Sign in to follow this  
DoctorKenney

Woman harassed by 100 different men while walking around New York City

I seen this video and I just had to share. Look at how many men attempt to sweet-talk this woman as she's walking around New York....

Granted, not all of these encounters could be termed as "harassment" but this is really eye-opening nonetheless.

If this is what women have to deal with on a daily basis, then I don't know what to say

There's an even worse video online where a woman in Brussels, Belgium is videotaped walking around town while she harassed by many different men, and for some reason most of these men originated from North Africa (Morocco, Algeria, etc.)

The men said far more explicit things, and were far more threatening. What this woman went through in New York is pretty soft compared to what happened in Belgium.

Safferz   

I don't like the racial politics of the video -- they've edited out the footage of white guys catcalling her. I find most conversations about street harassment have racist undertones, focusing on the language of black and latino men, their presence in public space, etc with the message that they're thirsty and threatening to women (read: white women).

That said, I'm not opposed to raising awareness about street harassment and having a conversation about it, I just don't like how it's often framed.

Safferz, we can't pretend that the men in NYC aren't like the ones we've seen in this video. I've been to NYC, I'm sure you have as well...along with many of my female cousins and in-laws and they experience much of this same treatment while walking down the streets of Manhattan.

This woman "Shoshana Roberts" even showcased White men giving her comments, and she explicitly said that she receives harassment by all races of men, so there doesn't appear to be any racist intentions by this video. It just appears that black&latino men are more likely to approach a woman in this manner, when compared to other races. That's all. Maybe White men prefer to approach a woman in a coffee shop or at a bus stop. That doesn't make one of them any better than the other

Tallaabo   

It is obvious the creepiest guys in the video are all black. Given such a high proportion of scumbags in the African American community, I don't understand why human rights activists whine about "locking up the black man". A quick glance at prison reports will also give you a clue about the nature of these black men. American prison reports are full of sexual slavery, gang rape, brutality, and other horror stories.

Safferz   

It's pretty damn obtuse of the two of you to think an edited video makes anything "obvious" about how it's "more likely" that black and latino men catcall women, particularly when I've linked you to an article where they've clearly stated that white men in the video were EDITED OUT of final footage. I don't need you to mansplain street harassment to me either, DoctorKenney. For what it's worth, I've experienced far worse male harassment by white men in Europe than I have by any man in NYC or North America more broadly.

Tallaabo, for someone generally more progressive on issues than most SOLers, I'm really disappointed by your comment. It should be common knowledge at this point that most black men are imprisoned for non-violent drug charges - in a system where you will get 100 TIMES LONGER of a sentence length for crack-cocaine (a poor people's drug) than you will for powder cocaine (the designer drug of choice for wealthier white people), even though the only difference between the two is baking soda and water. This is compounded by the fact that there is overpolicing in black communities, and statistically black men are more likely to be arrested, tried and convicted (and receive longer prison terms) for the SAME crimes as white men. There's an entire literature on this, but Michelle Alexander's book The New Jim Crow is a good start, or perhaps a documentary like The House I Live In.

Anyway, this is my last post in the thread. Not really interested in endless pages of enraging posts, particularly during this time of the year, so it's best to disengage.

<cite>
said:</cite> It should be common knowledge at this point that most black men are imprisoned for non-violent drug charges

That is a blatant lie, it's not even remotely true. Where do you get your facts from Safferz, and where's your source?

Between 1976 and 2005 blacks committed more than half of all murders in the United States. Even though they're only 13% of the population.

Blacks committed more than 80% of all shootings in NYC in 2009.

Blacks committed more than 70% of all robberies in NYC in 2009

And Safferz, you made the claim that most Black-Americans in prison are there because of drug-charges. That's NOT TRUE:

These communities aren’t dangerous because of racist cops or judges or sentencing guidelines. They’re dangerous mainly due to black criminals preying on black victims.
Nor is the racial disparity in prison inmates explained by the enforcement of drug laws.
In 2006 blacks were 37.5 percent of the 1,274,600 people in state prisons, which house 88 percent of the nation’s prison population, explained Heather Mac Donald. “If you remove drug prisoners from that population, the percentage of black prisoners drops to 37 percent—
half of a percentage point, hardly a significant difference
.” It’s true that drug prosecutions have risen markedly over the past thirty years. Drug offenders were 6.4 percent of state prison inmates in 1979 but had jumped to 20 percent by 2004. “Even so,” wrote Mac Donald,
“violent and property offenders continue to dominate the ranks: in 2004, 52 percent of state prisoners were serving time for violence and 21 percent for property crimes, for a combined total over three and a half times that of state drug offenders.”
Drug- war critics like to focus on federal prisons, where drug offenders climbed from 25 percent of the inmate population in 1980 to 47.6 percent in 2006. “But the federal system held just 12.3 percent of the nation’s prisoners in 2006,” noted Mac Donald.
“So much for the claim that blacks are disproportionately imprisoned because of the war on drugs.”

Riley, Jason L. (2014-06-17). Please Stop Helping Us: How Liberals Make It Harder for Blacks to Succeed (pp. 74-75). Encounter Books. Kindle Edition.

Safferz, for all your talk on "research" and "statistics", you should know that the vast majority of Blacks who are arrested and incarcerated for crimes, are serving time for VIOLENT CRIME (murder, rape, robbery) and PROPERTY CRIME (theft, vandalism, breaking and entering). Not this "non-violent drug crime" shtick which you keep repeating but is far from true. You're not doing yourself any favors when you try to defend these violent criminals who sell crack-cocaine in our communities (which has ruined countless communities). Or when you defend these Blacks who are incarcerated for robberies and other violent crimes.

The first step to solving a problem, is to admit that the problem exists. All you wanna do is stick your fingers in your ears and pretend like nothing is going on. Maybe you don't see this problem for yourself, since you live in a bubble in peaceful Toronto, Canada. But anyone who lives in the United States knows I'm not lying, they know that cities like Chicago and New Orleans and Detroit and Baltimore have high crime-rates, and the murders are committed by Blacks. In fact, 99% of the crimes committed in NYC are done by Blacks and Hispanics.

You can't even walk through certain neighborhoods without being robbed and possibly killed, and Safferz wants to pretend that this problem doesn't exist.

And notice how Safferz immediately says she wants to disengage from this thread. I brought my facts, regardless of how distasteful and painful they are to read. But the facts are the facts. Blacks are far more likely to commit crimes when compared to other racial groups, and the vast majority of their victims are other Blacks. Yet for some reason, we have people sympathizing with them and trying their best to "explain away" their actions.

So instead of sympathizing with the victims, they want to sympathize with the criminals themselves!

You know Safferz, a little personal responsibility can go a very long way here.