Sign in to follow this  
Mooge

The new Puntland Presidential House in Galkacyo

nuune   

ElPunto, that is exactly what I am saying, glad you raised them too, drivers, soldiers, army, and any other shaqaala dowlad are not being paid for many months, when I left there recently, they were not being paid, the stories I have seen personally are very series, there was this particular soldier who left his post because of lack of salary, he could not pay the house rent, and pay the basic bills of his family, so he was kicked out of the house with 4 children and wife and the shops could no longer give him credit, and now he lives with his parents, isn't that shame, the same parents that he trying top help out, this is only one of many stories.

And on top of that, wasiirada and the top guys are busy building houses and buying new cars as well as going holidays while their drivers and staff can't get the 100-200 dollar a month they are entitled.

If we shy away from mentioning these kind of things, how can we make any progress.

Finally, Gaas waxba kama oga Puntland meel ay u socoto iyo meel ay ka socoto, the man is clueless, mind you he was my top guy and was supporting him during the campaign.

I really don't know what he achieved since he took office, one of his main campaign agendas was that every soldier will get his salary on time and every month (I will have to dig the video the video when I find will post here).

The final few days I was there, just telling you how some ministers don't do their job but busy with what some local radio says about Puntland, this particular radio called Sahan Radio in Graowe wrote an article about how Puntland could not afford a parade to celebrate when Puntland was founded, the minister, and he is the wasiirka warfaafinta tried to lock up the guys at Sahan Radio and close their services, what Radio Sahan wrote became true and there was nothing much being celebrated, so the story is long, it just shows how ministers got their priorities WRONG, markii dambe maxkamad ayaa soo dhax gashey and the Radio Sahan guys won the case since their argument became reality.

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

See, haddana haadaan kale ayaad isku qaaday. War ilayn annagaa bela aragnay.

The point was to demonstrate how easy it is to point fingers and make claims, but when push comes to shove and you are asked to produce proof and evidence, you throttle yourself as if committed to geriatric respite. From my experience, I have listened to stories of and about corruption in all cities I visited. I have tried to compile concrete, tangible evidence to that regard in both regions, but other than immaterial incidents, I could not find material evidence of corruption. I observed disorder, lack of technically proficient workforce, poor hygiene, and many other things uncommon in developed nations. And for disclosure, I am not an auditor and my time in my target places was limited. Is that to say there is no corruption. Definitely not. Does it mean it epidemic. I do not know.

Again, if you have got substantive data to share, let us hear it. If not, and until you have taken the trouble to do so, then exercise humility, wisdom and refrain from making allegations.

I don't know what institutions, people, or places you have investigated but corruption in Somaliland is everywhere and ingrained in the culture. If you ask the people who have dealt with the courts, police, or the government departments they will tell you how epidemic corruption in the region is.

YoniZ   

<cite>
said:</cite>

All I have seen in Somalia from Borama to Galkacyo was potential, progress, and hard-working people striving. Yes, there is poverty, lack of proficiency, lack of industry, technical, skilled workforce, but a society trying to move ahead.

But despite all of that, the average person has 'qanaacah' and better outlook than those in the Diaspora.

I second that, what I have seen this year from Hargeisa to Galkacayo then to Bosaso is full of hope and gradual recovery. Those in the diaspora complain and condemn a lot, for the sake of it and, they are damn good at that.

There tactics are, visit the country for few weeks, meet the newly elected/selected guy, ask for position or any other favors. If they don't get what they want, they will hold him responsible for not solving the accumulated ills of the past two decades, as if he has some kind of magic stick.

None of them is willing to take the helm, or even spend one continuous year in the country helping local communities.

ElPunto   

^You take issue with diaspora complaining and condemning and then you turn right around and condemn the diaspora? That is not a solid argument.

One thing I will say about the people of SL/PL is that they really put up with a lot. Governments that tax them, provide zero accountability, full of corruption and use clan cards whenever it suits them. These are legitimate criticisms and must be raised by any thinking Somali. That there is opportunity, desire and potential for progress is undeniable. And I as a proud member of the diaspora do like to emphasize the good stories when I come back from Somalia. But there is a serious governance problem in these parts that needs to be properly resolved in order for confidence, trust and ultimately investment to drive progress. And this won't happen if we shy away from talking about the real issues.

YoniZ   

Tell me what good critisising every leader did in the past decades? Nothing at all.

Are you ready to participate those admins, and commit your time, while putting your reputation on the line? I dont think so.

Dont forget, I am one of those diaspora who are not ready to do the above, so I am not in a position to indulge the so called Habar fadhida lagdin la fududaa critisisms.

ElPunto   

^What kind of strange reasoning is that - it didn't work in the past so we should shut up? We won't get to accountability if we don't point out shortcomings and deficiencies. Or do you believe that the best we Somalis can do in terms of leadership is Culusow, Gaas, Siilanyo et al. If the criticisms are valid then acknowledge them as so. This is what happens everyday in well functioning countries. Are you going to tell the New York Times to stop criticizing Obama or the Daily Telegraph to shut up about David Cameron? Or claim that it does no good? I think not.

I would advise anyone who wishes to contribute to Somalia to avoid having anything to with the administrations. It is better to establish businesses to employ people and fill a market need. I wouldn't hire the majority of folks in these administrations to polish my floors.

Samafal   

Gaas has his own short comings one of it being the economy and hence affecting the budgeted revenues and in turn paying the civil service and soldiers on time. But let's put things in perspective. The economy was deteriorating already in the last year of Farole's tenure due to lack of Somali Shilling notes hence dollar rocketing to the roof affecting low income people to survive on less. This was further excercipated when big cash cow individuals and businesses moved money from Puntland to Mogadishu to invest in high rocketing property market. Also lack of good infrastructure such as airports and seaports made it hard for Puntland to compete with the likes of Bernera port, Hair ga is airport and Mogadishu air as sea ports. That's why he's always banging about infrastructure and these should improve when big infrastructure projects materialise.

All in all I think he has done well given the circumstances he was working under. Also security has improved tremendously in the last last two years. He weaken Alshabab's hold in Puntland and chased them out from Galgala town. There are a lot of changes taking place but he might not be the one sees their fruition in the time left for him.