Sign in to follow this  
galbeedi

A journey to my tribal homeland.

<cite>
said:</cite>

I mean what level of mental slavery makes you believe, to paraphrase:
We in the West work bloody hard for our cars, 100 inch TVs and all the other unnecessary shyt we hoard, while the immoral Somalis back home loot and rape to get anywhere.

D-

lol.

that's really offensive.

usheeg African isnt all bad.

galbeedi   

Look I never put down the businessman who made his money. Whether he is Dahabshiil or Telesome or any other Djibouti businessman, I have no beef with them. What bugs me is a guy who becomes filthy rich by being in the government. What I meant is by pursuing legitimate means and honest living, I resent them. You remember the saying that " hebel meel fiican oo dhacdhac leh ayuu joogaa oo guri fiican buu dhistay" that statement is praising the crook.

gooni, maxaad tiri duuliyaha ha fiirin ee meesha daran ee uu u socdo eeg. Saaxiibadaa makugu raacsan yihiin in meel daran uu u socdo.

galbeedi   

Just after half an hour in the air we landed Hargeisa. While Djibouti is a land inhabited by Somalis and others, it couldn't reflect the original Somali culture. Because of the french influence and the presence of Caffar, Arabs , Ethiopians and other cultures, some how wasn't authentic. If you really want to see the real Somali culture, you must go to the heartland. Two places where you may find is Gaalkacayo , in central Somalia and Hargeisa. While the old Somali traits of " Gabay Iyo Geesinimo" is fading in the modern times, you will not miss the other ones like : loud, pushy, arrogant, yet proud and generous. By touching down Hargeisa I felt coming home for a real. A government minister and other dignitaries welcomed us at the airport. In fact we proceeded to the VIP lounge of the airport. They took our passports and we paid the entrance visa fee. I wanted to go to the line myself, but they insisted to do it for us. It was a nice gesture , but I never liked it. I wanted to be with people. At the front gate, where our car parked, I saw the minister of aviation Mohamed Hashi. It was Friday and he was wearing " go', shaala iyo macaws" . He probably came to check what was going on.

In Hargeisa , after long absence in the diaspora, the first thing you notice is the crude Somali culture. Load, pushy, arrogant , yet proud and generous. It is also very easy to converse and chat with people. We reached one of the hotels in west side of the city. Since there were not any jet lag we started intermingling with people. For me, it was very nostalgic, and home coming, especially when you have family and friend in both corners of the city. Regardless of what the political situation or the the allocations of power may cause some Awdalites to complain, I had the sense of feeling that we are integral part of the Somaliland project. I wasn't able to see any family members that day, other than converse with telephone. We called the night off and went to bed. THe Muadin , in the mosque next door , started the Fajar Edaan around three in the morning. I thought the first Daakiraad ( call for wake up) used to start around four, then the final call before the prayer. This one seemed too early and non stop from three to Fajar prayer. I thought the Muadin was probably sleeping all day and he doesn't mind keeping others awake. It has been long time since I heard Fajar EEdaan, so I may be mistaken about early call . We woke up early and prepared to leave. Hargeisa , like Addis is up early and on the move. The transit buses are already filling the roads. Small tea houses are everywhere and people are gathering around it.

I came back for Hargeisa after spending ten days in Awdal region, but first, we left for Borama first thing in the morning. We did stop about an hour in Gabiley and had some refreshments. In my eyes Gabiley seemed to be shrank little bit from the days of eighties. Any way, we reached Borama by noon. If you were a former resident of the city before the collapse of the Somali state, there is one thing that you will immediately notice. if you walk around , You will notice that the last time there was a government in this city was in 1991. In Ay Dawladi Meeshaan Ugu dambaysay 1991 Ayaad Ogaanaysa. Within the original boundaries of the city, one or two more cities are built. Every park, field or playground are made way for houses. Major streets crossing throughout the city are literally blocked. I am not talking about people making the streets narrow by setting up houses. I am talking about people setting their shops, homes and businesses in the middle of the street. Bal ka waran gurigaaga hortiisa oo wadadii maraysay qof suuq ka samaysto. Every stands were transit trucks or buses to Djibouti and Hargeisa used to wait for passengers are occupied. Except one or two, every major road in the city is totally blocked. Park ranger areas, Beerta xoriyada were kids use to play are occupied. When I asked people how could this happen?, they said every mayor that came sold these public places and parks , and never even bathered to clear the streets from squateres. I Remember Allah ha u naxariistee, C/laahi yusuf's during his reign in Puntland he bulldozed squatters with armored carriers to clear streets. THe mayor does nothing other than just sell public land. The issue of mayors selling public land and the disputes it creates are familiar vevey where in Somaliland. Another major issue is, when you go in the outskirt of the city , just like the old time, the so called " cashuur qaade" is waiting the poor lady who brought A gallon or two milk to market. these are among the poorest of rural people who should be left alone. The shop owner or the restaurant may pay some money by end of the year, but these people are targeted.

A day or so after we met the mayor. We booked for 9:00am. we kept waiting and finally he showed up around 10:30am. A two dozen people are waiting for grievances about land disputes and other issues. He told us to sit, watch and learn. Wax baanu naqaanaa baad tidhahdiin sow ma ahan, daawada sida aan wax u kala dabarno" We said go ahead by all means. Hopeless people cried for waiting a judgment for long time about their "jago' and other residential boundary issues. He dismissed all either by false promise, or instructing a uniformed police to look the issue , and by noon he was out. There are no, city manager, road maintenance, garbage collection department or any thing that works without the mayor. All they do is sell the land whether it is a street or park and pocket the proceeds. Welcome to the 21st century mayors of Somaliland.

After seeing the incompetent and corrupt mayor ( by the way he wasn't the only mayor who is responsible for this mess), the next day , we met the Governor. The Governor was a former felon who was accused of a murder. Annalena Tonelli was an Italian activist and lawyer who set up hospitals in east Africa foe over thirty years. In the nineties, she established a hospital for Tuberculosis, Aids and other diseases in Borama. Her family and friends in Italy helped her finance the hospital by contributing $20.000 a month. She was one of the most beloved volunteer to work in the region. In October 2003 she was assassinated inside the hospital. Four men were arrested for her murder. The Governor was among those accused of the crime. he was arrested, and He spent many years in Madhera jail, but was finally released after some of the witnesses could not come forward. After Siilaanyo become president he appointed him the Governor of Awdal. In fact soon after Siilaanyo took over as a president he appointed to public office for every one that had any beef with Rayaale. He appointed Mohamed Hashi and Gaboose , to guys arrested by Rayaale for creating illegal forth party, minister of finance and interior respectively. He appointed minister former unemployed guy, by the name of Ina Geeljire, who owned Mijilis in Ottawa, Canada and wrote " afaray" every week to insult rayaale. Any way, finally he fired all of those who attacked rayaale and replaced with them with Rayaale loyalists. The biggest surprise among these government representatives in Awdal were either corrupt, incompetent, or out right criminals. some times it seems the worst among the people are joining or becoming part of the government. The most competent hard working and men of honor were either in the private sector, involved in the NGO's or unemployed.

A system that attracts the worst among society will not survive too long or will ebede growth. will leave there, next...........

gooni   

<cite>

By the way it never meant to be academic.

Waa qoraalkayga waxaan ula jeedo jeedo, your writing is ok intaan ka fahmay.

galbeedi   

Mooge, Homunculus and others thanks for the compliment. I am humbled and thank Somaliaonline for giving all of us this platform to express our thoughts.

galbeedi   

Alpha , I could be out of the touch, but how long do we have to make excuses for people who can't do any simple reforms to make life better for the citizens. What does it take to keep streets open or develop new land for people to settle.

Tallaabo   

Its true most of Somaliland's politicians are useless if not worse; but it is also true that unlike Ethiopia, Djibouti, and many other places in Africa and the wider world, the people of Boorame and other towns of Somaliland have the privilege to hire and fire their mayors and president. All that is needed is to educate the public about the role of government in their society, justice, their right, and their responsibilities as citizens.

<cite>

^ these 'epic' travels reek of arrogance. you're hurling a lot of unnecessary insults. it's very clear you're out of touch with reality.

Just because you don't like what he's saying doesn't mean you can accuse him of arrogance and insults.

That's a very childish approach to handling this. I personally like what Galbeedi is saying, and I hope to see him talk about experiences in Puntland and the South.

If you can't handle healthy criticism then maybe you should shut off your internet connection and live in the dark....?

<cite>

Just because you don't like what he's saying doesn't mean you can accuse him of arrogance and insults.

That's a very childish approach to handling this. I personally like what Galbeedi is saying, and I hope to see him talk about experiences in Puntland and the South.

If you can't handle healthy criticism then maybe you should shut off your internet connection and live in the dark....?

go and blow yourself up. you're nothing but a terrorist thug.

<cite>

Alpha , I could be out of the touch, but how long do we have to make excuses for people who can't do any simple reforms to make life better for the citizens. What does it take to keep streets open or develop new land for people to settle.

come and do something instead of hurling insults.

<cite>

go and blow yourself up. you're nothing but a terrorist thug.

Aboowe......Alpha. Don't use terminology which you can't understand.

You're better off going on long lonely walks through the streets of London/Hargeisa. There's no need to hurl insults on the Internet.

You're a miskeen. Learn your place

<cite>

Aboowe......Alpha. Don't use terminology which you can't understand.

You're better off going on long lonely walks through the streets of London/Hargeisa. There's no need to hurl insults on the Internet.

You're a miskeen. Learn your place

lol. i think i'll go on another lonely walk.