Sign in to follow this  
Holac

My customers are white. I don’t think they want their coffee made by black peopl

Holac   

article-0-2095F6CF00000578-466_634x863.jpg

article-0-2095F7E200000578-26_634x411.jpg

A Brazilian-born Australian man has told how he was denied a job as a barista after a cafe owner told him his customers wouldn't want their 'coffee made by black people'.

Patrons of the Forbes and Burton café in Darlinghurst, inner city Sydney, were stunned to hear Nilson Dos Santos, an Australian citizen, had been turned down for the job because the owner 'only wanted locals'.

In incredible scenes, after being told by the cafe owner, who would only give his name as 'Steven', that he was not right for the job, Mr Dos Santos, 39, stood up and addressed the other customers at about 1.30pm on Sunday and told them why he had been turned down and asked if they would have a problem being served by a black man.

In a sign of solidarity, many walked out - and a staff member even quit on the spot.

There was also outrage among other customers who took to social media and urged others to boycott the cafe.

Steven, from Shanghai, China, who confirmed he was the owner, admitted to Daily Mail Australia that the fact Mr Dos Santos was black was the reason he didn't give him the job.

Angry Facebook users respond to the news of the racist treatment of Mr Dos Santos by leaving angry messages on Forbes & Burton Cafe's Facebook page

article-2727063-209AC5EE00000578-777_634x874.jpg

‘I generally see white people, maybe people from Thailand. They make good coffee,’ said Steven.

‘I don’t have race discrimination. And I am sorry but I was just being honest, in my opinion, I want to hire local people.’

When asked what ‘local’ means, Steven added: ‘Local means to stay here for a long time.’

Later , when asked if he was sorry for any offence caused, he replied: ' Yes, yes.'

Steven said that he is a ‘direct person' who told Mr Dos Santos the truth.

But a customer in the cafe at the time said he was appalled by what he had witnessed.

‘He (Nilson) didn’t get aggressive with the guy, which is what I would have done. But he stayed calm, he made the announcement,' the customer said.

'Any average person would have got so angry and rightfully so. But you can tell when speaking with Nilson that he is an incredibly nice guy.

‘The support and love that was there for Nilson was unanimous. Everyone was on his side. There was no on left in the coffee shop afterwards, everybody left. Not one person even just sat their quietly and said nothing. Everyone got up.'

Mr Dos Santos said was touched by the support given to him by the other patrons.

‘I am so lucky that there were beautiful people that showed their hearts and helped me,' he said.

article-0-2095F82600000578-391_634x825.jpg

'I would have found it so much harder on my own but people were coming up and saying "that’s not what we think, that’s not what people think, that man is wrong".

‘I was sitting down around the corner and a girl that had been working at the cafe came past and was upset. She said to me "I just quit. I’m so, so sorry. That was so unfair. I could not work for a man like that".

‘I wish I could say thank you to her. To stand up to her boss and leave was so brave. I hope she finds a new job soon, she was so lovely to me.’

Talking about his confrontation with Steven, he added: ‘Why did he have to abuse me? Why did he have to make me feel that way?’

‘He didn’t ask questions. Straight away he told me that there was no way I could be a barista. He didn’t want to ask about my experience. He just judged that straight away I am not good enough for him because I am black.

‘I had my own business in Surry Hills for five years. I never had someone say, "I don’t want your coffee because you’re black".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727063/Sydney-Cafe-owner-admits-told-Australian-citizen-job-black.html

Khayr   

<cite>
said:</cite>

this is PC gone mad. the man ought to employ whoever he wants. why politicise something so simple.

Waryaa,

Shiib deh oh buskaa xaagadhembey fariiso,

oromo yaaho :)

This guy got caught for being simply an honest racist. Most white people would have hypocritically

smiled in your face and told you that you

are just not comptent enough and do not meet their "barista" standards of pouring a coffee into a cup or reading the instructions on the coffee bags.

He got burnt for saying what was in his heart.

I would take that kind of racism over the white lies of the cadaan and their pseudo liberal racial equality. At least with one, there would be no blurred lines.

"I have more respect for a man who lets me know where he stands, even if he's wrong. Than the one who comes up like an angel and is nothing but a devil."

Malcolm X

Coofle   

This is morally wrong, as I have read from the article the man had enough experience as barista and from his name he might be from South american country (largest coffee producing region)....

Also this is prohibited under the equal opportunity employment law, I don't about Australia law system but many countries had laws erected to stop such reasoning of employment denial. The word 'local people' is ironic. he himself and Asian immigrant.

If he doesn't want black people he should have kept it to himself, just because he is honest about his opinion doesn't make it right. I don't know about your standards but according to mine, I believe its better to keep any wrong believes you hold to yourself for they might be one day changed and then you won't have the opportunity to change them...Hadal intuu afkaaga ku jiro ayuu amaanadaada yahay

<cite>
said:</cite>

"I have more respect for a man who lets me know where he stands, even if he's wrong. Than the one who comes up like an angel and is nothing but a devil."

Malcolm X

i actually agree with you Dr.Kenny. who would've thought, considering your jihadist sympathises. let the liberals continue to see the world through their rose-tinted glasses.

Holac   

The Australian government gets involved.

Fair Work Australia investigates the cafe owner who refused to give a barista a job because he is black

The Fair Work Ombudsman is investigating a Sydney cafe owner after he refused to hire a man because he was black.

Brazilian-born Australian Nilson Dos Santos, 39, is considering legal action after the owner of Forbes and Burton café in Darlinghurst told him he could not have a job because his customers wouldn't want their 'coffee made by black people'.

Owner Steven Hu was being interviewed by Fair Work Australia officers on Tuesday.

While an Ombudsman spokesman wouldn't comment further on the case as inquiries were ongoing, Daily Mail Australia understands Mr Hu has hired a lawyer after Fair Work and the Race Discrimination Commissioner said they would investigate.

The cafe was vandalised and covered with flour overnight but the rain had washed it away this morning, a waitress said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2728594/Fairwork-Australia-investigates-cafe-owner-refused-barista-job-black.html#ixzz3Au3sqc9H

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook