Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Breaking Barricades: A Wedding Restores My Hope in Somali Cultural Festivity by Bashir Goth

<cite>
said:</cite>

^If Somali pastoralist culture contains many things that are contrary to Islam - these should be discarded rather than labelled or mislabelled. I'm not sure you have your priorities sorted out there. Goth is championing white wedding dresses, western suits and mixed dancing - this is not Somali culture. This is the mental colonialism that was talked about. It isn't any better than Somalis who would dress up in shalwar khameez and do Bollywood dances. Oddly enough - the only Somalis who loudly proclaim they are preserving Somali culture are the ones who hold these western style weddings. Just give it a rest.

It's really funny when you see people like Bashir Goth criticize the Khamiis and claim it has nothing to do with Somali culture (which I agree with), but yet they wear a suit-and-tie (which originated in Europe). Bashir Goth doesn't even see his own hypocrisy here.

All they're doing is substituting one type of "colonialism" with another type of "colonialism".

Khadafi   

Culture is not static, it's ever changing and we are today living in a globalized world, Bashir Goth is not a colonialist "lover" but he thinks that he is some kind of a cultural vanguard of what somali culture is and whats alien.

Thats wrong. His nostalgic view about the dress of somali women as wearing dirac instead of the jilbaab (black shroud) as he calls it is a bit wrong. Most somali women in the liberal west choose to wear it by their free choice BUT lets talk a about the MEN.

Look at the picture of the men. A guy is wearing a saudi arabian dress with the cigaal and everything. Why has he not mentioned him in his critique?. What has forced a guy to dress upp like Saudi prince when saudi-arabia is one of those countries who torture and "tatxiilo" somalis. Why take the dress of your opressor?. But I don't blame him, if the guy like the beduin najdi arabic clothing thats his choice.

Ditoore kennedy. Your very quick to label people as secularists (some are indeed) but be more vigilant towards people who use religion as tool to gain power and oppress people. I have said before. The most dangerous people are those "wadaadnimada iska dhig" and who know nothing about Islam and use it to kill other Muslims.

Bashir Goth has by the written a lot good articles defending Islam against vicious attacks from islamo-phobic racists in the west and from AL-QAEDA-ISIS takfirists. I respect him for that.

<cite>

It's really funny when you see people like Bashir Goth criticize the Khamiis and claim it has nothing to do with Somali culture (which I agree with), but yet they wear a suit-and-tie (which originated in Europe). Bashir Goth doesn't even see his own hypocrisy here.

All they're doing is substituting one type of "colonialism" with another type of "colonialism".

maybe we'll just be naked like the savages we are.

the suit and tie is an international way of dressing. the khamiis is not appropriate in all environments. i bet you wear a suit and tie. i can't imagine you ever wearing a khaamis. get real, abti.

whatever happened being a moderate. wearing what you want. why are people even discussing such trivial matters.

Khadafi, I have no problem with men wearing Khamiises or wearing suits-and-ties or even wearing Indian-style Sherwani dresses to Somali weddings. It really is up to you. But people like Bashir Goth complain about "the annihilation of Somali culture" when they see Somalis wearing a Khamiis, but they have no complaints when they see Somalis wearing a suit-and-tie (which has nothing to do with Somali culture) or an Indian Sherwani. It's very hypocritical of them.

I'm very vigilant against Takfeeri extremists, and I've spoken out against them numerous times on this forum saaxib. Extremism on both sides is reprehensible. But Bashir Goth is very extreme in his views, and he's a staunch secularist and this is very clear in his writings. He even argued that Islam is the cause of much of the ills which plague Somalia. And that is a blatant lie which he should not be allowed to get away with. Very poor scholarship on his part. He's nothing more than a freelance author, a regular guy just like you and me, who feels as if he is the "Guardian of Somalia" and he wants to super-impose his twisted viewpoints onto the rest of us.

Its funny people talking about western style & influences but minimize how our culture made obsolete by Arab influences . Marrying cousins!!..Yuk.

Western civilization has also contributed to much of what we have today in this world, to name but a few, radio,television,telephone,modern medicine,cars,planes,trains,petrol and gas technology,internet and almost everything else you can think of.

Both Arabs and Europeans enslaved and conquered others but the later subjugated everyone else including the once mighty Arabs, and that's how Arabs turned into a war between Muslims and Christians and both of their subjects like us fell into the trap.

Burahadeer, you know what! I like your idea!

The Russians of the 20th century also had many great scientists and engineers! Maybe we should adopt State Communism and Marxism as an ideology, you know....since the Russians invented so much stuff, the least we could do is adopt their twisted and broken ideology!

What do you say?!?

Your Secessionist State Army uses Kalashnikov rifles, which was invented by a Communist Russian in the 1940's, so in order to show your gratitude to him, you should turn Somaliland into a Communist State. It's only fair, right?

See how that works out for you :D

DR WHO :D Oh please, stop being smart and don't put your words into my mouth.!!!!

The Russians are white too, they might not be west but they same family and have the same intellect we lack, they had all these you mentioned before communism and after.But what's your point trying to defend Arabs to your last breath? you also advocate Arab culture preferred ova Somali.

To clarify what I was saying the west has greater influences then your beloved Arabs cos they more advanced technologically and colonized rest of the world, so its only natural more people adhere to their ways.

OR to the point they contributed to almost all the world make use of it today and in that regard most people will choose to identify with thm than a Bedwin.....will always wear suit ova Khamis cos it more professional and better and I see your Avatar.You really believe a Chinese or Japanese will take arab culture ova western.

and why you care if some accept western or Arab? you'r neither.

why secessionism stuff here...Practice what you preach and be civil.

<cite>

What do you say?!?

Your Secessionist State Army uses Kalashnikov rifles
, which was invented by a Communist Russian in the 1940's, so in order to show your gratitude to him, you should turn Somaliland into a Communist State. It's only fair, right?

See how that works out for you
:D

Only a twisted logic can put forth such a statement and specially when he's the one advocating Arab culture round the clock.You better ask that urslf.

You were the one fighting so hard that Arab script be introduced when we already had established latin alphabet and more ova lashed out at every one else to the point of madness.

Authubilaah, Burahadeer....

So you're telling me because the Russians are white people, and therefore being white means you have a "higher intellect", so therefore we Somalis should strive to adopt White European customs, dress, food, music, and behavior? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

And then you turn around and complain about Somali culture being "annihilated" when you see a few Somalis wearing khamiises?

Stop the game warya, you don't give a damn about Somali culture. You just wanna use that as a charade, so you can bash all Somalis who dress in a way which you dislike. But you're hypocritically substituting one form of colonialism in favor of another form of colonialism.

I'm not the hypocrite here, you are. I don't mind if you wear a suit-and-tie. I myself wear a suit-and-tie sometimes, as well as a Khamiis sometimes, or a macawiis sometimes. It's up to you.

Somalis have had HEAVY cultural influences from Arabs, Italians, Indians, Brits, and other foreign cultures and yet you wanna complain if a few Somalis wear a khamiis. Get your priorities straight.

<cite>

Only a twisted logic can put forth such a statement and specially when he's the one advocating Arab culture round the clock.You better ask that urslf.

You were the one fighting so hard that Arab script be introduced when we already had established latin alphabet and more ova lashed out at every one else to the point of madness.

I suggest you read that thread again. Nowhere did I "fight so hard" to replace the Somali alphabet with an Arabic script.

I just said it's an option worthy of consideration. That it might be a good idea. But again, you're putting words in my mouth.

I never in my life advocated Arabic culture on this forum. Again you're putting words in my mouth.

You're the one that's advocating Somalis imitate Europeans, and then you disgracefully justify it by saying "Oh it's because the Europeans are so technologically advanced"

Authubilah, get yourself together. According to your twisted logic, maybe we should adopt Ancient Persian customs, or Ancient Chinese customs, or Ancient Indian customs because they were all VERY advanced and very productive at one point in time.

People like Burahadeer weren't complaining about "The Death of Somali culture" in the 1970's......

When Somalis had an Atheist Marxist Regime governing our country. When our youth were speaking Italian better than they even knew Af-Somaali. When Siyaad Barre was killing thousands of nomads in Bari. When our dress, customs, and food were being influenced by Europeans. When we adopted a Latin Alphabet instead of our own unique Somali alphabet. When Somali youth were being sent to Italy or Russia and adopting their cultural practices.

But when they see a Somali 20 year old kid merely wearing a khamiis, they start crying and complaining about "The Death of Somali culture".

We all know what their real intentions are. Don't buy their fake outrage for a second. They don't give a sh** about Somali culture.

Their hypocrisy is unbelievable. It's almost unreal

<cite>@DoctorKenney said:</cite>

Authubilaah, Burahadeer....

So you're telling me because the Russians are white people, and therefore being white means you have a "higher intellect", so therefore we Somalis should strive to adopt White European customs, dress, food, music, and behavior? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

DID I SAY THAT...what happened to ur English buddy!!!!

THIS IS WHAT YOU SAID>

DoctorKenney

Nomad

The Russians of the 20th century also had many great scientists and engineers! Maybe we should adopt State Communism and Marxism as an ideology, you know….since the Russians invented so much stuff, the least we could do is adopt their twisted and broken ideology

AND THIS WHAT I SAID:::

The Russians are white too, they might not be west but they same family and have the same intellect we lack, they had all these you mentioned before communism and after.But what’s your point trying to defend Arabs to your last .

Mr great DR. the point here is to show you they have scientists and engineers before communism.Yes and Europeans proved to the world they have higher intelligence but no where did I say because of that we should follow.

Mr DR you looked strong person to me but now it looks like you turn chicken who just wana make accusations for the hell of it.

see ya later I'm in hurry.

You didn't even counter my points.

Burahadeer, if you want to sit in a cafe while speaking in a French accent, and wearing German-style clothing, while sipping on Italian wine, then by all means I'm not stopping you.

Just don't complain about "Somali culture balaayo" when you see a Somali man in a Khamiis and an Imamaad.

Because using your own standards, you're no better then he is.