Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Exhibitionist Ronaldinho omitted from Brazil World Cup Squad

Oz   

One of 2 things will happen.

1. It will be an open tournament & England will finally fullfill their potential & lay waste to every team they play. They will beat Holland or Germany in the final with the white South Africans shouting for Holland/Germany & the blacks shouting for England. :D

2.It will be ultra defensive, with few goals, loads of bookings & sending offs due to Platini banning any sort of tackle. All the knock out games will be settled on penalties after 0-0 draws and the final between Greece & Uruguay will be decided 10-11 on penalties after a 0-0 draw & no one will care who won. :D

Abtigiis   

Brazil stay focused - Argentina look muddled

Tim Vickery, BBC's South American Football Analyst

Dunga's announcement of his Brazil squad for South Africa was a crushing defeat for the nation's media in one of its favourite sports - trying to force the inclusion of big names players on to the plane for this summer's World Cup.

But it was the perceived excesses of Brazil's stars that undermined their campaign in Germany in 2006 and paved the way for Dunga's appointment. He took over with a message that individuals might win matches but groups win titles. Over three and half years later, coherence has been maintained.

Before the squad was announced, clips were shown of some of Brazil's recent triumphs. Then came a declaration for Kaka, paying tribute to the spirit of union of the current team. It was a giant hint that there would be no last-minute surprises.

So no place for Ronaldinho. On form and in shape, he would surely be a useful one-man Plan B to have on the bench but he can hardly complain of lack of opportunities. Dunga carried him around for almost three years before finally losing patience.

It is a tough thing to say but the only person responsible for Ronaldinho's absence is Ronaldinho himself. At 30, he should be an automatic choice but he has spent the last few years betraying his own extraordinary talent.

Ronaldinho may have been the focus of international attention but the local media had switched generations in its campaign, piling on the pressure in favour of the Santos pair of support striker Neymar, 18, and attacking midfielder Paulo Henrique Ganso, 20.

For all the undoubted promise of Neymar and Ganso, there are elements of nationalistic delirium in this movement. The pair were outstanding in the Sao Paulo State Championship but this is a bit like selecting someone for a World Cup on the basis of some good games in the Carling Cup.

Significantly, and Dunga was quick to pick up on it, the pair struggled towards the end of last year when asked to step up a level. Ganso was a relative disappointment in the World Under-20 Cup while Neymar was an absolute disappointment in the World Under-17s.

Their time will come but, as he made clear, Dunga is not in the business of giving anyone experience for 2014 but is being paid to win the World Cup now. And, of course, one more new face would mean one less space for a group of players who have earned the right to be in South Africa.

Whatever we might think of his approach, Dunga can point to the results achieved. In the last two seasons, Brazil have won 18 of 23 games, suffering only one defeat, which came at extreme altitude.

Adriano has been part of that process but he, too, misses out. He is another one, though, who can have no complaints. He received support and opportunities from Dunga and assistant Jorginho.

After his problems with depression and alcohol, Adriano was allowed to play his way back into contention. A squad place was his. He has thrown it away by repeatedly not turning up to train with his club, Flamengo, as well as his off-the-field antics. As Dunga said, if he let Adriano get away it he would be running the risk of losing command of the group.

This focus on the collective underpins everything that Dunga does. It explains the eminently sensible position to name his 23 straight away (seven reserves, including Ronaldinho and Ganso, were added later). Other teams still have to whittle down from 30 - a traumatic process that jangles nerves and threatens to undermine morale at a crucial stage.

One of them is Argentina. It is hardly surprising that coach Diego Maradona is not as far down the line as Dunga in terms of consolidating his group. He has had much less time in charge - and it is often forgotten that he took over a team in trouble, which with one win in the previous seven games was already struggling to qualify.

Maradona got them over the line and would seem to have made progress since. It is highly likely that his planned starting line-up in South Africa will be the team that won away to Germany some two months ago. From the chaos of the qualification campaign, a first XI and a general method of play has emerged.

But the rest of his party looks a bit of a mess. It speaks volumes that Brazil named their 23 in a well prepared and orderly fashion while Argentina apparently needed a lengthy last-day meeting to finalise the 30.

Under Maradona, Argentina have toured the country playing a number of matches with only home-based players. This has the advantage of taking the team to the provinces and of giving Maradona more experience on the touchline but it also might have cluttered his head with excess information. He has been looking at more players when he might well have benefited from narrowing down.

Ten of his 30 are based in Argentina. Boca's lumbering centre forward Martin Palermo looks set to stay in the 23. But can he really make an impact at the World Cup? And is he needed as well as Higuain and Milito? It means someone has to miss out - probably Lavezzi of Napoli, such a slippery player on the counter-attack.

At the other end of the field, Garce of Colon is in while Zanetti of Inter Milan is out - a baffling defiance of common sense. There are lots of wide midfielders but the area that looks especially deficient is central midfield. Fernando Gago's lack of playing time with Real Madrid has cost him a place while Maradona is not a fan of Esteban Cambiasso, who, in fairness, was one of the least effective members in the side before he took over.

To my mind, the strangest omission is that of Ever Banega, a midfielder of superb passing range who can drop back and mark. He would be an ideal deputy for Juan Sebastian Veron, who at 35 might struggle for gas.

Brazil's choices, then, are methodical, well thought out, coherent. Some of Argentina's look scattergun, products of whims of inspiration. And the wonderful thing is that neither guarantee results - football has never been an exact science.

Wabilaahi Tawfiik, May this talk some sense into the heads of Norf, Bob and Tuujiye. :D:D

N.O.R.F   

You take the bbc pundits seriously? They were all predicting Liverpool would win the league just like Ngonge was :D

Don't believe the hype saxib. Favourites NEVER win the world cup.

BOB   

Exhibitionist?

^^^A&T are you sure you're a Brazilian football fan? If you want us to take you seriously I'd suggest you change the title because ALL the great Brazilian players were Exhibitionists from Pele and Garrincha to Ronaldinho and Ronaldo, your knowledge of the game is becoming more suspect by the day and its clear that Brazil waxba kama taqaanid.

Ronaldinho had far more better season than Kaka & Robinho put together in the weakest Milan side for years and yet you want us to believe that they're there for merit...no my friend...they're Dunga's favourites just like every manager has his favourites because I will never accept in a million years that Robinho can do what great Ronaldinho can't...never saaxiib.

As a genuine football fan it's utterly DISREPECTFUL of you to dismiss Ronaldinho nothing more than a exhibitionist and yet you call yourself a Brazilian 'fan'...you're as joke as the Donkey aka Dunga himself.

You claim Ronaldinho wee ka dhamaatay I challenge you to explain how you came to that conclusion...look up his stats and read the Rossoneri fans forums and see what they think of his overall performances and then compare it to the likes of Robinho, Baptista, Elano, Kleberson and Josue...your blind faith in Dunga is no less than embarrassing.

PS. I wont comment on this topic anymore as I don't see any point why I should.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Tuujiye   

^^ BOB, Ronaldinho waxa lugu jaray waa personal saaxiib.. anyone who watches Ac Milan games could tell you that...

Maradona is on crack!!! walaahi ma fiyooba ninkaan...you can't win a world cup with good defenders! whats wrong with this guy? he is worser than Dunga!... how do you cut Zenneti? I don't understand!

I can't believe Benzema is not playing too lool

I hate european teams specialy spain and England and I never liked East european teams like Serbia and Slovakia... I don't like Dunga's Brazil anymore and I cant even look at USA game... I wanted Argentina this year but I guess I would have to stick with my African teams...

I'm 100% behind Ghana and my boy essien!! lool...

A&T waa ku kaas hee lool...

I'm glad the big teams are weak this world cup...we will have a new champion for sure...

Go! Go! Go! Africa!!!!

Wareer Badanaa!!!!

Abtigiis   

Ghana is the best hope for Africa, but they will not win the world cup.

Otherwise, I agree Domenich seems to have something against France itself. War haduu doono Ribery reserve ayuu ka dhigi doonaa, waa oday wareersan.

I think Holland picked a very good side. On paper, they are the team to beat. But Brazil can do it. All the way SAMBA!

Oz   

Holland will score goals and lots of them as their midfield and attackers are top draw, however in my opinion the defence will catch up with them and cost them.

The biggest weakness for Holland is the centre backs, all of them are slow, especially Matisjen and Ooijer. Plus Matijsen has been the centre back of a Hamburg side which have shipped in goals galore this season in the Bundesliga.

They have alot of creativity and technique, I bet they produce some good football...The thought of Robben on one wing, and Elia on another is mouthwatering.

NGONGE   

^^ The biggest weaknes of any Holland team is the mentality. They always fall out and have problems in their camp. Also, whenever they're in a tough game, they always lose their nerve. No chance Holland will win the world cup.

The African teams are crap. This world cup is for Spain to lose really. Nobody else seems to present a real challange.

Oz   

Iker Casillas Fernández (Real Madrid CF)

David De Gea Quintana (Club Atlético de Madrid, SAD)

Diego López Rodríguez (Villareal CF SAD)

José Manuel Reina Páez (Liverpool)

Víctor Valdés Arribas (FC Barcelona)

Defenders

Raúl Albiol Tortajada (Real Madrid CF)

Alvaro Arbeloa Coca (Real Madrid CF)

César Azpilicueta Tanco (Club Atlético Osasuna)

Joan Capdevila Méndez (Villarreal CF, SAD)

Carlos Marchena López (Valencia CF, SAD)

Gerard Pique Bernabéu (FC Barcelona)

Carles Puyol Saforcada (FC Barcelona)

Sergio Ramos García (Real Madrid)

Midfielders

Xabier Alonso Olano (Real Madrid CF)

Sergio Busquets Burgos (FC Barcelona)

Francesc “Cesc” Fabregas Soler (Arsenal FC)

Andrés Iniesta Lujan (FC Barcelona)

Javier Martínez Aguinaga (Athletic Club)

Marcos Antonio Senna Da Silva (Villarreal CF, SAD)

David Jiménez Silva (Valencia CF, SAD)

Xavier Hernández Creus (FC Barcelona)

Forwards

Santiago Cazorla González (Villarreal CF, SAD)

Jesús Navas González (Sevilla FC SAD)

Juan Manuel Mata García (Valencia CF, SAD)

Pedro Rodríguez Ledesma (FC Barcelona)

Daniel González Güiza (Fenerbache SK)

Fernando Llorente Torres (Athletic Club)

Alvaro Negredo Sánchez (Sevilla FC SAD)

Fernando Torres Sanz (Liverpool FC)

David Villa Sánchez (Valencia CF, SAD)

I don't know who has been dropped but this is what I picked:

Providing the usual suspects are fit, a 23 man squad from those lot will be the strongest in the tournament. Spain are the team to beat. Looks a little thin defensively? Although, I'm pretty sure the plan is to outscore the opponents anyway..

Regardless, Awesome squad from Spain, Del Bosque must've had a headache regarding who to drop, but its a pretty good one to have, packed full of quality players.

Abtigiis   

In name yes the strongest. But he fields Pique, Marchena, Ramos and Capdevedia (as I expect) in defence, they will not be the strongest at the back. The medifield is the best in the world right now, but if teams employ Inter tactics, they are done. Afterall, it is Barcelona's midfield.

The attack is fearsome only in name. Both Villa and Torress are past their best, as the world cup will prove.

BOB   

I wonder what Al Shabab would make of this photo! :D

Peace, Love & Unity.

NGONGE   

^^ Exactly what you think they are implying. :D

A reporter went and asked Ibra about it and Ibra's words were "why don't you bring your sister to my house later to see if I'm gay or not". :D

Ibra waa bila adab.