Sign in to follow this  
Admin

The Ibrahim Index of African Governance ranked Somalia lowest, coming bottom in all four categories

Admin   

mo-ibrahim-foundationLONDON  (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - African governance standards are gradually improving but there are warning signs of backsliding, an annual index on the way countries are governed showed on Monday.The Ibrahim Index of African Governance ranked Somalia lowest, coming bottom in all four categories: safety and rule of law, participation and human rights, sustainable economic opportunity and human development.Mauritius kept the top spot, followed by Cape Verde, Botswana, South Africa and the Seychelles, all of which were in the top five last year.Mo Ibrahim, the Sudanese telecoms tycoon who founded the index, welcomed the fact that 13 out of 52 countries had improved in overall governance as well as political, social and economic governance over the past five years."The picture is mixed," Ibrahim told a news conference. "Governance has improved across Africa but we need to remain vigilant and not get complacent."Sustainable economic opportunity, a measure of how governments deliver policies conducive to growth, declined in the past five years following improvements from 2005 to 2009.Festus Mogae, a former president of Botswana, said this was a big challenge for Africa."It's a great worry because it has resulted in high unemployment, especially among our youth," Mogae told the Thomson Reuters Foundation."African governments must think of how they can grow their economies so that there are acceptable levels of employment."More and more Africans are going to school and university, he said, but job creation had not been keeping up with the supply of skilled labour.AFRICA RISING ... SLOWLYIbrahim cautioned that even the highest performers had deteriorated in at least one index category, a sign that they had to stay committed to the governance agenda to maintain hard-won gains."Africa is rising but it's rising slowly," he said.Mauritius, South Africa and the Seychelles slipped in the safety and rule of law category, Cape Verde in human development and Botswana in sustainable economic development. South Africa also deteriorated on human rights.Ivory Coast, Guinea, Niger, Zimbabwe and Senegal improved most in overall governance, while Egypt, Libya, Guinea-Bissau, Central African Republic and Mali deteriorated most.Southern Africa scored the highest regional average, with Namibia and Lesotho joining Mauritius, Botswana and South Africa in the top 10.Central Africa got the lowest regional average, with Central African Republic coming in just ahead of Somalia in the overall ranking and Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea and Congo also among the 10 bottom-ranked countries.The index is based on more than 100 indicators from over 30 independent African and international sources. (Reporting By Astrid Zweynert; Editing by Alisa Tang and Ros RussellSource: http://www.trust.org/

http://www.somaliaonline.com/the-ibrahim-index-of-african-governance-ranked-somalia-lowest-coming-bottom-in-all-four-categories/

I know this is a study ranking all African nations. I know that the Somali Federal Government ranks the lowest...

But I'd like to know where Puntland ranks in "African Governance" :D

Or where Somaliland ranks. Now THAT would be something interesting to read about :D

Khayr   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Pathetic Somalia. always the laughing stock of the world.

If Somaliland is not even in the picture,

then how can a Slander say a single word about World Rankings. Man-Child....funny name...

Khadafi   

Khayr 1+!

I hope that this thread creates an honest discssion regarding Somalis rankings. Some people when confonted with harsh facts are quick to arm themselves with the argument "well, somalia with no functioning state has the best and cheapest telecommunications in Africa, better then Egypt or Ethiopia". After the reply comes picturs on some bizarre non-urban planned buildings with weird colors as proof on the prosperity that Somalia gained despite the civil war.

These replys eases the inferioty complex and eases the anxiety when seeing your countrey being on the bottom of every index of misery. A couple of months of ago, or a year MMA posted a survey about corrpution in the World and guess what? Somalia was one of the most corrupt nations in the world. That did not come as a shock but what was more intresting is how dismissive we were on that report.

I have to be honest, I too was one of those people who used to buy that bullshit that Somalia, despite the mountanious political social and economical challenges it's facing- they were still better of then other black african nations.

Why should they not be so? After all, remember that reality in Somalia is like scene from a mad-max movie, a non-regulated free for all free-market with no taxes and no nothing- A place where an investor can do what ever he wants. Economy is not my field of study but I guess that the above mentioned recipe is good.

A somali guy who has masters in economy and now pursuing Phd explained the hoax during a conferance, most of the attendes of the conferance were Somalis with a few cadaan. I still remember how grim the faces of the listeners became when the speaker said the truth. I do not remember the details but a quick summary is:

a) Yes, it is true that Somalia has the cheapest tele-communication in Africa, but a well keept secret is that the private somali companies buy something called "airwaves" from a satellite. The mad-max situation with no tax also makes the calls cheap but the good economist said the revenues lost from the taxes hurts the society in the long run. No taxes means indirectly not a penny to the "good will of society". Egypt and Ethiopia does have a more expensive rate but the tax revenues means more good will to the society and in the long run better national economy.

b) Local X-lands can jump and puff but the truth is that since 1991 no major infrastacural projects have been completed. Like it or not, all major roads, all docks were built by state. Bad infrastacture means lesser investments.

c) Energy- Somalia is the only nation in Africa that has a river but does not have a powerplant. Energy used is imported. Our neighbors allready have dams but are now planning more as the population grows, in a bigger since, while our neighbors have a central fixed planned economy aims, Somalia does not.

Qaxwada hala cabo, caraftiisana hala ursado (lets make coffe and smell it) lol.