Sign in to follow this  
Holac

Safferz, have you landed yet?

Mooge   

saffers, where are the pictures. i don't have good internet is not excuse. you have to send us some pictures while you are there too. lool.

Miyir   

Saf

I will pay money for this kind of travels guide! very detailed and useful, no one writes like this, you get all these vague advice's, enjoy the holiday and stay safe girl.

Holac   

<cite>
(and half-Somalis, lol) and Somali speakers

Saff, lol@half Somalis. Who are the Somalis marrying and mixing with? Are the Somali men marrying other women or is it the other way around?

Saffz,

have you had a chance to learn Af Amharic yet?

unless you speak the language of these notoriously suspicious people, your opinions are really worthless.

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Saff, lol@half Somalis. Who are the Somalis marrying and mixing with? Are the Somali men marrying other women or is it the other way around?

Harari and Oromo, which shouldn't be a surprise to see in cities like Harar and Dire Dawa where Somalis live alongside these other ethnic groups. I'm sure we've had intermarriage in those regions forever. You'll see both Somali men and women marrying out. I remember stopping to take a photo in Harar when a Harari man recognized me as a Somali and came over with his wife, and told me (in Somali) that his mom is Somali and gave me their number if I need help in the city or even a place to stay. Kind people :)

On a related note, I've learned that Ethiopians LOVE Somali women. Everyone who has learned I'm Somali has always remarked that Somali women are beautiful (betam konjo nachew) and said that we have a colour to our skin that you won't see among Ethiopians. A man today was comparing my colour to a fish but I didn't quite follow, lol. They also say that Somalis are kind, genuine people, and usually make a comment about our size (Somalis are much taller than most Ethiopians, and if you see a fat person in Addis, it is usually a Somali woman lol). I'm only 5'6", but that's enough to make me taller than most women and even men here in Addis.

Safferz   

<cite>

saffers, where are the pictures. i don't have good internet is not excuse. you have to send us some pictures while you are there too. lool.

lol that's not my only excuse, I've stopped carrying around my camera during my daily outings... there's a lot of theft in the areas I frequent, so I don't want to take the chance. I also don't find Addis as interesting to photograph as other places, now that I'm used to the place. The only pics I have are from outside Addis, so here are two from Mount Entoto:

Coffee at the top of Mount Entoto

10345758_10152349764073895_3422542310860

The view of Addis

10169172_10152352142958895_5496767272324

galbeedi   

Safferz, Have you been the old town of Harar. I heard they have some one thousand year old " Qur'aan Kitaabs" with an old calligraphy. Friend of mine told me they are designated as International heritage site.

By the way do not talk politics with local people and even in SOL. You are Canadian, but it could take months sometimes to free people from Ethiopia. JUst little concern.

good luck.

<cite>

Coffee at the top of Mount Entoto

10345758_10152349764073895_3422542310860

/>

this is voyeurism at this best walahi. it wasn't coffee down there on earth but it's all of a sudden ''a rainforest alliance fair trade ethical coffee brewed using organically inspired ingredients'' on top of a mountain, miyaa?

Tallaabo   

<cite>

this is voyeurism at this best walahi. it wasn't coffee down there on earth but it's all of a sudden ''a rainforest alliance fair trade ethical coffee brewed using organically inspired ingredients'' on top of a mountain, miyaa?

:-D

Safferz   

<cite>

Safferz, Have you been the old town of Harar. I heard they have some one thousand year old " Qur'aan Kitaabs" with an old calligraphy. Friend of mine told me they are designated as International heritage site.

By the way do not talk politics with local people and even in SOL. You are Canadian, but it could take months sometimes to free people from Ethiopia. JUst little concern.

good luck.

You are right, galbeedi. I am always vague about my research (not that I work on anything threatening, but I'd rather not get into discussions about the Somali region) and generally only tell people I'm here to learn Amharic and that I'm interested in the history of the Horn of Africa. I have been to Harar but haven't yet had the opportunity to see those artifacts, unfortunately.

<cite>

saffers that is a nice picture. is that pretty lady you or some old friend?

She's a local woman who offered coffee to me and the American missionary I randomly ran into up there. We had an interesting conversation.

Mooge   

saffers, good you are dining and tea-ing fine mountains out there. i heard Harar has beautiful girls. is that true that Harari girls are hot? can you post some pictures of harar.