Cay iyo Aflaagado in lo beegsado Muqdisho magaalo madaxda Somalia ..

xabad   

<cite>

Reading this, I get the impression, that there must be some hell-hole village in somewhere in the Somali peninsula, which is looking for her lost village's idiot.

Hence, perhaps, the SOL's admin could do all of us a favor by putting together a public service broadcasting slot right here in SOL, whereby all lost imbecilic soul, like you, could be announced from it, particularly in the hope that they will find themselves there.

Or at any rate, they will find from there, that their village is looking for them in earnest, indeed. Hence, bare with us till then, dear ninny. For, I am sure of it, that, the admin will eventually gets round in helping you to finally find the village with the teeming idiots in which you have waylaid yourself from it.

You have no sense of humor, you've misconstrued my welcome for an insult.

xabad   

<cite>

Referring to the massacre of innocent Somalis (mostly women and children), looting of Somali property earned and built by hardworking Somalis from all regions of Somalia and the raping of Somali mothers and daughters as "bitchslapping" is extremely unfortunate.

Armaaba round 2 loo bahanyahay sxb, seeing how the usual culprits have returned the kibir and edeb daro that was snuffed out. A corrective bitch-slap is needed once in a while for wayward saqajaan to set them straight.

somalee   

<cite>

Armaaba round 2 loo bahanyahay sxb, seeing how the usual culprits have returned the kibir and edeb daro that was snuffed out. A corrective bitch-slap is needed once in a while for wayward saqajaan to set them straight.

You are a very sick man.