Sign in to follow this  
Wigad

Lionel Mess

N.O.R.F   

For once I agree with A&T and Ngonge.

Messi is a very good player. Perhaps the best in the world right now but he isn't a 'great' player yet.

I prefer the more dynamic and more versatile Ronaldo.

Ibrahimovic is a waste of space. Saw him playing in the WCC in UAE in Dec 09. Never have I seen a worse 'professional' player.

Wigad   

Well i say his a great player, but i do agree with you on Ibrahimovic the guy is a total loser, barcelona made a really bad deal when they traded Eto.

Tuujiye   

^^^ Ibrahimovic is overated saaxiib..why do you think I was mad when they gave him more money than Eto?...

Ngonge, saaxiib aniga waxaanba kasoo horjeeda you puting Messi and Lampard in the same sentence..shiiiiidh!! the kid is only 22! who knew lampard when he was 22? he was another white kid in English field saaxiib....

I believe he Messi will reach a higher level and that just like Ronaldinho, he will take football another level...

Belle, Maradona, Zidane and Ronaldo (brazil) changed football everytime they came to the football world...and then Ronaldinho came and now Messi... one in few buu ka mid yahay ninkaan saaxiib...

Zidane was the best player at his time but when Zidane was 22, are you guys telling me he was good as he was at the end of career?

Messi is young and he now the best player in the world but not as great as Zidane yet however I do believe that this kid will be the greates at his time....

Wareer Badanaa!!!

^^^ The Question is Will he peak too soon like Ronaldinho . Dino is not even 30 and he passed it.

I Like Messi but I am not sure if he can win world cup by carrying his team like Zizzuo, Ronaldo, Maradona and Pele. These are players who carried their teams and won them world cups. can he do that? we will see this world cup!

Cheers

Abtigiis   

Wise words LoZ. I was thinking on the same line. In Tuujism, if you start bright, you end bright. No room for long injuries that can affect form, no other factors that can finish off a player before he reachs his top form.

N.O.R.F   

Anyone see Ronaldo's brace last night? I always thought he was overated as defences in the Prem are not great but he is doing it in La Liga as well.

NGONGE   

Rivaldo, Stoichkov, Ronaldo, Cruyff: were you watching?

Brilliant Lionel Messi’s single-handed demolition of Arsenal in the Nou Camp shows that he belongs among the legends of all time

Matt Dickinson

The Nou Camp hosted a football match last night, but this mighty stadium was simply a stage for one man to parade his genius.

The Hall of Fame at Barcelona is full of great names such as Cruyff, Stoichkov, Rivaldo and Ronaldo but very few have been fêted like Lionel Messi, whose name rolled down the steepling terraces as he walked off, almost bashfully, bouncing the match ball like a little kid.

Cristiano Ronaldo could score five goals for Real Madrid against Barcelona on Saturday and yet still face a forlorn battle to usurp Messi as World Player of the Year.

The debate may now be taken into other realms, such as where Messi stands in the all-time pantheon. Still below his compatriot, Diego Maradona, who was not only the maestro in successful teams; at Napoli and for Argentina, Maradona was the team.

Of recent greats, he sits below Zinédine Zidane, too, in that Messi does not aspire to be the conductor of his side, simply the dazzling virtuoso.

He can, as Arsène Wenger pointed out, move in and out of games; it is just that his interventions this season have been so often and so spectacular that you begin to run out of superlatives.

Four hat-tricks in 2010; 39 goals this season, and barely a duff one among them. There is something particularly joyful about seeing such a diminutive figure bestride a sport that, increasingly, we come to see dominated by power and athleticism.

Which leads us neatly on to José Mourinho. Now we have one genius against another; at least that’s how Mourinho may see it. The greatest footballer in the world against the man who fancies himself as the supreme tactician.

Barcelona will face Inter Milan in the Champions League semi-finals and one might already imagine the beauty-and-the-beast stereotypes given Mourinho’s willingness to do whatever it takes to stifle an opponent.

If that is a little unfair given the grace with which Wesley Sneijder unpicked Chelsea, nevertheless we can expect Inter to face Barcelona with the same demonic intensity that Mourinho inspired from his team at Stamford Bridge.

Having already knocked out Chelsea, the man they love to mock in Catalonia as the “translator” from his years here under Sir Bobby Robson will already be plotting. In his own mind, there is not a conundrum he cannot solve, but he already knows the scale of this task. Inter were beaten 2-0 by Barcelona in November in the group stage (the first game finished 0-0 in Milan), and that was without Messi and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

“We’re far from being Barça in terms of individual qualities and profile,” Mourinho said at the time, even if there has been improvement at Inter since.

Perhaps Mourinho will see flaws in a team that, however dominant, always gives chances to opponents. He may well detect that even Messi needs spells of rest in between his dazzling bursts. But he will also know only too well that Barcelona’s greatness stems not only from their individuals, such as Messi and the sublime Xavi Hernández. It lies in the collective.

To watch Pep Guardiola’s team pressing and hounding Arsenal last night was to watch a side who acknowledge the necessity of hard work.

The Nou Camp crowd may carry a sense of entitlement, whistling Arsenal for daring to put a foot in, but Guardiola fights to banish any complacency in his ranks. He continues to remind them that all the praise they receive for their beautiful game will count for little unless they write their names in the history books; as they may well do given the chance to become the first team to retain the European Cup since AC Milan 20 years ago.

Mourinho will have something to say about that; his team will certainly be more robust in defence than Arsenal. Some may even question whether Messi’s goals were diminished by Arsenal’s depleted defence last night, which might all be fair if Messi was not playing like this week after week.

His four goals had varying levels of skill, but none could remotely be called ordinary. He appeared to add the last, driving the ball through Manuel Almunia’s legs, just to prove that he could score at will.

In the absence of Ibrahimovic, he was playing centre forward and making a nonsense of all the talk of the need for a big man to bring presence to an attack. Just play it on the ground and give it to the little genius.

At only 22 it is mind-blowing to think what may still be to come from him, including at the World Cup if Maradona, his national coach, can only create a proper platform, which he has singularly failed to do so far.

There are still mountains for Messi to conquer and sustaining this level of play will be another significant test of his claims to greatness. But Messi has already left one mark for everyone lucky enough to be in the Nou Camp last night. The chance to say “I was there”. It was a privilege.

Awesome foursomes

Eusébio, Portugal 5 North Korea 3, World Cup, July 23, 1966

Portugal are inspired to recover from 3-0 down by Eusébio, who scores with four fierce shots, two of them penalties, and tees up the other goal.

Gary Lineker, Spain 2 England 4, friendly, Feb 18, 1987

Barcelona striker stuns Madrid crowd as England come from 1-0 down. Lineker is at his predatory best, but also plays a big part in the build-up to his hat-trick goal.

Andrey Arshavin, Liverpool 4 Arsenal 4, Barclays Premier League, April 21, 2009

The Russian’s final three goals come in the last quarter and his quartet is completed after a counter-attack that follows a Liverpool corner.

Words by Bill Edgar

Source

AYOUB   

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

^^^ The Question is
Will he peak too soon like Ronaldinho
. Dino is not even 30 and he passed it.

I Like Messi but I am not sure if he can win world cup by carrying his team like Zizzuo, Ronaldo, Maradona and Pele. These are players who carried their teams and won them world cups. can he do that? we will see this world cup!

Cheers

Ronaldinho too won the World Cup, Copa America, Champions league etc etc.

Zico & Co didn’t win the World Cup but it does not mean they were not great players.

One is a great player because one is.

Anyone who doubts that this young Argentine is not in league with the best of footballers in the past (Pele, Maradona, Zidane, etc) doesn't know football. The fella has all the making of a great footballer. However, there are other factors that determine the winning of trophies, which are sometimes beyond the player. That doesn't necessarily mean this particular is not one of the best in the game!

Wigad   

For those of you that cant watch El Classico like me because of work or not having cable.

you can watch it at espn 360

or as a replay at a later time. here

this is for US people only sorry uk fans

ps: u might have to make an account

AYOUB   

Barcelona-004.jpg

This doesn't really need a caption, does it. Photograph: Dani Pozo/AFP/Getty Images

Lionel-Messi-001.jpg

Lionel Messi passes Cristiano Ronaldo while celebrating his opening goal for Barcelona. Photograph: Jasper Juinen/Getty Images

Tuujiye   

Ayuub labada player maba la isku keeni karo... Messi Ayaa aad uga fiican.. your toalking about a legond and a one time hit kid lool.. Messi will be mention as one of the all time greatest players and Ronaldo will be mentioned like (van basten) lool kala saar nimankaan saaxiib...

But we will see how they both do in the world cup even thu I think Messi has the better teamates around him...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

AYOUB   

^ smile.gif Does he now?

Tuujiye

All I know is he deserved to win the footballer of 2008-2009 and 2009-2010.