Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Reconstructing Somalia: Love Songs at the Birth of a Nation

Safferz   

Interesting program from Afropop featuring Lidwien Kapteijns and Ahmed Samatar on popular music and the making of the Somali Republic. I think it's crazy that they're claiming these are "rare songs" and that they possess some sort of rare archive in the cassettes collection they share, but other than the obvious bs, it's actually a pretty insightful and well done program. You can read the full interview with Kapteijns here.

Listen to the program here:

null

Safferz   

One of the songs in which Somalis debated gender and modern society mentioned in the program, I remember this song!

galbeedi   

Sister Safferz, thanks for uploading this rich culture. I met Allah ha u naxariistee Maryan Omar in the summer of 2008 in Ottawa, Canada. I went there for the commemoration of late Hassan Sheekh Muumin, one of the greatest playwright and composer of Somali culture. She was probably in her late fifties or early sixties. She was a soft spoken women of abundant grace. She had literally thousands of Somali Suugaan from 1950 to date. She passed in 2012.

Thanks for sharing the links, Safferz. I also checked the YouTube channel, HiddoSongs and truly some of Maryan's collections are indeed rare as there are songs that I never heard of before. May Allah bless her soul.

<cite>
said:</cite>

No problem! Here's an additional interview with Prof. Kapteijns to follow up on the program:

Does anyone know the name of the very first song playing in the background during the introduction of the video?

Barwaaqo   

OdaySomali heesta magaceedu waa kalahadhimaynee(kalaharimaynee) i hanno, waxa ku luuqaaynaya Hassan Aden Samater iyo Baxsan. Heestani waxay ka mid ahayd riwaayadii Gar-cadaawe iyo caashaq.