Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Somalia cuts ties with Iran in latest Saudi-led diplomatic war

Saalax   

Good on them. The last thing the south needs is spread of Shia which will result in

sectarian war in the future on top of the existing terror and clan clashes problem.

One less problem prevented.

Somalia cuts ties with Iran in latest Saudi-led diplomatic war

"In a statement issued by Somalia’s foreign ministry, Somali government said

it has severed its diplomatic relations with Iran after a ‘careful’ consideration

and in response to the Republic of Iran’s continuous ‘interference’ in Somalia’s

internal affairs."

http://www.hiiraan.com/news4/2016/Jan/103468/somalia_cuts_ties_with_iran_in_latest_saudi_led_diplomatic_war.aspx

xabad   

Meanwhile Saudi Arabia deports Somalis everyday and deforests our country by buying illegal charcoal.

But that wont get in the way of our reflexive Arab booty clapping.

galbeedi   

That is a hasty decision. That is not the best way to back your friend. These countries could have put Iran in notice long time ago. " stop the barrel bombing of the Syrian civilians by Assad, arrange a cease fire and work with us to put a transitional government there", or else ?. If they refuse and keep arming these illegal militia both in Iraq, Lebanon and Yemen, then you take tough measure including sanctions and finally severing the relationship.

even Countries that have economic and political union ,like the European Union, could not unilaterally break diplomatic relation from another countries. First , you apply sanction and other measures to change their behaviour. Why not ask the hapless Arab League, to put some punitive measures against Iran.

If the Saudis want to jump from a cliff, are we supposed to follow?. Somalia was always an independent country that had relations with everyone in the world regardless of how anyone else felt. Somalia was one of the first countries to open diplomatic relations with China in 1960, when the United States and others recognized Taiwan as the Republic of China..

Great powers, like United States may request their friends to back them up when applying sanctions and build coalitions during conflicts, but they will never ask someone to break diplomatic relations on their behalf.

What a disgrace.

Waad baahan tahay bakhtiga looma cuno.

Saalax   

I don't think it is booty clapping when Iran is seeking actively to convert your

population with their agents. Iranian ships have also robbed Somali seas

stealing huge amount of fish. Better the devil you know than the one

you don't (Iran).

Somalia arrests two Iranians over Shiite indoctrination in Mogadishu

MOGADISHU (HOL) – Somalia’s security forces arrested two Iranians it accused of

converting locals to Shiitism doctrine, a development which underlines the tricky

relationship between the Sunni horn of Africa nation and the overwhelmingly Shia

country of Iran. According to authorities, the two were arrested during a religious

ceremony joined by dozens of locals at a hotel in Mogadishu last week.

http://www.hiiraan.com/news4/2015/Dec/103300/somalia_arrests_two_iranians_over_shiite_indoctrination_in_mogadishu.aspx

It's another political stunt by the incompetent damul-jadiid just to milk the Saudis. This should be no surprise at all. They joined the Saudis coalition against the Zaidis in Yemen, then again they joined the one against IS as if Somalis could contribute a jack to these worthless coalitions.

So this government has no problem with the 1000s of (western) NGOs in the country some of them christian aid reliefs (missionaries), but one Shi'a relief organization is NO NO.. Yeah the Somalis will be converted to Shitism by the millions and Iran will over the entire Sunni world, I must forget that Saudi memo! How pathetic.

^

Lol@ "Somalis will be converted to Shitism"... ?

I know it is a typo, however the last thing we Somalis want to become are "shitists".

But on a serious note; everyone knows Damjadiid are desperate for cash for the upcoming elections in Somalia and the House of Saud gots plenty of the greenback.

Saalax   

There is already Shia Somalis in the diaspora. Somali minds are easily brainwashed,

in my opinion it is important to protect the vulnerable minds of the people of

south Somalia, convincing them to become Shia is as easy as convincing them to

become suicide bombers, it is not far fetched.Granted there is obviously

financial interest in it for the Mogadishu admin but it is also the right

decision stopping the spread of Shiasm in Somalia.

Saalax   

By the way this is not only a Mogadishu problem. I have been reading the news

recently that police in Hargeisa also arrested Shia missionaries. No new

religion or sect should be imported to Somali areas it will cause unnecessary

problems in the future otherwise.

Lol@ Tillamook! Good catch. I know Damjadiid are short in cash and will do anything to some from Arab Sheikh, and all of these Iran saga is nothing but a smoke screen.

Saalax, vulnerable young minds need to be protected (and cured) from clan disease that got us where we are today. Shiatism is the last thing we should worry about, methinks.

^

Lol..?

Walaale, Gheelle, even though I just brought that typo to your attention just for the laughs of it; please allow me to use my unnecessarily pedantic pen voice... the correct way to write it is...Shiism, with no 't'.?

<cite>
said:</cite>

By the way this is not only a Mogadishu problem. I have been reading the news

recently that police in Hargeisa also arrested Shia missionaries. No new

religion or sect should be imported to Somali areas it will cause unnecessary

problems in the future otherwise.

Saalax, I thought you would be more astute than to buy such cheap shananigans of the Silanyo administration in Hargaysa. Are you not aware of the close alliance between President Culusow and the Silanyo administration. Have you forgotten the pivotal role Silanyo played in Culusow's election back in 2012? Don't you know that Silanyo's vote-- whether it be gotten through the unfair 4.5 system or the more legitimate district delegation method of election-- is a sure a thing that Damjadiid is counting on, later this year.

So with that in mind; the recent anti-Iran policy recently announced in Mogadishu by Damjadiid is the same policy that Silanyo is implementing in his part of the country. And besides their close political partnership; Silanyo, like Culusow and Damajadiid, also wants financial support from the Arabs-- since his coffers have been low and need replenishing, ever since the Europeans and Americans have limited their support.

Just as they where about to rejoin the community of nations, sad to see the Iranian again undermine its own interests and betray their people by engaging in yet more useless proxy wars that only destabilize the Region. Am not sure if it's true but there were reports that in Friday sermon, the ayatollah said he would behead the entire Royal family. How do you come back from that? As detestable as the Saudis are, the reality is that the overwhelming Muslim world is Sunni and all but two countries are Sunni lead minus the basket case that is Syria. Forced to choose, they will side with the Sauds rather then the ayatollah.

^

I agree.

Somalia has no choice but to side with the Arabs for many national interest reasons; the most important which is that our vital livestock trade depends on it. However, our current president and his cronies are only doing so for very myopic selfish personal reasons and do not give a damn about our greater national interests.