Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Mixed gender Somali weddings

The very few mixed wedding I attended did have traditional dances. The women didn't have problems doing buranbur/jaandheer etc. The men joined the jaandheer aswell. If one is going for a mixed wedding I think it's beautiful to include our folklore dances. What might be difficult is to have the shaashaar or xeedhaha included.. Both of them takes time, especially if everyone is going to put the scarf on the womans head. Also are they not celebrating the lady becoming a woman, imagine doing that infront of all the guys, ackward isn't it? I don't know if its common for people to open the xeedho in public anymore though..

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>

saxansaxo

only buraanbur/jaandheer? no niiko?

This probably depends on where you're from, but niiko (especially in a mixed wedding) would be far too scandalous for my waqooyi relatives lol

Holac   

<cite>

So in the mixed weddings you've attended in VA, do the women still do their traditional dancing and all with the men present? Or do they skip that and go for a regular DJ/Somali singer?

Saffz, the ones I have been to were a mixture of DJ and Somali singers. Half of the women I normally see at the weddings wear Diracs and the rest use Western clothes. Men wear suits.

Safferz   

<cite>

Saffz, the ones I have been to were a mixture of DJ and Somali singers. Half of the women I normally see at the weddings wear Diracs and the rest use Western clothes. Men wear suits.

Good to know. I, I mean my uhh... friend... will probably go this route, with traditional dancing and buraanbur in the mix too.

Safferz   

Haven't decided that yet, but not for a year at least, mostly because I like living alone in my apartment too much right now. In fact I'm getting a bit ahead of myself with this topic, but planning makes me anxious so it's something I can't help thinking about.

Safferz   

<cite>

What a steal. I can't wait for the bariis.

Oh, catering sounds like another headache :( But my biggest anxiety of all is invitations/guests (our people just show up at weddings, even if they don't personally know the bride and groom) and estimating attendance numbers and planning accordingly. The ajnabi weddings I've been to are all so organized, and you are assigned a seat at a table during the reception. How would it work at a Somali wedding? Just let people sit wherever they want and hope you have enough seats?

Eloping sounds better by the minute.

Miyir   

<cite>

This probably depends on where you're from, but niiko (especially in a mixed wedding) would be far too scandalous for my waqooyi relatives lol

without NIIKO? You may as well save your money and head to an island!

invite Konfurians and play some niiko music and sit back, they won't let you down!