Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Hani Jacobson, a Somali refugee who says her life in the U.S. hasn't always been as prosperous, lives her dream in Minnesota

Admin   

hani-jacobson-somali-refugeeIt was 2005 and then 21-year-old Hani Jacobson was visiting family in St. Cloud.The Somali-American's stay was supposed to be temporary. But after filling in for her sister at her job at the Whitney Center, fate had other ideas."My first impression was she was beautiful, hard-working and smart," said her husband Nathan Jacobson.Nathan was volunteering at Whitney Center when the two met. He grew up in Borup and initially came to the area to attend St. Cloud State University.Hani and Nathan wed in March 2007. They now live in a north St. Cloud home with their three children: a 6-year-old son named Gabriel, a 3-year-old daughter named Layla and a 1-year-old son named Elijah."My first impression of Nathan is that he was really caring to newcomers, especially people from my community," Hani said. "He really cared about the new immigrants."Hani also noticed an opportunity to make a difference in St. Cloud's growing Somali community.She was born to an upper-middle class family in Mogadishu, Somalia, and escaped to refugee camps in Kenya when she was 7. It was 1991, and the Somali civil war had begun. She made it to the U.S. through the World Relief organization at age 9 in 1993 and grew up in an Atlanta suburb. Hani had also lived in Seattle and Nashville prior to coming to St. Cloud."I noticed there was a great need here for someone in the Somali community with an American education," Hani said. "Where I grew up by Atlanta, the people (had) left way earlier in the civil war. Most were wealthier, from Mogadishu and had an educational background. It was way easier for us to start lives as Americans."Whereas the immigrants who are coming to St. Cloud now were more like villagers or kids that grew up or were born in refugee camps."Hani is now an OB-GYN nurse at CentraCare Health Plaza, working with women of all cultures. She previously worked with Somali students in the St. Cloud school district, and she helped teach Somalis English and basic computer skills at the Whitney Senior Center and the BRIDGE World Language Center in Waite Park.Nathan teaches English as a Second Language courses at St. Cloud Technical & Community College."It's funny because my husband is kind of more known than I am among Somali people," Hani said.Hani, who has worked regularly since she turned 16 to help support her parents and 11 siblings, accomplished a lifelong goal by attending college in St. Cloud.While she's sacrificed her initial goal of supervising childbirth so she can spend more time with her family, Hani said she enjoys her current job working with pregnant women.But her life in the U.S. hasn't always been as prosperous or as full of acceptance."Before the war, my dad worked really hard and we lived an upper-middle class life," Hani said. "After coming to America we thought: 'Everything is going to be great again. We are going to get our lives back.'"But things were much harder than we anticipated."Hani's family initially settled in Clarkston, Georgia, a popular relocation for the first wave of Somali civil war refugees."It was a predominately African-American community but they had never heard of Somalis or Somali people," Hani said. "It was like we weren't welcome."Hani said Somalis were often bullied, including her brother who was once beaten into a coma at school."Fortunately, as time went on things got better," Hani said.And after multiple stops and struggles, she's found the American dream in St. Cloud.Growing up in 2 culturesWhen you ask Nathan and Hani's 6-year-old son what his first name is, the answer depends on who is asking.When it's Nathan's family from Borup or other English speakers asking, the son's response is "Gabriel."When it's Hani's family from Mogadishu or members of the local Somali community, the son's response is "Jibril," which is the Arabic equivalent of Gabriel."He already knows the difference," Hani said. "Lately he's been noticing the two cultures."Nathan and Hani hope their son takes the most positive qualities from each culture.Follow Jake Laxen on Twitter @jacoblaxenSource: http://www.sctimes.com

http://www.somaliaonline.com/hani-jacobson-a-somali-refugee-who-says-her-life-in-the-u-s-hasnt-always-been-as-prosperous-lives-her-dream-in-minnesota/

Khayr   

So why is this story being posted?

Are we being told that a good Somali women

is one that is:

1. Employed in a white collar job and

2. Is married to a Non-Somali?

3. Is assimiliated and has adopted an American (first) identity over other identities?

<cite>
said:</cite>

So why is this story being posted?

Are we being told that a good Somali women

is one that is:

1. Employed in a white collar job and

2. Is married to a Non-Somali?

3. Is assimiliated and has adopted an American (first) identity over other identities?

This woman is well entitled to live whatever lifestyle she chooses to live. And you should be happy for her, as long as she sticks to Islam.

And work whatever profession she chooses to work.

And marry whatever ethnicity she chooses to marry, as long as he's a Muslim.

Khayr   

Well judging by the fruits from the tree (non-hijabi, married to "Nathan" and kids having

Biblican names like Elijah) it would be only fair to draw the conclusion that her hubby isn't muslim.

In addition, no piece of American Journalism is free of biase. Journalism is a propogation tool to report news from a particular perspective. It is used to propogate ideads and views. I am questioning why this particular individual is being praised as opposed to "other" more traditional role playing Somali women and why would that article be chosed to be posted on SOL.

Khayr   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Her husband is a Muslim actually. He wrote a letter in reply to Somalis with your mentality that can't let others live their lives.

Enjoy the read;

The only thing I find strange is that she took his last name. But even that is her decision. Live and let live.

Have you seen this show called "American Muslim".

It is about muslims in Michigan. Well, on one episode the white american dude says to the T.V.

that he just did the whole "muslim" thing so that he could get accepted into the girl's family (muslim family). Neither he nor the girl were religious but her parents were still practicing muslims. Get the point!

Anyways, the issue is not Islam but rather what is being deemed to be "praiseworthy" actions that are suitable for appauleding and reporting.

One more thing - Live and let live is total B.S.

If you really lived by it, why come out in defence of the article and the person? I am entitled to my opinion so why did you respond unless ofcourse...

Hasina   

No, I didn't watch that show. Are you insinuating that he faked his muslimnimo for 7 years? Maxaad sheegaysaa? If someone says they are muslim, waa muslim.

I responded because you assumed her husband must not be a Muslim because of how she is dressed. Cajiib. So I responded to dispel your assumption. Now you can continue your judgements to your heart's content. So you see, live and let live is not BS.

Khayr   

Hasina,

When you name your kids names like Elijah and don't wear hijab and your hubby is called Nathan,

what link to being Muslim is there?

All I see is an "American Family" and that is what the article is gloating about. She dropped her culture and religion and look at the end result - success and validation.

That is the underlying point of all this. She is a success story precisely because of those factors.

What's funny people apologizing on behalf of all Somalis or Somalia people as someone wrote. Someone had to mention the backwardness of Somalis, I guess he is not one of those backward ones.

ElPunto   

Poor couple - one reason not put yourself out there. It's the nature of the social media world we live in. Every twit can air his/her half assed whatever on anything at anytime. Add to that - we come from some of the most opinionated folks on the planet and the fact that this is a Somali woman married to a non-Somalia.

Adam   

Talk about shooting yourself in foot. If you put yourself in the public domain expect to be judged even trolled sunshine .#someoneneedstostopbeingagiantcrybaby#.America is a melting pot.

N.O.R.F   

Feel bad for the couple. Social media is just a harsh place. The misplaced pride of our people and Social media is a bad combination.

Khayr   

Norf, focus on what the article is about.

Why focus on "Hani Jacobson"? What is the author implying

by writing this article?