Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

"Somaliland Journal of African Studies"

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>

^Quite the campaign you waged on twitter there. I think ultimately that individual got into a defensive mode and is unable or unwilling to see what you and others are getting at. Perhaps the campaign's confrontational style itself had something to do with his ill thought reaction.

For SOL members - here is the controversial thing this particular academic said:

The quote is from a post he made on my Facebook page, which doesn't give the full context. It was actually his FIRST comment on the issue at all and happened hours before any of us took to Twitter. So it was the other way around, walaal -- he entered the very suggestion of a conversation about this journal in a defensive and condescending manner, which in turn angered many people, and rightfully so. He didn't back down either, and he is still posting on other Facebook threads (not mine though, I blocked him after he said we will go back to "qabyaalad Soomaaliyeed" when we are done criticizing him).

Safferz   

<cite>

I think it would be an interesting exercise to list a dozen or so Somali scholars that have the necessary background/education/research to act in this capacity. To actually prove this guy wrong - we do actually have to come up with specific people.

Don't feel the need to prove anything to him. That would be succumbing to his willful ignorance.

ElPunto   

^I don't agree walaal. Ultimately - for our own sakes - Somalis have to know the intellectuals and academics we have that are qualified and able to write our own history. This canard of - no qualified Somali academics - will come back again and again unless factually disproven.

<cite>

The quote is from a post he made on my Facebook page, which doesn't give the full context. It was actually his FIRST comment on the issue at all and happened hours before any of us took to Twitter. So it was the other way around, walaal -- he entered the very suggestion of a conversation about this journal in a defensive and condescending manner, which in turn angered many people, and rightfully so. He didn't back down either, and he is still posting on other Facebook threads (not mine though, I blocked him after he said we will go back to "qabyaalad Soomaaliyeed" when we are done criticizing him).

Wow. That is pretty amazing. Talk about arrogant and foolish. How is that for engaging the very audience who you claim to study and depict dispassionately??!!

I've just clicked through to the link of this so called "Somaliland Journal of African Studies". It appears that 3 out of 5 of the men on the editorial board of this journal are Ethiopians. Why they would choose to name their journal "Somaliland Journal of African Studies" is beyond me. I say not in our name. A far more appropriate name would be: "The Addis Ababa Ethiopian Journal of African Studies".

Its bizarre.

Abera Hailemariam (Editor, Addis Ababa University)

Moges Demissie (Editor, Addis Ababa University)

Abdi Zenebe (Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Addis Ababa University/University of Hargeisa)

Rodrigo Vaz (Editor-in-Chief, SOAS, University of London)

Jorge Campos Tellez (Editor, University of Chicago)

<cite>

I don't know why this particular journal is named after Somaliland given that the founders could give it an exotic sounding name like 'The Great Rift Valley' or 'the Horn of Africa'. Nevertheless, naming an academic journal after a specific geographical location does not necessarily give the institutions in such a location the right to have their papers published in the journal or the locals the right to sit in the editorial board. For instance, the reputed New England journal of medicine mostly publishes papers by academics associated with the Ivies and other top rated institutions across the globe but hardly any material originating from their local scholars.

So guys there is no need to create a drama out this harmless mashruuc.

It goes without saying that whatever is published by and in this journal will be associated with Somaliland.

Safferz   

Hi guys -- so I'm revealing myself here but I think it's more important SOLers are aware of what has gone on with this since I started the thread. Anyway, a few important links:

1. A Storify collection that shows the tweets from #CadaanStudies on March 25th.

2. The first piece of writing, an op-ed on Sahan Journal called "#CadaanStudies, Somali thought leaders and the inadequacies of white colonial scholarship"

3. The open letter from Somali researchers/academics, writers, students, activists, community members and our non-Somali academic and activist allies in solidarity.

4. My article in the blog/website Africa is a Country, called "Can the Somali Speak?"

5. The anthropologist's response to me and the Sahan op-ed

There's more in the works and coming soon...

nuune   

Good job again Safferz, you have put so much energy and time into this, hopefully the so called experts of Somali people will cease to exist.

ElPunto   

The first op-ed on Sahan is not exactly a ringing example of a scholarly attempt at debunking this journal and/or advisory board. Here is a quote:

I know without a doubt that Markus Hoehne’s mediocre understanding of Somali and offensive tribal motivated racial remarks will continue to show up in his subpar scholarship with Somalis themselves continuing to clap back at these foolish and pitiful fumbles of our history and experiences.

But overall it is good to get the debate going.

EDIT: I read the response of Markus on Sahan and it was a thoughtful and serious one that showed he understood where his comments were wrong, ill-advised or plain insulting. Hopefully - this experience has a meaningful and positive impact on the makeup and inclusiveness of the SJAS advisory board.

Tallaabo   

<cite>

It goes without saying that whatever is published by and in this journal will be associated with Somaliland.

No that is not true. This journal is not owned by Somaliland or its people so whatever it does is not our responsibility.

Tallaabo   

<cite>

Hi guys -- so I'm revealing myself here

Well you revealed yourself the moment you posted that hash tag jihad on the cadaan guys :-D

Tallaabo   

Here is one question about this subject Safferz:

What will prevent us from starting a journal with only Somali editors devoted to the study of North America with the title 'Canadian journal of North American studies'?

nuune   
Tallaabo, you are arguing for NOTHING, good luck with your Cadaan experts about Somali people, you value their input more than your fellow Somalis, Abti, caadi iska dhig.

Holac   

I have few questions for the guys who run this so-called academic journal

1. Before you launched this journal, have you made a genuine attempt to find qualified Somalis to add to your team?

2. Will you make the necessary changes now that this issue has been brought to your attention?

Great work Safferz for spearheading the campaign to highlight an issue which has been ignored for so long.