Sign in to follow this  
Mooge

Norwegian Oil Company to pull out of Somaliland due to insecurity

Tallaabo   

Anyone who believes Somaliland is a normal country is deluded. Somaliland is a place where tribalism is taken more seriously than religion. It is a place where the wife of a minister or a man with slightly more money than you can have you arrested without any questions asked. It is a place where the president claims credit for the investments made by charities. It is a place where the typical citizen is a clan fanatic like Saalax or a relilgious zealot like CiidanSultan. It is a place where people build for themselves large gated villas but then dump their rubbish in the empty plot of land next door. It is a place where the opposition leaders' election campaign is nothing more than a cry for clan loyalty. It is a place where if a citizen wanted to invest in a region other his clan stronghold, an ugly protest would greet him. It is a place where minority clans are treated as sub-humans. I think I should stop here or I will get depressed.

<cite>
said:</cite>

Anyone who believes Somaliland is a normal country is deluded. Somaliland is a place where tribalism is taken more seriously than religion. It is a place where the wife of a minister or a man with slightly more money than you can have you arrested without any questions asked. It is a place where the president claims credit for the investments made by charities. It is a place where the typical citizen is a clan fanatic like Saalax or a relilgious zealot like CiidanSultan. It is a place where people build for themselves large gated villas but then dump their rubbish in the empty plot of land next door. It is a place where the opposition leaders' election campaign is nothing more than a cry for clan loyalty. It is a place where if a citizen wanted to invest in a region other his clan stronghold, an ugly protest would greet him. It is a place where minority clans are treated as sub-humans. I think I should stop here or I will get depressed.

Exactly Tallaabo. There's "peace" in Somaliland because there exists a delicate balance of peace between the major clans of Somaliland. But it's not real peace, conflict could break out at any given moment. And they're not a real nation.

The same Somali disease exists in Hargeisa just as much as it exists in Mogadishu. It's just that in Hargeisa, this disease is not as obvious. Instead of focusing constantly on recognition, they should've just focused on development and trying to foster a sense of brotherhood amongst the people of Somaliland.

Nationhood can only be built from the ground up, not from the top down. We Somalis severely need a grass-roots based national program designed to create a real nation from the bottom-up. That's the only way we can do it.

^ clanism is a disease and yes Somaliland has aspects of it, but those two puntland, juba land and all the other lands in what was once Somalia. I think it unfair only to single out Somaliland.

Adnan I'm singling out Somaliland because I constantly hear Reer Waqooyi people, especially those from London, bragging about how awesome and progressive Somaliland is.

The way they describe it, you would think they're describing Finland or Switzerland!!

This clannism disease exists in Laascaanod and Garowe and Belwedweyne also. But nobody is denying that.

At least we admit we have problems. Somaliland is itself a divided nation. The first step to curing a disease is to admit you have it. Only then can you move forward.

<cite>

Damn Tallaabo, what's up with all the Self-deprecation today?

Even if things are not going too well these days in Somaliland, I believe the people of waqooyiga have a golden opportunity now to push aside all the failed politicians currently in charge who think good governance is pushing problems under the carpet, telling lies to the people and arresting anyone who disagrees with them by labeling them as anti-Somaliland.

I believe, it is never too late. We need brave men and women of Waqooyiga to stand up and change the status quo in Hargaysa.

Tallaabo   

<cite>

Damn Tallaabo, what's up with all the Self-deprecation today?

Even if things are not going too well these days in Somaliland, I believe the people of waqooyiga have a golden opportunity now to push aside all the failed politicians currently in charge who think good governance is pushing problems under the carpet, telling lies to the people and arresting anyone who disagrees with them by labeling them as anti-Somaliland.

I believe, it is never too late. We need brave men and women of Waqooyiga to stand up and change the status quo in Hargaysa.

It is neither self-depreciation nor the first time I described Somaliland the way it is, but you are right to say that failed politicians have become our curse. Their grip on power is so entrenched I don't think we will have any decent leader or government in the foreseeable future.

The people get the leaders they deserve.

When a people protest because a businessman from Reer Hebel wants to invest in their little tuulo, and the locals are angry and upset because this Somali businessman is not from their sub-clan, then we have a serious problem here.

The politicians are just a reflection of the deep corruption which exists within the people.

Tallaabo   

<cite>

The people get the leaders they deserve.

When a people protest because a businessman from Reer Hebel wants to invest in their little tuulo, and the locals are angry and upset because this Somali businessman is not from their sub-clan, then we have a serious problem here.

The politicians are just a reflection of the deep corruption which exists within the people.

That is exactly what Islam teaches but then strangely no one does anything about it. We only hear people complaining about the poor state of their affairs.

<cite>

That is exactly what Islam teaches but then strangely no one does anything about it. We only hear people complaining about the poor state of their affairs.

It's the same with Black Americans, when they take complete losers such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson as leaders, then you know Black Americans have failed as a community. When they ignore the thousands of black men who die every year due to gang violence, but they get outraged over Trayvon Martin's death in Florida, then you know they have a problem as a community.

It's the people. The people are corrupt. You can replace the leader but it'll be the same result if the people are rotten.

^

That Somaliland has in common with all other Somalis. But there's an added problem in the north, which is that if you said the criticisms, you and Tallaabo leveled against your home region( rightly, if I might add) inside Somaliland, I believe you would be both sent to Prison and labelled as anti-Somaliland by the politicians. And the sad thing will be, the public who mostly agree with your sentiment will not come to you aid.

Saaxiibyaal, let's face it. Riyaale and now Silaanyo were all minions of Mudane Afweyne, who-- God have mercy on him-- ran things a certain way.

Silaanyo's whole experience of governance was the rigidity of siyaad's Regime and his dictatorial rule. So when universal tv is banned in Somaliland, this is seen as normal. When journalist are arrested nilly willy, this is seen as normal. And finally, when Tillamook and other Somalis outside the place point these things out, the are called out as mischievous pirates out to deny Somaliland their international recognition...tsk tsk tsk!

Mooge   

lool@pirates. niyoow, somaliland is a mirage. a beacon of phantom dimlight supposedly blinking but can't be seen by anyone else other than its delusional clan-driven believers.

But I like sister Barwaaqo, the most secessionist of all. she is qunyarsocoto which is the most dangerous type of secessionists lol.

<cite>

pirates will always be pirates. stop dragging the good name of somaliland through the mud pirates. stop hating somaliland.

So because I'm making very valid criticisms against Somaliland (and Somali people as a whole) I'm suddenly a "hater" of Somaliland?

This is the type of nigger mentality that I'm talking about!

In fact, I can say that I "love" Somaliland more than you do. Because at least I'm honest enough to know that something is wrong, and that we really need a grassroots program to fix Somaliland from the bottoms-up.

If my brother is a drug-addict, I'm gonna tell him that what he's doing is self-destructive, and to fix himself up. I'm not a "hater" at all, YOU are the hater for allowing this corruption to continue.

Tillamook, the poisonous culture of Afweyne hasn't escaped Hargeisa at all. It exists from Borama, to Bosaso, to Galkacyo, to Kismayo. And this poisonous culture will take years to undo. Somalilanders need to take control over their own society and stop being so complacent with their politicians. Demand better, expect results. And we need to stop being so petty.