Sign in to follow this  
Mooge

Norwegian Oil Company to pull out of Somaliland due to insecurity

Mooge   

Puntlandsun.com Norwegian Oil and Gas Company, DNO that struck Production Sharing Agreement with Somaliland’s separatist administration in April 2012 is planning to pull out of the region due to security threats, Garowe Online reports.

According to multiple independent sources, the decision by high-ranking DNO officials came after armed clan militia ambushed exploration team near Sool region town of Hudur on Tuesday afternoon.

No fatalities were reported and the expatriates escaped unharmed, sources confirmed.

Garowe Online correspondent in Somaliland capital of Hargeisa says, the oil exploration team who were set to survey 12 square kilometers covering block SL18 returned to the capital to depart for their respective countries.

Somaliland government reportedly gave undisclosed amount of money to local clan elders but the clan militiamen were not pre-informed about the secret deal, GO learned

Officials within Somaliland government declined to talk about the pullout report, saying they were not authorized to comment on the sensitive news.

UN monitors warned of the consequence of Somaliland’s oil pursuit. The breakaway region set up oil protection unit and stepped up its involvement in the disputed regions of Sool and sanaag.

GAROWEONLINE

LOL, so you're telling me that the Somaliland Central Government bribed Sool clan elders with an "undisclosed amount of money" in order to gain their permission to allow foreign oil companies to drill in Sool, but the clan elders were too stupid to tell their own clan militia-men about this deal?

So then the clan militia-men were suspicious and decided to actually attack this foreign oil-exploration team, risking the deaths of these foreign workers? And as a result, Somaliland is losing out on hundreds of millions of dollars of potential oil revenue?

All because of their own incompetence and stupidity? The clan elders couldn't pick up the phone and tell their clansmen "Warya, there's an oil exploration team coming to our villages, so whatever you do, don't attack them."

Why is there even a clan militia in Somaliland? Isn't it a "functioning nation-state" as Xaaji Xunjuf likes to claim? What kind of functioning nation has clan militias?

You can't make this stuff up wallahi. :D This is like a movie.

I keep getting lectures from Xaaji Xunjuf and CidanSultan about how great Somaliland is, but stories like this just confirms to me that it's no different from the rest of Somalia.

If this doesn't shame you, then I don't know what will.

I am genuinely ashamed. And everyone on this forum should be ashamed by what took place in Sool this week.

And I've been saying this on the forum forever.....that the Somali clan elders have failed the Somali people and have betrayed our country. I have absolutely no respect for my own clan elders, who were responsible for this utter disaster in Sool.

Are you telling me they couldn't even protect a small team of Norwegian oil-experts? Is that how ridiculous we are as a people?

Too many lies! dream on.Some Somali elders working temporarily as community engagement for the company were there,they themselves were from the same community in the area.How the incident occurred was a shot heard from a distance,they were not even fired upon.The company is here.

BTW when puntland is coming for a fight?:D easier with the pen :D

Holac   

Mismanagement at its best. Somaliland should have worked with the local population and got their consent before exploring oil in that area.

Mooge   

walahi SNM boys shekadi wa ku xumatay. nowhere to drill, no where to go. siilanyo is falling apart niyoow.

clan militia told the norweigian colonialists to get the hell out. they run to Oslo very quickly. loool

<cite>
said:</cite>

walahi SNM boys shekadi wa ku xumatay. nowhere to drill, no where to go. siilanyo is falling apart niyoow.

clan militia told the norweigian colonialists to get the hell out. they run to Oslo very quickly. loool

Mooge,

When we acknowledge the existence of clan militias in Somaliland, then we reach the conclusion that Somaliland is no different than Somalia.

No real "nation-state" has clan militias. Clan militias mean a civil war can break out at any moment.

So why am I hearing lectures from SNM boys about how great "Somaliland" is?

Mooge   

lool@ DrKenney. I never took SNM boys bravado any serious. somaliland is the most clan driven piece of land in the somali republic. dadka qabyalad xun somali kuma noola walahi. the only thing that kept them together was fear of siyad bare tribe but now that the fear has been proven misplaced, they went back to their old ways of the president abusing other clans that are not his. loool.

Wallahi this is ridiculous.

One of the definitions of a "Government" is to have international legitimacy and a monopoly on the use of force over a defined land-area. In Somaliland, that monopoly doesn't exist, because of the clan militias.

In fact, PUNTLAND fulfills the criteria of a "nation-state" but Somaliland doesn't.

Isn't that ironic?

Adam   

^ its painful for you to known that even though you spend everyday writing hate-full and incorrect lies about The Republic of Somaliland and its democratic elected GOV. All of you effort can not stop the the progress of this nation. Nobody takes you or you little qabilist sidekick from Neyrobi serious. Buuqland pirates all talk no action . The only place a pirate deserves to be is in jail or hanged , criminals deserve no mercy.

Mooge   

you sound depressed confused and angry. looooooool. take it easy niyoow. the world is much more than a failed clan enclave. live happily with your caydh in europe and stop this somaliland phantom stuff. it is going to drive you crazy niyoow. relax. lool.

<cite>
said:</cite>

^ its painfull for you to known that eventhough you spend everyday writing hatefull and incorrect lies about The Republic of Somaliland and its democratic elected GOV all of you effort can not stop the the progress of this nation. Nobody takes you or you little qabilist sidekick from Neyrobi serious. Buuqland pirates all talk no action . The only place a pirate deserves to be is in jail or hanged , criminals deserve no mercy.

There's no qabiilism here warya, this is reality. In fact, my very own clan lives in that region, and my very own clan elders were the ones who made this deal with Siilanyo's government. So stop trying to accuse me of being "qabiilist" because you can't handle the truth.

Somaliland isn't a government. I've said it before, but one of the definitions of a government is that it must have a monopoly over the use of force. If Somaliland has clan militias, then it's disqualified from being a government. Because even though Somaliland has an "Army", it still has to contend with unaccountable clan militias and clan elders.

You want me to stroke your ego and claim that "Somaliland is great and it's this and that" when the reality says otherwise?

Just think about this:

A team of European scientists arrive in Somaliland, with the intention of doing oil exploration. The Europeans will bring their own scientists, engineers, and mechanical equipment to drill for the oil.

All you have to do--as a Somali--is to make sure the Europeans are safe. Make sure they aren't killed.

And you can't even do that. You can't even do the simple job of protecting them.

Wallahi we're absolutely ridiculous as a people.

This should be a wake up call for all of us.