Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

New-look Brazil go back to basics : A Must-read for Tuujiye and Norf

Abtigiis   

Perhaps this sharpen their analytical capacity on football matters

-------------------

By Sam Lyon

BBC Sport at the Emirates

Think of the greats of Brazilian football and you will probably come up with Pele, Garrincha, Rivelino, Socrates - players full of flair, skill and vision. In short, geniuses.

The name of Dunga, however, wouldn't necessarily be on the tip of your tongue. A nuggety defensive midfielder who cut his teeth in Italian football and prizes tactics above flamboyance does not quite fit the Brazilian stereotype.

But while Dunga, who captained Brazil to victory at the 1994 World Cup, might have flown under the radar as a player to some extent, there is no danger of him doing so as a manager.

For now, as head coach of the national side, he is playing a lead role in formulating a new brand of Brazilian football, one that in many ways is shaped in his own image.

And the critics back in his home country are not amused.

Since his appointment in July 2006, the 46-year-old has led Brazil to the 2007 Copa America, the 2009 Confederations Cup and comfortable qualification for this year's World Cup.

His record reads 36 wins from 53 matches, and 43 from 61 if you include the 2008 Olympics campaign - a win percentage of 75.4.

But that is not enough. Not in a country that epitomises all that is glorious and glamorous about the game of football.

The accusation is that Dunga is too pragmatic. Too keen to put the result first and the performance second. Substance over style.

And for a country that has won the greatest prize of them all on five occasions and has also given the world Jairzinho, Zico, Romario and Ronaldo, that is unacceptable.

His selection of the defensive-minded Felipe Melo and Gilberto Silva in central midfield is considered anti-football. His insistence that Robinho, Kaka and Adriano track back as well as attack baffles the average Brazilian fan. The continued absence from his squad of Ronaldinho has been attacked from all angles by his country's press.

Even German legend Franz Beckenbauer weighed into the debate in December, stating: "I don't know this Brazil. I don't like the style. Sorry, Brazil is (about) offense and scoring goals, not controlled soccer."

And now, it would appear, Dunga's patience has worn thin.

He has already announced he will step down as Brazil coach, however far his side gets in South Africa this summer.

And meet the man up close and his frustration at having to answer to the media is hardly disguised. In a room packed full of Brazilian journalists in town for the friendly against the Republic of Ireland, Dunga bristles as the questions rain in, constantly rolling his eyes, sweeping his hair back or sighing deeply.

Kaka is not yet at his brilliant best

Why have you not selected Ronaldinho? "Everyone always wants to talk about players who are not here. You need to respect the players that are here," he snaps.

How do you deal with the pressure of coaching Brazil? "It's normal that everybody speculates on what could happen. But I need to see what actually will happen. Pressure has always been the story of Brazil. It doesn't give you any advantage or any lack of it. It's something that happens and you have to live with it," he replies.

What do you say to those who do not like your coaching style? "Some people say I'm arrogant but that's not true. Most players in Brazil are talented players. But we don't live on talent. We live on results," he says forcefully.

It is that final philosophy that upsets his critics so much.

It is an approach that he has engineered - publicly - from the start of his reign.

"Talent is extremely important but it has to be united with other things, history shows this," he said at the time of his appointment. "Brazil have often had players of quality but haven't got the results. The national team is not only about skill any more; it's about competitiveness and commitment."

And he makes no apologies for it nearly four years later.

An open training session at the Emirates Stadium on Monday provided an interesting insight into the workings of the Brazilian.

Only so much can be concluded from such a session, of course - why would any side wish to reveal their inner-most secrets and methods with the world's media watching? - but it was still noteworthy that Dunga employed a watching brief, his lieutenants running the drills.

The 2006 side lacked a bit of collective spirit. When the group is solid, individual talent tips the balance. But when there is no collectiveness, then individualism goes down the drain together with the group

And whereas you might imagine previous Brazil sides flicking the ball around with aplomb, Dunga ran through endless set-pieces. When a 20-minute match took place at the end, it was 11-a-side on half a pitch, with only two touches allowed and the emphasis on pass and move and closing down the opposition.

In Brazil, some have called it "killing creativity", but on this evidence it is more about enhanced preparation.

Few can argue his approach has not bred results much improved from the embarrassment felt among Brazil fans after the 2006 World Cup, when they were knocked out at the quarter-final stage.

And at a time when Brazil are hardly brimming with the wealth of top-class stars of previous vintages, Dunga is leading from from the front in exactly the way modern football demands: marrying flair with function.

Brazil's 2-0 friendly win over Ireland on Tuesday typified Dunga's approach.

A sluggish start against the Irish at the Emirates Stadium was still notable for the Brazilian players' application, closing the opposition down high up the pitch and squeezing two lines of four in defence. Even Adriano, the striker who disappointed so badly in 2006, broke into a sprint back towards his own goal every now and then.

Still, Ireland had the odd glimpse at goal and, for the first 40 minutes, Brazil were very disappointing going forward. On that evidence alone it would have been easy to understand the supporters' frustration with Dunga's philosophy.

But then they took the lead - albeit fortuitously - and in the second half they barely allowed Ireland a touch of the ball.

Robinho, king of the stepover, was their tormentor in chief. Maicon, bombing forward, underlined why he is regarded as one of the best attacking full-backs in world football. Michel Bastos supplemented attacks on the left at every opportunity, while Kaka - though far from his best - stalked the pitch at will, full of intent. When the Real Madrid playmaker returns to top form, and you can bet it will be at the World Cup, he could be unplayable.

And that is Dunga's point.

Yes, he has instilled a work ethic in the side that was barely recognisable in some previous Brazil sides - most notably the one that slumped four years ago. And yes he expects even his most flamboyant players to do their bit defensively and to keep the shape of the team.

He has not, however, totally robbed the team of their Samba magic. In attack, Kaka, Robinho and, when they play, the likes of Dani Alves, Elano, Nilmar and Luis Fabiano, have the freedom of the pitch to express themselves, to pull out of position and create something, to torment defenders as they see fit.

When Robinho popped up to sweep home Brazil's second goal at the Emirates, it was on the back of a 22-pass move, full of one-touch football, mesmerising movement and even the odd back-heel.

"Everything is almost clear for us," said the coach after the match. "And we have different options depending on how we need to play."

The flamboyance is still very much in effect. But with the ethic of the team now much improved and an awareness of their defensive responsibilities in place throughout the team, Brazil appear able to execute whatever gameplan is necessary to win.

As Dunga remarked about the 2006 Brazil generation: "They lacked a bit of collective spirit. When the group is solid, individual talent tips the balance. But when there is no collectiveness, then individualism goes down the drain together with the group."

The preparations are not yet complete and there are certainly creases to be ironed out in the coming weeks.

But if Brazil do fail to win the World Cup for a staggering sixth time this year, it will not be down to a lack of preparation, a losing philosophy or even a suffocation of the Samba magic.

Dunga will see to that.

N.O.R.F   

A&T, for a man who has watched the game all these years you’re still getting caught up in the hype that is Brazil. They are just that, hype. Are they favourites for the cup? Just like they were in 2006? Just like the French were in 2002? Just like Ronaldo and Co. were in 1998? On all three occasions I knew the favourites wouldn’t win (they never do).

You say they have the best keeper in the world but he scoffs an easy save vs Chelsea in an important CL game. You say they have the best defence but are probably the slowest (Lucio and Luicio). When Alves and/or Maicon go forward, a good team like Spain, Argies, England and even France will expose it.

Anyway, there is really no point in debating it to death ee lets leave some for the actual tournament.

ps just look at the players you have up front and in midfield. Nothing exciting about it. Heck even Lucas could be going :D

Abtigiis   

Ciyaalka show'ga ku ciyaaraa kubada doing funny things before games start in opening ceremonies are also entertaining. The question is not whether step-overs and back-heels are enjoyable. The issue is whether they will bring result. And result matters. Dunga knows that and that is why I am a fan of him. By the way, he can be kicked out of the world cup and Brazil could decide to go to its 'entertaining self', but it will remain that: Entertaining!

Edit- by the way, you never see the English press asking their team to add falir and flamboyance to their game. In fact, they insist on physical strength, high-tempo and positional descipline. But they ALWAYS ask Brazil to do those things. It is a trick, I tell you. Even Beckenbauer said why don't Brazil play like they used to do; meaning 'give us the 1970-1990 period again' in which case Germany won 2 world cups.

BOB   

A&T.

This Brazilian team is not something to write home about. I can't believe how average Republic of Ireland made them look and with a little bit of luck the Irish could've drawn the match.

I just cannot see them setting the world cup alight with so many average players and I will be surprised if Melo doesn't get the first red card in the 2010 World Cup.

in my opinion you can't win the world cup relying on Robinho and Kaka, both of them painfully average and ridiculously OVERRATED.

PS. it was good to see Adriano...that's coming from the Inter fan in me. smile.gif

Peace, Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

A&T this when you show your short memory. Dhino made Barca what they are today. He was the catalyst tricks and all. He was the focal point and beat the best the world had to offer for 3 great years. Remember how he took Milan apart at the SS? Or Chelsea in numerous games? Not only is the best Brazilian player ever but has PROVEN it.

That current midfield no one has heard of let alone them actually achieving something.

Abtigiis   

Bob, adeer horta adiga ilaahay adigoo caafimaad qaba ha ku soo celiyo. Meel aan kaala soo xidhiidhana waayey hawlo inay jireena waan maqlay. Ducco'se iguma yarayn. Hawshan Brazil, all I am saying is pretty or not, Brazil is winning games. And I like that. I have Arsenal to entertain me, when I need some. But the world cup is no joke. In the Ireland game, would you care to analyse the second-half? I took your coments there as reflecting the first half. Anyway, even the first-half when Brazil was lucklustre, the score read Brazil 1- Ireland 0.

And dear BOB, have you heard from world-conguering gervinho and the Elephants? What did Korea do to them?

Norf,

key words of your story about Ronaldinho: MADE, WAS, WAS, had to offer, took, proven. Which tense are they written? In what Mulugetta, my poor English teacher would say Past, and Past perfect.

Anyway, you are really missing the jist of my message. Brazil are winning even when they are not playing well.

Edit- Spain were long called CHAMPIONS OF FRENDLIES and it is naive to read too much into their current form. We need to see another trophy to be convinced that Euro 2008 was not a fluke and a one-off like that of Greece! :D:D Remember how they performed in the Confed cup!

Kulmiye   

Salaamu Aleekum.

Bob, how can you say such a thing? look at the skill level of this team. the coaching, the experience as well as the wisdom to help those players who have not been to the big stage. it would be surprising if they don't make it all the way to the final four.

Dinho isn't washed up but simply doesn't fit into the Brazilian tactics as presently composed, its as simple as that.

lol @ Kaka being painfully average, the British inferiority complex always makes for exaggerated statements. You'd favour Stevie G in his position I'm assuming?

Tuujiye   

^^With out creativity, Brazil will not go far sxb.. This is the world cup not a club league.. You have to bring it all in one meaning every kind of tactic that you could get from your players.... many teams like Italy play defence at all times and with out a creative player, you will never break into that defence.....

But I'm sure Dunga knows that and he will have Dinho in the world for sure...lol..

Wareer Badanaa!!!

^^^ Dinho stuffed up when he was leading the Samba boys in 2006. His arrogance showed Brazil the door. You can watch France vs Brazil in 2006.

Remember when Brazil was accused lack of flair in 1994 and they won. I expect the same here! Dunga will see to that.

Cheers

Tuujiye   

lol... They had Romario saaxiib and Rivaldo who was at his prime..They still had some creativity on the field... This team is a very average team... Ronaldinho messed up in 2006 and I agree with you on that, but the man worked hard now and did everything Dunga asked him to do..look how well he is playing for Ac Milan this year! I think he deserves a chance more than Robinho and Edriano...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Abtigiis   

In 1994, there was no Rivaldo. Anyway, Mazinho, Zinho, Dunga were in the center.

In 2002, they have Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, but we all know they won ONLY because they got lucky draws and all teams in that tournament didn't play well. Their game with England was pure luck. Even against Turkey, the same. They played better in the final.

In 2006, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were the main problems. Ronaldo could not even lift his leg.

In 2010, we expect a different Brazil, one that runs and tackles more than any other team. Nowaay, it is fitness that makes the difference. Man U is the fittest team, and that is why they make others look ordinary. Orod iyo dhidid badan ayaa loo baahan yahay. Only then can talent make a difference. Laakiin Ilko-dhaadheer baan meesha soo dhigayaa without running after the other player who snatches ball and then when the ball comes back with the sweat of others, I will do dummies and theatrics, ma soconayso.

Polanyi   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

Laakiin Ilko-dhaadheer baan meesha soo dhigayaa without running after the other player who snatches ball and then when the ball comes back with the sweat of others, I will do dummies and theatrics, ma soconayso.

:D:D