Sign in to follow this  
Mooge

The new Puntland Presidential House in Galkacyo

Mooge   

abdiweli also destroyed all illegal homes built in government land. niyoow there is lot of things going on in Puntland.

ElPunto   

Why waste the money on a palace, a blatant ego project, unless he is moving the capital from Garowe? He would have been better to build a school or some other public building.

I'm amazed at the lack of critical reaction to this annoucement. There is no real media in Somalia.

^

I still don't understand whether this scheme is meant to generate a return for the people who invest in it, or it is just another glorified form of Qaaraan?

nuune   

This galkacyo one will go the same route as the Garowe one, they splashed multiple designs of Garowe palace before.

The presidential palace in Garowe cannot be described as a palace, but rather a warehouse used for storage, I know they only built it recently, but it is in a terrible state, only one who have seen would say that, ask the locals, they will tell you that their houses are much better than the presidential palace.

On top of that, it is on the edge of the city, for security reasons, they wouldn't have built it there, as one local one time said to me while I was there "It is easy for Somaliland to take over the palace because it is the first point of entry into Garowe".

The UN compound is a lot better, so Gaas can take over that.

Ps: Gaas is not liked in Puntland, they argue, that the economy suffered since he took office, they call him many names "Af Macaaneeye", "Jiljileece" "butleen"(the way he pronounces Puntland) and many others.

^

Nuune,

Gaas being liked or not can only be determined with the next election. I personally am no fan of the man, but I choose to give him the benefit of doubt until the end of his term, where like every other Puntlander I will have an opportunity to judge him based on all the promises he has made and the accomplishments he will have to show.

By the by, the economy of the whole of Somalia in general is in the doldrums and is not unique only to Puntland. However, in the case of Puntland, the conflict raging in Yemen has had a direct despressing effect, which will have to be endured and I hope that Gaas provides the sort of leadership necessary to mitigate its adverse effects.

nuune   

Tillamoock, I beg to differ, the economy of Puntland has flourished in the past few weeks since the arrival of Yemen refugees (returnees and yemeni originals), the economy was much worse before the arrival, the signs are everywhere that these refugees brought something with them :-)

And yes, it is unique to Puntland alone, I would not compare with Somaliland by the way (which is a head of Puntland, economy wise, and many other sectors, that is another topic I guess!).

I spent 2 months in both regions, and all I can say is, Puntland has a lot to catch, hopefully, the construction of the Bosaso airport will change things, and the urgent need for new port, the current one, I cannot comment on it since it is another topic as well, it is just an old fashion and cannot be described as modern day port (take a lesson from Berbera Port).

<cite>
said:</cite>

Tillamoock, I beg to differ, the economy of Puntland has flourished in the past few weeks since the arrival of Yemen refugees (returnees and yemeni originals), the economy was much worse before the arrival, the signs are everywhere that these refugees brought something with them :-)

And yes, it is unique to Puntland alone, I would not compare with Somaliland by the way (which is a head of Puntland, economy wise, and many other sectors, that is another topic I guess!).

I spent 2 months in both regions, and all I can say is, Puntland has a lot to catch, hopefully, the construction of the Bosaso airport will change things, and the urgent need for new port, the current one, I cannot comment on it since it is another topic as well, it is just an old fashion and cannot be described as modern day port (take a lesson from Berbera Port).

Your earlier post was allegedly blaming Gaas for the economic issues affecting Puntland according to what you heard from the "locals"--but now as you say, because of the Yemanite Refugees the economy has started to boom( no thanks to Gaas?). :D

In any case, the infrastructure projects currently underway and those promised by the president will give the Puntland economy a much needed boost, which in the long run will be beneficial to the whole of Somalia.

nuune   

Tillamoock, you got my point, that the economy is down, refugees or not, the economy is down and is due to many factors, mismanagement being one of them, the resources are there, wax ka maqan meesha ma jiro, Gaas can't do anything about it, he is powerless, I am telling you, his orders if any are not being taken series.

Laakin I can tell you also that some ministers misuse the public money and resources, instead of them doing their work and staying at their offices etc, they come to wasaarada maaliyada on daily bases taking money for whatever reasons they might have (they even send their children to collect money for shopping etc), they work very little, usually from 9am to 11am is the normal time ay caadeesteen qaarkood, and that is it, with the exception of one wasaarad I have seen that works more than full time, from 8am to 8pm, no exaggeration there, I have seen this wasaarad personally, not one day, but a whole 2 weeks I witnessed that they work so hard from 8am-8pm, had the rest of wasaarado follow suit, horumar ayaa la gaadhi lahaa in every sector.

Yes, projects and other big events are taking place, but when they are completed, mismanagement again, so the cycle will continue, one only needs to visit Bosaso Port to see the level of corruption going on there, the same is true, wasaarada maaliyada in Garowe became like suuqa xoolaha where ministers and their messengers queue up there everyday.

Hopefully, things will change, and my support for Gaas from day 1 was total disaster, I thought he will fight the corruption, xageed ku aragtey wasiiradiisa qaarkood oo sanad iyo badh wax ka yar joogey ay qaarkood dhisteen laba laba guri, iibsadeena saddex saddex gaadhi landcruiser ah, iska daa wasiiree, agaasimayaal ayaa laba laba baabuur maraya iyo guryo already iibsadey, and no, this is not their salary, their salary can't buy all that, these things need to stop and this money need to be invested where it is needed badly.

Runta hadaan laga hadlin horumar la gaadhi maayo, qiiradana aan iska yareeno ama xamaasada.

<cite>
said:</cite>

^

I still don't understand whether this scheme is meant to generate a return for the people who invest in it, or it is just another glorified form of Qaaraan?

From what I understand, it is Qaaraan.

Here's another guddi

http://puntlandi.com/sawiro-liiska-guddiga-hormarinta-sanduuqa-gobolka-mudug-oo-laso-bnadhigay/

Nuune. Have you seen Bosaso airport? My hope is these infrastructure projects materialize. It seems the Chinese are working hard and Somalis workers are following their lead. I hate to see sub-standard projects. The people could use a win.