Sign in to follow this  
Admin

The Decolonising Our Minds Society in collaboration with the SOAS Somali Society present an evening of discussion. #CadaanStudies

Admin   

The Decolonising Our Minds Society in collaboration with the SOAS Somali Society present an evening of discussion on what a decolonised Somali Studies looks like.

The discussions sparked by #cadaanstudies has highlighted the ways in which academic knowledge production on Somalia/Somali speaking communities has continually excluded and overlooked the intellectual labour of Somalis themselves.

This event is not a plea to the academy for inclusion but rather a call to action for Somalis and other diasporic communities to reclaim our own narratives.

http://www.somaliaonline.com/the-decolonising-our-minds-society-in-collaboration-with-the-soas-somali-society-present-an-evening-of-discussion-on-what-a-decolonised-somali-studies-looks-like/

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Bravo Safferz!

"The Decolonising Our Minds Society"? Is that a new group?

I believe they're a student group based at SOAS, not sure how long they've been around. I watched the video and it's an interesting mix of people, not only graduate and undergraduate students but professionals and other concerned members of the community (Somali and non-Somali). I was told it would be a panel when I was asked to record a message, but I love how they did it more as a townhall style discussion. Looking forward to watching the other videos from the discussion once they're up!

Here are the live tweets from the discussion: https://storify.com/HajiKenadiid/can-the-somali-speak-roundtable-discussion-soas-on

galbeedi   

First , it is encouraging to see these young bright Somali minds trying to affect changes in academia and Somali studies in particular. While most of us middle aged men are immersed and preoccupied with our regions (tribal home lands), it is refreshing to see a new generation of educated Somalis aiming the big picture of being Somali and our indigenous culture.

Seeing the introduction of Safia, it shows how well educated and trained people can express issues with class and finesse. The issue of people like I. M. Lewis dominating Somali studies in the 21st century is a great dilemma for Somali anthropologists and others who involve in that subject. Personally, I do not have much to contribute on the subject other than admire the thought.

On the other hand, it might be naïve or too early for young Somalis to replace the old order without establishing themselves in these institutions. Small, slow incremental changes are needed . Also, in terms of back home, while the resilience of the culture is visible, without a functioning state that promotes culture and good traditions , the worst part of the culture and bad habits are easily detected by foreign sociologists or anyone who visits the country.

One of the young guys with big afro was talking about the value of the black lives. Perception is reality. Black people and their states must show progress, economic power and the value of their citizens. In old South Africa, during apartheid, the Chinese were labelled with Indians Blacks and mixed race, while the Japanese had same rights as the white Europeans. I bet the poor Chinese of 40 years ago are today's super power. victors always write history.

Any way I admire your journey.

Safferz   

Thanks Galbeedi :) I thought this event was terrific. One other dynamic of this social media moment has been democratizing academia in some way -- instead of limiting debates to the pages of academic journals no one reads, we are seeing conversations about Somali Studies taking place everywhere.