Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Going to London... neighbourhood suggestions

Safferz   

I'm starting to plan a trip to London next summer (~2ish months) to visit the National Archives at Kew Gardens. I'm trying to figure out where to stay and what neighbourhoods to look at, so I was hoping SOLers more familiar with the city might have ideas. Kew seems to be outside of the city and looks boring, so somewhere interesting and not too far of a commute for me (I'd have to go there each day on weekdays).

Also, where do people find places to rent in London? Craigslist is the go-to website here in the US, but what do people use in the UK?

London has one the highest rates of rape in Western Europe. there's also a lot of other activities to do. try to avoid the Somali settled areas because they're scum.

Mooge   

walashey qalanjo, don't go to London. please come to nairobi. but if you go to london, leave quick because it the most expensive place. you will empty all your cash in 1 week.

this school thing is killing you taking you to places as bad as london. i can't wait the day you finish.

Safferz   

Still a long way to go, Mooge! I'm actually moving to Ethiopia in November for a year and a half, which I'm looking forward to.

I've lost interest in visiting Kenya though, after recent events. But I have friends in Tanzania that I'd like to visit :)

Holac   

Safferz, good luck with the visit. I am sure you will like it.

If you have an iPhone, download the tube/transit app.

Miyir   

<cite>
said:</cite>

London has one the highest rates of rape in Western Europe. there's also a lot of other activities to do. try to avoid the Somali settled areas because they're scum.

This post sums up all, Impotence (fear of other Men) and inferiority complex (stay away from own kind) kind of the separatist mentality.

Miyir   

Saff

I like London, a melting pot and huge Somali diaspora, cheap flights to all major cities in Europe, have a blast.

Miyir   

Saff

I like London, a melting pot and huge Somali diaspora, cheap flights to all major cities in Europe, have a blast.

Why don't you use B&B website to rent ..that's the cheapest way ..you just never know that someone wth a mansion is taking off for a vacation and might rent to you for $800 a month ( keep in mind that regular rent is for one beedroom in London is $1390

Safferz   

Thanks Ismail -- I plan to check out Airbnb, but it's mostly targeted to people looking for a cheaper alternative to hotels. It generally isn't cheap at all if you want to stay more than a week and compare the monthly cost on Airbnb to what regular rents/sublets would look like. So I need to find out where Londoners find sublets... I found a site called SpareRoom that seems to be popular, but I'm not too keen on roommates lol

<cite>
said:</cite>

Hey Saff what are you going to do in Kew Gardens- gardening? Tree hugging? :-D

I said it in my post, I'm visiting the UK National Archives dee :P I need to go through all the colonial files on Somaliland/Somalia and any documents relating to Ethiopia.

Safferz   

Of course I have relatives in London, but I'm there to do work and I can't afford the distraction. They also don't live anywhere near Kew, so it wouldn't be convenient for me either either.