Sign in to follow this  
galbeedi

A journey to my tribal homeland.

Barwaaqo   

Salaan marka hore dhamaantiin. Galbeedi waxaan kugu dhiiri galin lahaa in aad sii wado taariikhda ilaa hada inta aad soo sheegtay ilaa 1981 iyo intii ka yara horaysay eed adigu garanayso waa sax, waxa kaliya ee aan ku darayaa in ay wax iska badeleen nolosha dadka dawladda u shaqeeya sida police-ka iyo macalimiinta taas oo ay keentay dhaqaalihii dawlada oo hoos u dhacay ka dhib dagaalkii 1977, balse waa runtaa oo reer Somaliland waxa ku furayd dirhamkii janaalayaasha, sterline-kii seamenka iyo ganacsigii xorta ahaa waxaanan, balse waxay taariikhdu is badeshay 1981.

galbeedi   

Awdal State is in the diaspora, people back home are Somaliland.

When it comes to Somaliland project and the view of the local people it is totally different of what we perceive in the diaspora. The professional class: doctors, NGO operators, government directors , and the civil servants, both in Borama and Hargeisa they fully support the Somaliland project. for them there is no other alternative. When chatting with them, what you hear " Hadaanu nahay reer Soomaliland, Somaliland this, Somaliland that", they could barely say Somalia or similar things. Among these groups, there were those who never had any experience in Somalia or spent their whole life in Somaliland. Among them is the vice President C/raxman Zaylici. When he finished high school, he attended a technical school in Hargeisa and joined his family's business as an engineer building houses. He never seen beyond Burco. The second group is the older ones who had bad experience in Somali bureaucracy in the late eighties, and are not willing to take a second chance. These older guys have settled and are not trying a new adventure. For these guys the Somaliland issue is settled. Also the news from the south is not encouraging.

The elders are also part of the Somaliland project. While they care about the well being and stability of Somalia, they see a distant thing that can only be discussed when the South of Somalia becomes stable. One of the exchanges I had one of the elders was astonishing. He said " adeer AAden Cadde Ma garan?, I said , " do you mean the former President of Somalia? he said, yes and proceeded with his story. Actually, these story was told more than once by other elders in Awdal. I do not know, if it is an urban legend or authentic story, but I will take on their word. He said that in 1962, the (Ahn) AAdan Cadde was touring the North West, and he stopped a small town called Boon (Famous for it's baked ribs, where young girls run beside the lorries going to Djibouti and say Loudly " solayga solayga), which lies between Borama and Zaylac. While discussing their conditions, the elders asked the president that they need water wells for them and for their livestock. As the story goes Addan Cadde said " do you guys know a town called Jawhar?', they said no we don't, "well, the president siad " it is just 90 km from Mogadishu and I have to dig the well their first, and then Hiiraan and so on, then we will dig one for you." then he told me son, " adeer Hargeisi intaas ay Jowhar u jirto ayey ii jirtaa". There were no debate here. Then I met the Sheekhul Beled of Borama, Sheekh C/laahi Sheekh Cali Jowhar. He gave me a big lesson about the history of Somaliland and how far they came, about the effort to pacify from Sheekh to Burco , to Hargeisa and Shirkii boorama. Finally, he said they are praying Allah to lift the suffering from the Somalia and its people, but your duties are to help Somaliland and it's progress. He concluded that the people are building their town and cities while the government is keeping the peace. Again there were debate , other than " sheekh waad Mahadsan tahay".

Another important factor is the Somaliland system is the glue that is holding everybody together. Educated people will tell you if the Somaliland system is removed, there will be disintegration. They say it may fragment in to four different regions. One In Awdal and selel, another from gabiley to Berbera, Togdheer and the east may form another one. They say this will be a recipe for disaster..

Among those who are hopeful of Somali unity in their lifetime , there was one major trend that I felt both in Hargeisa and Borama people were expecting some kind of change both from Somalia and president Siilanyo government who were elected just a year earlier. Unlike Rayaale, Siilaanyo authorized the engagement of Somalia both in the diplomatic arena and bilateral meetings. They were expecting these meetings may produce some kind of blueprint for the future. Those who had hopes of Somali unity were also skeptical about in improvement from the south. Some even told me that " adeer Koonfurtu kuna Dili mayso, kuna Noolayn mayso" . They said that in Somaliland people did their best during the last 20 years to keep the peace and hoped for Somalia to move forward for the next step.Unlike what you see in the diaspora and the internet People in Hargeisa and Borama are reasonable. When you talk to them in private or logical manner they will tell you that " Adeer midho Guntigaaga ku jira loma daadiyo kuwa geed Saaran, Waxay noqon lahaydba, Marka hore ha la helo Dal nabad ah iyo dad lala hadlo|. For those a peaceful south was the key for Somaliland-Somalia unity. So if you are somebody interested for the future unity of Somalia, you must concentrate, the security issue of the south. WE must not let pickering or incompetent people to drail this task. Again, the people are easy to talk and are open for a dialogue, Do not judge by the tough talk of the Diaspora. Since Qoslaaye came, the perception is changing and people are becoming hopeless. Rather than looking up to that big Somalia, they see small Somali states mushrooming all over the country with no regard for unity. Many are even sticking to Somaliland in the face of more disintegration of Somalia. Those who believe principally the idea of united Somali Republic are disillusioned and are not having any help from any quarters.

While every mature and people of authority seem to suggest that the issue of Somaliland was settled, the youth were totally different. The youth who represent the future are edgy and unhappy. Many are graduating from these universities and they aren't getting any prospect of jobs. Public sector jobs are rare and closed mostly for the next kin of the directors or the government ministers families. It is common that every ministry is dominated by certain subclan. major ministries like, the Interior, finance and foreign are closed for particular group of people. hundred of these youth are every where. Some are heading to Mogadishu for the scholarships that foreign governments provide, others are heading to shark invested seas. AS i was talking some of the youth to discourage about " Tahriib" , one of them said " adeer, every day we see guys who were mediocre in terms of education and other life achievements, coming back home, building the big house and marrying the best girl in the neighborhood" , " we can't sit here idly while are people taking risks to improve life". Among those Somaliland is a cage and a dream that may not fulfilled.. For them the idea of Somalia is an open opportunity, they believe there could be some good chances. Few go to hargeisa for job openings and come back empty. Now they want to try either in the sea or in other places regardless of the risk. When I came to Hargeisa I was talking to one of the senior bureaucrats , and when I raised the issue of youth unemployment , he said " unless we get some kind of mineral resources like oil or heavy investment from abroad , this issue will persist, and the leaders are well aware so there will be some movements toward engaging Somalia issue.

The business community is open for everything. They are loyal Somalilanders, but they do not object the idea of expanding their business opportunities. Dahabshiil Company is one of the most organized and highly successful business in Somaliland. Their office branches are visible everywhere. their employees are from the local communities where they operate. They are also involved almost all the local projects spearheaded by the communities they serve. While the business community is very active , they do not openly associate with politicians. If peace comes from the south, the business community will quickly trade and expand. They will be probably the ones who will bring communities together.

Usually public opinion follows the trend of the what is happening and now in 2014, people in general do not have high hopes for the current government in Somalia. The constant increase of foreign armies, especially from the neighboring countries gave people certain scepticism to be part of Unisom led Somalia.

Next Hargeisa and the political elite.

galbeedi   

Maadeey, do not worry. Daafeed dal wanaag sanaydahaye. I remember the tall camels drinking water around the city. It did shape my thinking very much.

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Awdal State is in the diaspora, people back home are Somaliland.

When it comes to Somaliland project and the view of the local people it is totally different of what we perceive in the diaspora. The professional class: doctors, NGO operators, government directors , and the civil servants, both in Borama and Hargeisa they fully support the Somaliland project. for them there is no other alternative. When chatting with them, what you hear " Hadaanu nahay reer Soomaliland, Somaliland this, Somaliland that", they could barely say Somalia or similar things. Among these groups, there were those who never had any experience in Somalia or spent their whole life in Somaliland. Among them is the vice President C/raxman Zaylici. When he finished high school, he attended a technical school in Hargeisa and joined his family's business as an engineer building houses. He never seen beyond Burco. The second group is the older ones who had bad experience in Somali bureaucracy in the late eighties, and are not willing to take a second chance. These older guys have settled and are not trying a new adventure. For these guys the Somaliland issue is settled. Also the news from the south is not encouraging.

The elders are also part of the Somaliland project. While they care about the well being and stability of Somalia, they see a distant thing that can only be discussed when the South of Somalia becomes stable. One of the exchanges I had one of the elders was astonishing. He said " adeer AAden Cadde Ma garan?, I said , " do you mean the former President of Somalia? he said, yes and proceeded with his story. Actually, these story was told more than once by other elders in Awdal. I do not know, if it is an urban legend or authentic story, but I will take on their word. He said that in 1962, the (Ahn) AAdan Cadde was touring the North West, and he stopped a small town called Boon (Famous for it's baked ribs, where young girls run beside the lorries going to Djibouti and say Loudly " solayga solayga), which lies between Borama and Zaylac. While discussing their conditions, the elders asked the president that they need water wells for them and for their livestock. As the story goes Addan Cadde said " do you guys know a town called Jawhar?', they said no we don't, "well, the president siad " it is just 90 km from Mogadishu and I have to dig the well their first, and then Hiiraan and so on, then we will dig one for you." then he told me son, " adeer Hargeisi intaas ay Jowhar u jirto ayey ii jirtaa". There were no debate here. Then I met the Sheekhul Beled of Borama, Sheekh C/laahi Sheekh Cali Jowhar. He gave me a big lesson about the history of Somaliland and how far they came, about the effort to pacify from Sheekh to Burco , to Hargeisa and Shirkii boorama. Finally, he said they are praying Allah to lift the suffering from the Somalia and its people, but your duties are to help Somaliland and it's progress. He concluded that the people are building their town and cities while the government is keeping the peace. Again there were debate , other than " sheekh waad Mahadsan tahay".

Another important factor is the Somaliland system is the glue that is holding everybody together. Educated people will tell you if the Somaliland system is removed, there will be disintegration. They say it may fragment in to four different regions. One In Awdal and selel, another from gabiley to Berbera, Togdheer and the east may form another one. They say this will be a recipe for disaster..

Among those who are hopeful of Somali unity in their lifetime , there was one major trend that I felt both in Hargeisa and Borama people were expecting some kind of change both from Somalia and president Siilanyo government who were elected just a year earlier. Unlike Rayaale, Siilaanyo authorized the engagement of Somalia both in the diplomatic arena and bilateral meetings. They were expecting these meetings may produce some kind of blueprint for the future. Those who had hopes of Somali unity were also skeptical about in improvement from the south. Some even told me that " adeer Koonfurtu kuna Dili mayso, kuna Noolayn mayso" . They said that in Somaliland people did their best during the last 20 years to keep the peace and hoped for Somalia to move forward for the next step.Unlike what you see in the diaspora and the internet People in Hargeisa and Borama are reasonable. When you talk to them in private or logical manner they will tell you that " Adeer midho Guntigaaga ku jira loma daadiyo kuwa geed Saaran, Waxay noqon lahaydba, Marka hore ha la helo Dal nabad ah iyo dad lala hadlo|. For those a peaceful south was the key for Somaliland-Somalia unity. So if you are somebody interested for the future unity of Somalia, you must concentrate, the security issue of the south. WE must not let pickering or incompetent people to drail this task. Again, the people are easy to talk and are open for a dialogue, Do not judge by the tough talk of the Diaspora. Since Qoslaaye came, the perception is changing and people are becoming hopeless. Rather than looking up to that big Somalia, they see small Somali states mushrooming all over the country with no regard for unity. Many are even sticking to Somaliland in the face of more disintegration of Somalia. Those who believe principally the idea of united Somali Republic are disillusioned and are not having any help from any quarters.

While every mature and people of authority seem to suggest that the issue of Somaliland was settled, the youth were totally different. The youth who represent the future are edgy and unhappy. Many are graduating from these universities and they aren't getting any prospect of jobs. Public sector jobs are rare and closed mostly for the next kin of the directors or the government ministers families. It is common that every ministry is dominated by certain subclan. major ministries like, the Interior, finance and foreign are closed for particular group of people. hundred of these youth are every where. Some are heading to Mogadishu for the scholarships that foreign governments provide, others are heading to shark invested seas. AS i was talking some of the youth to discourage about " Tahriib" , one of them said " adeer, every day we see guys who were mediocre in terms of education and other life achievements, coming back home, building the big house and marrying the best girl in the neighborhood" , " we can't sit here idly while are people taking risks to improve life". Among those Somaliland is a cage and a dream that may not fulfilled.. For them the idea of Somalia is an open opportunity, they believe there could be some good chances. Few go to hargeisa for job openings and come back empty. Now they want to try either in the sea or in other places regardless of the risk. When I came to Hargeisa I was talking to one of the senior bureaucrats , and when I raised the issue of youth unemployment , he said " unless we get some kind of mineral resources like oil or heavy investment from abroad , this issue will persist, and the leaders are well aware so there will be some movements toward engaging Somalia issue.

The business community is open for everything. They are loyal Somalilanders, but they do not object the idea of expanding their business opportunities. Dahabshiil Company is one of the most organized and highly successful business in Somaliland. Their office branches are visible everywhere. their employees are from the local communities where they operate. They are also involved almost all the local projects spearheaded by the communities they serve. While the business community is very active , they do not openly associate with politicians. If peace comes from the south, the business community will quickly trade and expand. They will be probably the ones who will bring communities together.

Usually public opinion follows the trend of the what is happening and now in 2014, people in general do not have high hopes for the current government in Somalia. The constant increase of foreign armies, especially from the neighboring countries gave people certain scepticism to be part of Unisom led Somalia.

Next Hargeisa and the political elite.

This one is an accurate description of the current situation generally in Somaliland and particularly in Awdal and Selal. I blame the government for their lack of action and knowhow when it comes to managing the economy.

galbeedi   

There was a Somali jurist by the name Ina Sanweyne. The next story, I am about to tell may not diminish his stature as a great Somali " Garyaqaan", but it shows how did he got there first. In his time, a young Somali groom slapped in the face his mother in law. Since this incident is unheard of in the Somali culture of that ere to harm one's mother in law, it was a great scandal. Ina Sanweyne who never arbitrated an=y disagreement or a case before, decided to be the one who will judge the case. Before he proceeded, he requested that the case must be postponed and during the spring when all migrants and others congregate at this famous well where people and beat meets.

His intention was to wait for a big audience and to publicize the case as much as possible. When the spring came, the whole community gathered around the well. Already a huge publicity proceeded. Everyone wanted to be present and hear the case that involved the man who slapped his mother in law.

Ina Sanweyne proceeded, by talking how it is outrageous in our culture for mother in law to be even seen in the presence of the groom. He said" in our tradition, for the mother in law to see even the glimpse of the groom, they should hide behind a tree let alone come face to face with him". He then instructed them, " waar bal gacantiina fidiya", they did, "Bal hadaba islaanta kuu soo gaadhay intaa, xaalkeedu waamaxay". he concluded that the Mother broke the law by getting so close. By the way the accident happen while the guy was beating the bride and the mother in law tried to intervene.

Finally, he judged for the groom and absolved of him of any " xaal" or damages. The father of the groom who was present told Ina Sanweyne " waar ma hal baan ku Siiyaa, mise hal baan kuu idhaahdaa". Which means , do you want me to give you a she camel or would you like for me to say for you one Ward. Ina sanweyne said " hal Iidheh". Whenever there is a case or dispute, this man will rise and say " waar garta Ina Sanweyne ha loo geeyo", getting him free publicity. As you can see, not only Ina Sanweyne judged against the victim, who was slapped, in this case the mother in law, but also got big publicity by doing this injustice. Here in the west we call that double whammy. The moral of the story is, some of you in this forum, like Tallabo, will like in " looyidhaahdo" mida ay rabaan, Being loud doesn't mean you are correct. You may like some of the narratives, others will infuriate you, while some may amuse you. Otherwise, it won't be interesting.

galbeedi   

Well it was after 23 years of absence. Every encounter and meeting was special. The truth is, I was also taking some notes since The trip was a fact finding mission.

<cite>
said:</cite>

Well it was after 23 years of absence. Every encounter and meeting was special. The truth is, I was also taking some notes since The trip was a fact finding mission.

can you provide documentary evidence of these 'notes'?

galbeedi   

Hargeisa, the land of the free, unless you write news papers.

In Hargeisa, whether you resident, visitor or happen be to a Somali, in Hargeisa you will feel the freedom. There were no Al-shabaab threat of terrorism and bombing, there were no fear of the state security interfering your life, unless you involve in the media, and finally there were no threat of being kidnapped by ethiopian agents. Unlike what the internet extremists project, this place is as Somali as they come. This is the land of the Somalis. By nature freedom of expression is cherished very much. One of the biggest complaint people have is the state trying to muzzle the media. Talk and talk is part of the culture, and the government do not understand that simple formula." waar afka hana qaban, waxaasi waa waxaan ka soo dagaalanee" is one statements you hear. Almost every month some paper editor is arrested or his equipment confiscated. The ruling class is paranoid. The city has grown a lot. much bigger than what it was before the war. In fact " Naasahablood" mountain which was literally out of Hargeisa is now becoming a suburban of the city. One of my sisters live probably a kilometer or more from the mountain. Each district has it's own market. Business is good. Traffic jam is growing and thousand of cars fill the streets of Hargeisa. I will talk about life, liberty, trade and other aspects of Hargeisa, but first let us meet the political class ( from Awdal) in Hargeisa.

The political class.

First we had an audience with the vice president of Somaliland C/raxman C/laahi Zaylici. We had few exchanges about politics , economy and the general outlook of Somaliland. In my group we were people of different political stripes. Some were Somaliweyn adherents, others were Somaliland believers, while some were open minded about the whole issues. We asked him about the development issues, and he said " we do not want to promise things like the former regime , but if we say will do some thing we will do it" . He then went on to talk about the issue of Somaliland and the Awdal Diaspora. He said " if you ask the Mogadishu community(Hag), about Somalia, the first thing they will say is " caasimada Somalia waa Muqdisho, dawladuna halkaa waa in ay tagtaa, regardless of the safety situation; If you ask the "D" community about Somalia they will say " midnimada Soomaaliyeed waa Muqadas"; and finally if you talk to the " Duriyada" , they will say Somaliland waa Muqadas". Finally he looked at us and said " haddad tihiin Qurba Joogii reer Awdal waa in aad leedihiin meel biyo kama dhacaana." he was probably insinuating that we should make our our mind on the issues, but, the fact was, he was urging us to join the bandwagon of Somaliland and stick with it. as one of the Somali weyn guys present , I did not debate but listen. I had to be an honorable guest who should listen and learn. He knew some of the guys, and after the early serious talk, they started exchanging normal conversation.

As we talked and the atmosphere seem relaxed, I decided to ask that nagging question which was in my mind. Both in Hargeisa and Borama there were rumors about the health of the President Ahmed Siilaanyo. I said to him, " how is the health of the president?, is he have serious issue? and God forbid if things get worse, are you prepared to lead?". He felt uncomfortable by my inquiry , but firmly Said " Subxaana Allah, Ilaahay naguma keno, AlxamduLilaah, the president is doing very well and healthy. Some of you will say " waar kuwani ma geerida ayey sugayaan" , but it was a fair question. He encouraged us to come back and invest what ever resource or knowledge we have. I did not had the opportunity to meet President Siilaanyo, but one of my friends did . He said, his face didn't had any expressions and seem tired. The fact is, unless a certified medical doctor declares him healthy, this question will remain always. Also, the actions of his aides indicate there something missing. " waxba is qaban la"

Then we met some of the members of the Parliament from Awdal. They were as hard as anyone you can meet when it comes to the issue of Somaliland. For these guys, there is nothing other than Somaliland. They immediately started to criticize us by not contributing enough to the economic growth and investment in our region. One of them said " waar dhulka waxa min Burco ilaa Boorama Dhisanaya waa dadka ee maxaad hayado iyo waxuun u keeni laadihiin" another one said " G' reer awdal way Guuraane ma dhoofaan" . he said very few of us came back home after spending time in the diaspora. Another member, who is probably one of the youngest member of the Somaliland parliament, by the name Ahmed Yasiin Sheek Cali, boosted that " We are integral part of Somaliland, and kept talking about the usual " Somaliland anagaa Dhalay " and added, "we will decide who becomes the president , we can affect change and in the next election, we may even elect one or two guys in the Hargeisa city council". Finally, Some suggested that less than five percent of us comes back permanently. In contrast among the Duriyada, large number of the diaspora have completely settled back in Hargeisa and other places. Any way in terms of Somaliland, these guys were even talking about recognition and total separation. When I tried to raise with one of them about the youth unemployment, and the lack of government contribution in the region, he jumped and said " Adeer meeshan yar Hadii la aqoonsado, Abudabay baynu Noqon oo waynu dhargi , inagaa shaqo la inoo soo doonan". Well, I have to pass the Iqaamada uu bixin doono" . I assumed it was a Typical politician talking.

While these members of parliament from Awdal were hard liners on the issue of Somaliland, they will not be the major obstacle for Somaliland to unite with Somalia. First, the power of Somaliland is now concentrated in the hands of very few well connected people, second Ahmed Siilaanyo being astute politician and the last high profile politician both in Somaliland and Somalia, if he decides to embark the The UNITY issue, he knows that he will not be confronted by the Awdal members of parliament, but a vocal group who happen to be former SNM veterans. Do not worry about the sultans or tribal chiefs, they could be brought in a room, then, the government will explain the reasons it decided to make the move.

The SNM veterans are well respected in Somaliland especially among the " beesha dhexe" . In a recent encounter with Ahmed Samatar , Siilaanyo said " Taking a gun and waging war is much easier than running a government". Well, the SNM folks had bad experience running a government in Somaliland. Soon after the liberation, a quarrel which later became a civil war started immediately. There were accounts that even the first president (Ahn) C/raxman Tuur was stopped at gunpoint and forced to walk from his car. Having said that , Sheekh C/laahi told me that one of the biggest and most successful thing the movement did was by giving back the power and the decision to choose another government after their mandate of two years were finished. That was the opportunity to elect President Cigaal (Ahn) in Borama. Which probably made them different than the other movement like the USC.

yet they are still not ready to lead. If you watch the news in Hargeisa, you will not miss their rant by threatening people in the media. Even Cigaal fought a bloody war against them. Before Cigaal cleverly stabilized Somaliland, tribal militia were holding the airport until mid nineties. even Faisal Waraabe said, without Cigaal we would have warlords ruming the land. We all realize that Siilaanyo didn't spent all these years in the wilderness just to debate with SNM and rule between Hargeisa, Borama and Burco, while he could be The Somali tiger in the horn with big the stick. We will discuss Silaanyo in the next segment.,,,,

Siilaanyo knows in order to have any chance of peaceful integration of Somalia and Somaliland, he must eliminate the influence of the former members of the movement. Ahn, former president Cigaal eliminated almost the SNM from the power in the nineties. While they were part of his administration in his first term, he decided to neutralize them in order to move forward. To do this, he started from the top. Just before the Second Somaliland Conference, which elected Cigaal as a president for the second term, he called a couple Awdal elders and said, " Adeer ninkaan maad i dhaafisaan Lama Shaqayn Karayee, ood Nin kale Maad ii Keentaan". Cigaal was referring to his vice president, C/raxman Aw cali Faarah, one of the few SNM commanders who hails from Awdal. C/raxman Tolwaa, as he is called, gave Cigaal hard time by making decisions without the president while aligning himself with movement. Few weeks before the conference, the Borama elders came back and the President asked " Adeer yaad ii Wadaan ", they said " Mudane Madaxweyne, Caano madaadshe aan afka juuq ka odhan ayaan kuu Wadnaa". By that, they introduced the former Somali Intelligence service, Colonel Daahir Rayaale Kaahin. The rest is history. after that coup, Cigaal proceeded to enact his reforms and agendas after . Tough guy " jabhads", are always hard to deal. When Ahn, C/laahi Yusuf became president in 2004, he appointed prime Minister Cali Mohamed Geedi. Some of my Hag friends, kept complaining About about C/laahi Yusuf and how he was trying to take revenge from them and so on. I said, didn't one of your guy is the head of the government as a prime minister, why are you pretending like you guys are outsiders from the power?. He said " Xageed Ku Aragtay Nin Jabhad Ah iyo Nin Qalin Wata oo La isku daray? waar ninku qolka markay galeenba wuu bireeyey". They said " we need another Jabhad like him to deal with ."

Siilaanyo like Cigaal already sidelined most of them from positions of influence. They are less than 5% of the cabinet , but they are still load by forming pressure group and other councils. They have every right to pressure Siilaanyo in the management of the state but on the issue of Somali Unity they will not be reasonable. One of them Mohamed Hashi Cilmi, objected in 2005, when the world bank offered some development money while incorporating through Somalia or under Somalia name. He said people paid high price to be associated with that name. Also, civic elections expose how much power one is holding or pretending to command. Many of these guys couldn't win direct elections among the public. Faisal and the opposition are reasonable people. Faysal Waraabe want honest discussion on the issue of Somalia and he will be reasonable. The move is already started. A third of the cabinet is now from the former old guard of the UDUB party. They may be corrupt but they are pragmatic and can get along with the leader.

among those sidelined are :

!- Mohamed Hashi

2-C/raxman aw cali

3- Dhagaweyne

4-Hassan Ciise Jamac

5-hassan guure

6-Cali guray

7-Mohamed Gaboose

8-Boobe yusuf Duale

9-C/raxman C/qadir

10-Mr. Dixood

12-general Tanni

and other law level directors.

At the same time there are few who do not hold offices , but are party members.

1- Muuse Biixi

2-Mohamed Kahin

3-Jaamac Shabeel

These are nominally leaders of Kulmiye party. They will be eliminated in due course, after Siilaanyo wins the next election. If the opposition do not come together and form one single front , he could win it easily. To understand the future, you must learn the past. On that note, we have to talk about the the big elephant in the room, Mr. Ahmed Siilaanyo.

Ahmed Siilaanyo, next...... since most of you voted to continue both the past and present we will do just that..

<cite>@galbeedi said:</cite>

Faisal and the opposition are reasonable people. Faysal Waraabe want honest discussion on the issue of Somalia and he will be reasonable.

and that's why you wana get rid off Silanyo!

Whole editorial is a piece of dishonest tirade,revisionism of history and master piece for Somaliland haters and union guys.It's also meant to create a wedge between somalilanders in him(poster) acting aligned with opposition when sinister motive is larger,the dissolution of SL.Being critical of Silanyo is smoke screen to win the hearts of the opposition while he himself working for larger scheme.He will be critical same way of anyone in power working toward the existence of Somaliland.Silanyo or any otha administration had or will have their shortcomings or mistakes and these be weighed in the ballot box by the public.If you dig much worse things accused of earlier admis..some true, some not.The wider population get smarter thru the years & very skeptical on anything written or said specially from certain known quarters, and being for the union cause will erase any doubt about your insincerity.

galbeedi   

Buraha, what took you so long?, any way I was expecting you to come from the woodwork. we all have an agenda, but do not at least misrepresent this particular sentence. What I was referring was that, unlike the SNM guys, the opposition could be discussed on the issue of Somalia. I did not say the opposition is more reasonable than Siilaanyo. Let us make that.

Galbeedi you are making the same mistake as the kooonfurians do ,i thought as a man from Somaliland you know the difference between the public even , if Siilaanyo loved to be part of xamar, he cannot sell it to the people SNM elites were the closest unionists he even wrote a powersharing formula between SL and Somalia in 1990. But the poeple were fed up and said no more sharing a nation with Somalia. And its to late now, to reverse any of that 23 years we the old generation might remember an old Somali republic , but the youth have no clue of this its not the SL elites who decide its the people. In Somalia its their elites and their African union troop overlords who decide. in Somaliland its the people who want this independence cost what cost.

Even the Awdal MP as you say are in this,, they might want more representation and support for their regions how ever they are committed to the republic

Burahadheer Galbeedi is entitled to his opinion and let him share with us what he experianced in Somaliland.. Its good to see other peoples perspectives he is one man and a citizen of SL and every SL citizen , has one vote, in Somaliland its all about one man one vote