Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Somali Student Munira Khalif gets accepted into all eight Ivy League schools plus more

Admin   

A Minnesota teen has achieved the rare and prestigious honor of being accepted to all eight Ivy League schools.

Munira Khalif, a senior at Mounds Park Academy in St. Paul, Minnesota, told NBC affiliate KARE that she was accepted to all eight Ivy League schools — plus several other prestigious universities.

"I'm humbled to even be able to have these choices because I know that that's not the case for everyone," she said.

Munira Khalif

The eight Ivy League Schools are Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, Princeton and the University of Pennsylvania. Khalif was also accepted to Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Minnesota.

In addition to stellar grades and test scores, Khalif — who is the daughter of Somali immigrants— is a recipient of the United Nations Youth Courage Award and founder of her own non-profit, Lighting the Way. The organization is dedicated to improving access to education for East African youth.

"You're not accepted because of a score you're accepted because of the person that you are," she told KARE.

Meanwhile in Utica, New York, a Vietnamese immigrant and senior at Thomas R. Proctor High School, was accepted to all 13 schools she applied to — including 5 Ivies.

"I remember in third grade a teacher asked me what I wanted to be and I said: 'I want to go to the Ivy League and I want to be president,'" Trinh Truong, 17, told NBC affiliate WKTV.

http://www.somaliaonline.com/somali-student-munira-khalif-gets-accepted-into-all-eight-ivy-league-schools-plus-more/

She got accepted to Brown University? When has BU ever become an Ivy league?

Must have missed that one, but o'well.

I'd tell her to goto Yale, way better. I once had a Manager who went to Harvard and he was the biggest D bag I've met and enjoyed making people's lives miserable.

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>

She got accepted to Brown University? When has BU ever become an Ivy league?

Must have missed that one, but o'well.

I'd tell her to goto Yale, way better. I once had a Manager who went to Harvard and he was the biggest D bag I've met and enjoyed making people's lives miserable.

BU is Boston University, not Brown!

Congrats Munira :) I remember hearing about her and her activism as a high school student well before all of this. She deserves it!

Congrats to our sister Munira. I personally know her father, a wealthy Minnesotan who was one of the first Somalis to start a home-healthcare business. He now owns sizeable real-estate and healthcare businesses in Minnesota and Kansas.