Sign in to follow this  
DoctorKenney

Diversity does not work

This is something I had to get off my chest for a while now. But as I've read past accounts on global history, and as I read current news reports of what's going on the world....I've been thoroughly convinced that diversity does not work. No matter what country you enter, whether it's Yugoslavia, or India, or Sudan, or the Philippines, or Nigeria....you will see different ethnic groups at each other's throats, trying to kill or suppress each other.

Even in Iraq and Syria, you have Sunni Arabs killing Shia Arabs and vice-versa. And even when there isn't violence, it takes the Government of that specific country all it's effort to prevent violence and unrest from breaking out. Western Europe is going through severe turmoil where the immigrants are increasingly in conflict with the indigenous Europeans. Already, there are massive demonstrations in France, Germany, and other countries by native Germans and native Frenchmen opposing immigration to their land.

Countries that are relatively homogeneous, such as Japan and Taiwan and South Korea and Poland....have a very high degree of social and economic stability. These nations don't have to worry about suppressing ethnic/religious anger, and the countries even have a relatively low crime rate.

Economic growth is much easier when the population is homogeneous, as politicians would get elected based on policies instead of being elected just based off their identity. In Somalia, people vote for politicians based ONLY on their clan affiliation. The same thing happens in Nigeria, where the Igbo and the Hausa and the Yoruba people vote for politicians not on their credentials/policies, but based only on their ethnic background. This gives politicians an incentive to exploit ethnic divisions for the purposes of getting elected, and it can even destabilize the nation. Here in America, 95% of Blacks voted for Barack Obama JUST BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK. Hardly any of them were familiar with his economic policies, or energy policy or foreign policy. They voted for this man just because he was Black.....and this type of thing occurs in many countries where the population is extremely diverse.

And I feel like out of all the countries in Africa, Somalia is one of the more homogeneous ones. At least 90% of the people in Somalia are ethnically Somali, while the remaining are Reer Xamar, Barawaanis, and other groups. We are all Sunni Muslim alhamdulilah. But even with our similarities, we find it extremely difficult to get along. Extremely difficult to get on the same page despite our commonalities. A White European could hardly tell the difference between a D-Block Somali and an H-Block Somali. But to us, those differences are like night and day.

I really think that we Somalis should do whatever we can to preserve our ethnic/cultural/religious homogeneity. We are not completely homogeneous, but we are close enough. And it seems pretty clear that the more we stir the pot of "cultural diversity"....the more it will inflame ethnic tensions in the future. And our Somali descendants 100 years from now will curse us for what we've done.

Diversity does not work

I just think people need to learn to tolerate and get along with each other.

It's not so much about diversity or multiculturalism, because as you have said, how do you explain Somalia and the half other dozen other countries where 1 group is 90% of the population and there is still war and strive going on.

And for what's going on in Europe in its anti Immigration, it's kinda weird cuz it was Europeans who opened up the world and made contact with others, and they were 'spose to be the enlightened ones. It's really confusing.

And for Somalia remaining 90%+ Somalis, maybe that's where our problem is. If we are left to our own device, we would turn on each other.

Maybe if we had 10 -15% Ajanabis amongst us, the situation wouldn't be as bad.

That's just my 2 Taano.

<cite>
said:</cite>

And for Somalia remaining 90%+ Somalis, maybe that's where our problem is. If we are left to our own device, we would turn on each other.

Maybe if we had 10 -15% Ajanabis amongst us, the situation wouldn't be as bad.

That's just my 2 Taano.

I would love to see Somalia maintain it's ethnic homogeneity, where 90% of the people are Somalis inshaAllah. The remaining few would be the Barawaanis, the Reer Xamars, and the Mushunguli (Zanzabari) people etc.

Somalia should also maintain it's 100% Sunni Muslim population, as we've seen how sectarian conflict has ripped apart countries like Iraq, Syria and even Yemen. Somalia shouldn't risk such ethnic/religious strife.

We already have enough problems getting along as it is, with our different Qabiils all trying to dominate one another. The least we can do at this time is to not make the problem any worse than it already is. Believe me, Somalia will overcome this temporary civil war, and our similarities are FAR more numerous than our tiny differences. We are ONE people, and not many countries are lucky enough to have a population that's so alike in so many ways. We need to maintain this saaxib. I don't want to see the non-Somali population exceed 10%.

<cite>

I just think people need to learn to tolerate and get along with each other.

It's not so much about diversity or multiculturalism, because as you have said, how do you explain Somalia and the half other dozen other countries where 1 group is 90% of the population and there is still war and strive going on.

And for what's going on in Europe in its anti Immigration, it's kinda weird cuz it was Europeans who opened up the world and made contact with others, and they were 'spose to be the enlightened ones. It's really confusing.

That's far easier said than done. Even in a country like Canada, you have different ethnic groups forming their own ethnic enclaves. The Greeks live amongst Greeks. The Jews live amongst Jews. The Jamaicans live amongst each other and so do the Somalis. Even the Chinese have their own sections of town and their own economic base.

People can talk about diversity and "getting along"....but even when you look at places like the USA and Canada, you have different ethnic groups separating themselves from each other.

Just ask your typical Somali in North America. He will tell you that at least 70% of all his friends/associates are OTHER Somalis. When I visited Toronto, many of the guys/girls spoke to me that at least 80% of their associates are other Somalis, and that they feel more comfortable around other Somalis than they do with Ajnaabis. You see that in school, in workplaces, etc. This isn't a particularly bad thing. It's a reality that we need to accept. And it's painfully ironic, because outside of Somalia you see Somalis largely getting along (even amongst different Qabiils) but yet within Somalia you'll see different Qabiils trying to dominate/suppress one another.

Western Europe is probably going through severe regret that they opened their doors to massive immigration, often displaying the indigenous European people. It's been projected that in a few decades, Sweden will be majority non-white. The same will happen in England, and in other countries in Europe. Already if you visit cities like London, Manchester, Birmingham....you will see entire neighborhoods of different ethnic groups and very little indigenous English. And this is only gonna become more severe as time goes on and this is already placing a huge toll on England.

All this does is show that diversity cannot work.

samiig   

DK its trying sidetrack us with this diversity BS, away from the real issue people are demonstrating against in france and germany-- ISLAMISM. the same ideology that spwaned isis, al shabaab, taliban, boko, al qaeda, islamic brotherhood et al and which he defends on this site at every turn. nobody is demonstrating against hindus, chinese or even blacks, what native populations in the west unanimously object to is muslim immigraton.

Ethnic enclaves are not a problem, subversion of the state from within is. this is what a captured internal MB memo detailed;

The Ikhwan must understand that their work in America is a kind of grand Jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and "sabotaging" its miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and God's religion is made victorious over all other religions. Without this level of understanding, we are not up to this challenge and have not prepared ourselves for Jihad yet. It is a Muslim's destiny to perform Jihad and work wherever he is and wherever he lands until the final hour comes, and there is no escape from that destiny except for those who chose to slack. But, would the slackers and the Mujahedeen be equal.

<cite>

Hmmm, do you ever see yourself going back home sxb? Just curious.
:)

In the long run, yes. InshaAllah. But we also have to understand that the USA is a unique situation (along with Canada and Australia)....since those countries were founded by immigrants. And because of that, I am just as much a citizen of this country as any White or African-American person.

<cite>

DK its trying sidetrack us with this diversity BS, away from the real issue people are demonstrating against in france and germany-- ISLAMISM. the same ideology that spwaned isis, al shabaab, taliban, boko, al qaeda, islamic brotherhood et al and which he defends on this site at every turn. nobody is demonstrating against hindus, chinese or even blacks, what native populations in the west unanimously object to is muslim immigraton.

Ethnic enclaves are not a problem, subversion of the state from within is. this is what a captured internal MB memo detailed;

The Ikhwan must understand that their work in America is a kind of grand Jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and "sabotaging" its miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and God's religion is made victorious over all other religions. Without this level of understanding, we are not up to this challenge and have not prepared ourselves for Jihad yet. It is a Muslim's destiny to perform Jihad and work wherever he is and wherever he lands until the final hour comes, and there is no escape from that destiny except for those who chose to slack. But, would the slackers and the Mujahedeen be equal.

You have no idea what I'm talking about. And you're diverting from the real topic at hand here. Europeans increasingly are in favor of re-establishing mono-ethnic states like they once had in the past. And I've given examples in countries around the world where diversity was disastrous for the people in that country.

“Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word.”

― Thomas Sowell

Holac   

Diversity doesn't work in a lot of ways. DK is right in his assertions. But his definition of who is Somali and who is not, is unclear. Reer Hamars are Somalis as far as ethnicity, culture, language and religion are concerned.

Safferz   

I'm not following, DK. How can you possibly bring up Somalia's homogeneity and not see how that undermines the point you're trying to make? What is perhaps the most unstable nation-state in the world is also one of the most homogenous. How does your simple theory of global conflict explain that one? If diversity is the reason for conflict, shouldn't Somalia be the ideal type, the proof that homogeneity leads to peace, stability, harmony?

I was trying to avoid this thread because it's a poor argument with no basis in historical analysis, despite your claims. Ethnicity is not a static thing, difference and diversity have existed throughout history, yet every example you've cited here of "diversity not working" is relatively recent. Categories change and transform over time, including clan identities in Somalia, which have been politicized in ways they have never been before in the last 30 years. There are multiple factors that interact to produce conflicts, and difference (whether racial, ethnic, religious) is simply a proxy for issues like political power and control, economic exploitation and domination, etc. Is France's inability to comprehend and "tolerate" its Muslim population evidence that diversity doesn't work? Or is it the aftermath/afterlives of colonialism and violence, as the former colonial subjects of the French empire are now living IN France to contend with? Every place you mention has its own history, context and dynamics, and pinning it all on diversity being the issue is reductive and asinine.

And Europe is hardly moving towards "reestablishing mono-ethnic states," they have moved towards a supranational state called the European Union. How's that for diversity?