Illyria

The Bosaso port project?

Illyria   

It is a major undertaking to say the least, and there must be State backing of a project of that magnitude. Where is Gaas getting all the funds 'cos there are many public investment projects going on in Puntland than anywhere else. Turkey, the only honest broker, seems to have halted its public investment projects in Xamar. anyone knows why?

I didn't believe the number when the Minister first mentioned it. If it's indeed true, it has to be State backed, no private enterprise would invest that much money in such volatile region.

I was also wondering about the company that will be building the port. I haven't seen anything to suggest that can undertake a project of this size.

http://www.somaliaonline.com/community/topic/divers-marine-contracting-l-l-c/

Ethiopia came to mind as they have been buying ships. There are already three docked at Djibouti. I don't see Ethiopia shelling out that money and not wanting to control the port hehe.

p.s. I don't know about Xamar but my guess is the Turks couldn't find any honest brokers or they didn't see a good return on their investment.

It is my understanding that initially this particular project was to be kept under wraps, but somehow the media got hold of the details through a leak, and run with it. It is a mystery indeed!.

YoniZ   

Anyone know who is financing the Bosaso port project? 200 million is no small feast.

The below article (dated on 21 May 2015) from the official UAE newspaper, may answer some of your questions.

It says quote "That is why the UAE views its good relationship with Puntland, the autonomous area that makes up roughly a third of the country, as a major achievement that can spread to the rest of the country through investment in communications, media and infrastructure. DP World, the Dubai-based global ports operator, is part of the UAE’s outreach programme for Somalia and it has plans to develop three ports in the country to help boost its faltering economy."

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/government/20150521/uae-people--politics-the-ongoing-campaign-to-save-somalia

The Bosaso deal has been signed just seven days after the article publication.

Illyria   

Thank you. That is good info.

I read the profile of the company and based upon the projects they have taken on so far, I think they can pull it off.

ElPunto   

Why all the secrecy and lack of information? That smells really bad. Usually politicians run ahead with news of this type. And what's in it for the Arabs - they have done little in Somalia in 20+ years of civil war - why the push now. Answers and explanations are necessary but Somali chief execs rarely see themselves accountable to their citizens.

YoniZ   

Arabs are not strange to doing projects in Somalia without fanfare.

If you know the list of Arab funded projects in PL alone you will eat your words back:

- Schools such as Imam Nawawi with 20k plus stundents, Hamdan and others.

- 7 technical and teachers training instutions (most of them mis-used and poorly run by the locals since 1993)

- Galkayo veterinary college

- East Africa University

- Mogadishu University

- the upcoming Makhir University

- the upcoming Garowe Airport

- The sprawling base of the Puntland Maritime Police Force

That is not even an exhaustive list, and if you look further across, Both Hargeisa Airport runway, the Airport terminals in Berbera, plus the huge orphane boarding school outside Hargeisa, and city's water infrustrucure are all funded by non other than Arabs.

Tell me what the darling transparent Westeren governments built outside the UNs neo clonism project?

ElPunto   

Arabs are not strange to doing projects in Somalia without fanfare.

If you know the list of Arab funded projects in PL alone you will eat your words back:

- Schools such as Imam Nawawi with 20k plus stundents, Hamdan and others.

- 7 technical and teachers training instutions (most of them mis-used and poorly run by the locals since 1993)

- Galkayo veterinary college

- East Africa University

- Mogadishu University

- the upcoming Makhir University

- the upcoming Garowe Airport

- The sprawling base of the Puntland Maritime Police Force

That is not even an exhaustive list, and if you look further across, Both Hargeisa Airport runway, the Airport terminals in Berbera, plus the huge orphane boarding school outside Hargeisa, and city's water infrustrucure are all funded by non other than Arabs.

Tell me what the darling transparent Westeren governments built outside the UNs neo clonism project

That list you cited is for the most part Arab backed donations that individuals with connections received for private use/benefit or a way to safeguard Gulf security. For example, East Africa University is a for profit institute started by Somalis with Gulf connections and money. It isn't an investment project of public use and benefit like this port one. This is different.

Why are they doing this now is my question? Is it simply competition with the Turks?

i don't take any government aid at face value - I just want to understand the exchange here.

BTW - if we are going to criticize the legitimate western blunders in Somalia - let's at least acknowledge the many tens of thousands of Somalis who are citizens of western countries now. When I look at what is happening to the poor displaced Syrians - I see that Somalis in the 1990s were very lucky indeed.

YoniZ   

Well, I was just highlighting, contrary to what the Westren influenced Faarixs breach. Arab funded projects in important sectors such as education need to get fair share of credit.

Why are the big projects now? The political an economic conditions in Somalia encourage every country including the Arabs to invest in big long term projects.

ElPunto   

^I fully get your point. The only thing is to subtract financial and other support they give to Al-Shabaab and other idiots. :D Net net positive or net net negative? Not sure.

Mooge   

The construction equipment is on its way. The president yesterday declared that the construction equipment will arrive Bosaso within one week.

Guul iyo gobanimo.