Sign in to follow this  
Holac

Safferz, have you landed yet?

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

crook hebeshas they claim so many beautiful Somali songs as Ethiopian oldies,inserting few Amharic words here & there
:D

It is fusion of cultures. I think in the coming decades, the Somalis and Ethiopians will mix a lot and learn to live with and tolerate one another. Although many Ethiopians are Christian like most Kenyans, our very close ethnicities makes integration a lot easier.

Safferz   

Mooge, Harar is a very diverse city but the Harari people are a small ethnic group who are generally lighter in colour than the surrounding Somalis and Oromos, sort of like Reer Xamar in Mogadishu. But I don't think they're any more beautiful than others in the Horn, unless skin colour is an indicator of beauty.

<cite>

crook hebeshas they claim so many beautiful Somali songs as Ethiopian oldies,inserting few Amharic words here & there
:D

Waha leyabe is an old Somali song?

<cite>

It is fusion of cultures. I think in the coming decades, the Somalis and Ethiopians will mix a lot and learn to live with and tolerate one another. Although many Ethiopians are Christian like most Kenyans, our very close ethnicities makes integration a lot easier.

you are a brain-dead race mixer.

abti, wax isku fal.

Tallaabo   

<cite>

you are a brain-dead race mixer.

abti, wax isku fal.

Races will mix whether you like it or not. Some say the future of humanity is brown with no whites and no niggers :-D

Tallaabo why in the hell would you promote race-mixing with Ethiopians? Why would you even want to promote integration with a people who aren't even Muslim?

If you're not okay with your daughter or son adopting the Amharic lifestyle and even converting to their religion, then you're being hypocritical here.

All of this race-mixing sounds great on paper to you, but in reality it's a disaster. And deep down, you know it. We will lose our identity

<cite>

Was considering spending a week in addis but don't think so in light of u.s. recent travel warning specific to Somalis

Well, that never seems to stop Somalis from going to Somalia anyway. Almost 30+ and with travel advisory warnings, Somalis have been flocking to the motherland on the plane loads.

U can't let lil government warning stop you from enjoying what you do.

Safferz   

<cite>

Tallaabo why in the hell would you promote race-mixing with Ethiopians? Why would you even want to promote integration with a people who aren't even Muslim?

If you're not okay with your daughter or son adopting the Amharic lifestyle and even converting to their religion, then you're being hypocritical here.

All of this race-mixing sounds great on paper to you, but in reality it's a disaster. And deep down, you know it. We will lose our identity

lol this is bullshit, DK. The differences between ethnic groups in the Horn of Africa are simply linguistic. The Somali language is likely not even 1000 years old, having branched off from the same proto-Cushitic language other groups like Afar and Oromo also spoke before they too broke off and developed into distinct dialects and then different languages. And that language itself broke off from the larger Afro-Asiatic branch that we share with Semitic languages like Arabic and Amharic. So who were we 2000 years ago, when Somali, Oromo, Amhara and Tigray differentiations did not exist? Furthermore, what makes you think such mixing did not take place historically, with other groups being absorbed into the people we now call Somali? That's precisely how languages (and in turn, ethnicities and cultures) develop and spread, and we know that much of the region Somalis now inhabit belonged to others. Did they move? More likely is that as Somali became dominant, people adopted the Somali language and culture which spread over time.

Have you even been to Ethiopia? Here in Addis Ababa, you hear the adhaan five times a day in every part of the city. Ethiopia is as Muslim as anywhere else, don't be fooled by the narrative crafted by the historically ruling minority.

Safferz, Sure I can accept that the language 1000 years ago isn't the same as it is today. The same way how Olde English is nothing like the English of today. Languages evolve over time and very few stay stagnant. What's your point?

Who we were 2000 years ago isn't the same as who we are today. I know. And you can say that there were virtually no differences between Ethiopians and Somalis 2000 years ago, but that's irrelevant. The differences exist today, right now. Somalis aren't the same as Tigrays, and we aren't the same as Oromos or Amharics. Sure there are similarities, but that's about it. I'm sure you can say the same for Central European nations and some East Asian nations.

Ethiopia isn't "Muslim". It's a country with a significant Muslim minority, but it isn't Muslim at all. And one-third of the country being Muslim is a significant minority yes, but that doesn't qualify them as being a Muslim society. And I do not want to see Somalis inter-mixing with Ethiopians (unless they were Muslim-Ethiopians) and adopting their culture and lifestyle. I know examples of Somali men marrying Orthodox Tigray women and the result was an absolute disaster. I don't even need to get into the details

<cite>

Well, that never seems to stop Somalis from going to Somalia anyway. Almost 30+ and with travel advisory warnings, Somalis have been flocking to the motherland on the plane loads.

I've been to Somalia several times in pay few years. Somalis of any citizenship r being stopped, arrested, and detained for an extended period of time with out charge upon entering and exiting Ethiopia says recent us travel warning. Much different than Somalia

<cite>

I've been to Somalia several times in past few years. Somalis of any citizenship r being stopped, arrested, and detained for an extended period of time with out charge upon entering and exiting Ethiopia says recent us travel warning. Much different than Somalia

Safferz   

<cite>

Safferz, Sure I can accept that the language 1000 years ago isn't the same as it is today. The same way how Olde English is nothing like the English of today. Languages evolve over time and very few stay stagnant. What's your point?

Who we were 2000 years ago isn't the same as who we are today. I know. And you can say that there were virtually no differences between Ethiopians and Somalis 2000 years ago, but that's irrelevant. The differences exist today, right now. Somalis aren't the same as Tigrays, and we aren't the same as Oromos or Amharics. Sure there are similarities, but that's about it. I'm sure you can say the same for Central European nations and some East Asian nations.

Ethiopia isn't "Muslim". It's a country with a significant Muslim minority, but it isn't Muslim at all. And one-third of the country being Muslim is a significant minority yes, but that doesn't qualify them as being a Muslim society.
And I do not want to see Somalis inter-mixing with Ethiopians (unless they were Muslim-Ethiopians) and adopting their culture and lifestyle.
I know examples of Somali men marrying Orthodox Tigray women and the result was an absolute disaster. I don't even need to get into the details

My point is that your earlier post (as well as this one) is primordialist nonsense. It also shows a lack of awareness about Ethiopia itself, which is why I asked you if you've ever been here. There's nothing inherently Christian about Tigray culture and society, Amhara culture and society, Oromo culture and society, or any of the numerous ethnic groups found in Ethiopia. Culture and language are simply that, and there are numerous Muslims who are Amhara, Tigray, Agaw, etc. And they are hardly a minority.

Anyway, not really interested in continuing this debate with my limited internet time these days.

Khayr   

<cite>

lol this is bullshit, DK. The differences between ethnic groups in the Horn of Africa are simply linguistic. The Somali language is likely not even 1000 years old, having branched off from the same proto-Cushitic language other groups like Afar and Oromo also spoke before they too broke off and developed into distinct dialects and then different languages. And that language itself broke off from the larger Afro-Asiatic branch that we share with Semitic languages like Arabic and Amharic. So who were we 2000 years ago, when Somali, Oromo, Amhara and Tigray differentiations did not exist? Furthermore, what makes you think such mixing did not take place historically, with other groups being absorbed into the people we now call Somali? That's precisely how languages (and in turn, ethnicities and cultures) develop and spread, and we know that much of the region Somalis now inhabit belonged to others. Did they move? More likely is that as Somali became dominant, people adopted the Somali language and culture which spread over time.

Have you even been to Ethiopia? Here in Addis Ababa, you hear the adhaan five times a day in every part of the city. Ethiopia is as Muslim as anywhere else, don't be fooled by the narrative crafted by the historically ruling minority.

Who are the historically ruling minority?

Saff, I think DK's concern is along the line of cultural and religious preservation. We are a small breed and intermixing will only lead to some of the pointe DK raised.