Sign in to follow this  
DoctorKenney

Somali girl Ladan Takow travels to India and documents her experiences

http://ladantakow.blogspot.in/

http://www.twitter.com/lathaney

A young Somali woman from London traveled to India for a charity fundraiser, and in the course of her stay she documents her experiences living in India, amongst the locals. She traveled for a non-profit agency into the Indian cities of Chennai and Bangalore, with a group of her friends. Extremely interesting development.

DSC_0904.JPG

DSC_0589.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

DSC_0704.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

She blogs about her experiences, what she's learned from the locals, and what she expects in the future. She even has a Twitter account where she tweets her experiences living in India for the last 3 months. I was very amazed at this and thought I should share.

I know many Somalis who regularly go traveling, but not like this. Most of the Somalis that I know who live in America tend to only visit Canada, Britain, the Horn of Africa, and Dubai. But visiting an utterly foreign place like India, and not only that but living amongst the locals and forming connections with them is something I haven't seen many people do. That takes a lot of guts because you're treading into the unknown. Thankfully she's not going alone but she's traveling amongst a group of cadaan girls.

This is amazing. Her twitter account link and blog link are at the very top.

I got through to the interview stage for this programme but I couldn't go due to the timing/education etc. :( It's called ICS and it's an awesome programme. I think you can learn a lot from experiences like this. I also encourage anyone who goes to any of the Somali regions to also visit the rural areas which have a very different way of living to the urban areas as you'd expect. I am considering applying again inshaallah !

<cite>
said:</cite>

She looks just like those little Indian urchins, only much uglier. I didn't bother reading past the "charity fundraiser".

Good, now get off of this thread. It wasn't intended for you. And have a little more respect for this woman.

<cite>
said:</cite>

Takow? DoctorKenney, what kind of last name is that? Is it Somali?

I found the last name strange as well. But she's most definitely a Somali though, you can check her Twitter page which I linked to at the top.