Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

A Somali organization that denies the existence of Somali people.

Safferz   

I'm listening to Ahmed Hussen of the Canadian Somali Congress speaking on CBC radio about his organization's opposition to the Toronto District School Board's (all) Somali task force and their recommendations for curbing the high dropout rate for students of Somali descent in Toronto (the recommendations were passed by school board trustees earlier this month). Students of Somali descent have some of the highest dropout rates in the city, at 35.1%.

What's Hussen's argument in the face of these educational disparities? What is his rationale for opposing those who are trying to change things for Somali students in the Toronto school system?

There are no Somali students! Just Canadian students! So why target them for statistics and for support? WE'RE ALL CANADIAN.

I would like to smoke some of this post-racial crack he's on.

Safferz I'm sure there must be an underlying rationale as to why Mr. Hussen would be opposed to such a task-force. It can't be something as benign as "We're opposed to this measure because we are not just Somalis, but we are Canadians who happen to be of Somali descent"

Maybe Mr Hussen doesn't like some of the recommendations proposed in the Task Force? There should be a public forum where we exchange these ideas, as Somalis. It'd be a better idea than airing out our grievances to the media before we work out a proper solution

Maybe the Somalis in Toronto should create an indigenous, grassroots based program where we address the high dropout rates of the Somali students.

Safferz   

DK, did you listen to this interview or any of his other media appearances? Please do, because you'll see that he has no substantive critique -- the crux of his argument in opposition to the task force is what he calls the "labeling" ie. identifying Somali students as a group and as a group that has to be targeted for help. If you listen to this interview, he even opposes "of Somali descent" as a descriptor. There also WERE public forums to discuss the recommendations as they were being developed, 8 of them if I remember correctly, that had hundreds of Somali parents come out and give their input. He is talking out of his ass, and I was glad that the school board trustee who was on the show with him called him out on it and set the facts straight. Hussen exists in a postracial utopia where there are only "Canadian students" and "Canadian students dropping out" to shoot down evidence of particular issues and challenges facing the Somali community and any attempts to mitigate them. How can you have a productive discussion with someone who doesn't acknowledge race and ethnicity in Canada?

The Canadian Somali Congress has lost, humiliatingly. But what this TDSB issue has done is open up space for Hussen to emerge as a self-appointed leader in the Somali community (he's appeared in the media before for other issues, but nothing like the sustained exposure this mashruuc has handed him), and he's eating it up. Mark my words, the man is profile building and will run for political office in the near future. I'll remember to bump this thread up when it happens, lol.

Holac   

Mr. Hussein comes off as an empty blowhard, babbling incoherently. One of the callers asked him why he names his organisation "Canadian Somali Congress" if he is so against identity based on ethnicity. His answer was typical "deer in headlights" answer. :)

<cite>
said:</cite>

DK, did you listen to this interview or any of his other media appearances? Please do, because you'll see that he has no substantive critique -- the crux of his argument in opposition to the task force is what he calls the "labeling" ie. identifying Somali students as a group and as a group that has to be targeted for help. If you listen to this interview, he even opposes "of Somali descent" as a descriptor. There also WERE public forums to discuss the recommendations as they were being developed, 8 of them if I remember correctly, that had hundreds of Somali parents come out and give their input. He is talking out of his ass, and I was glad that the school board trustee who was on the show with him called him out on it and set the facts straight. Hussen exists in a postracial utopia where there are only "Canadian students" and "Canadian students dropping out" to shoot down evidence of particular issues and challenges facing the Somali community and any attempts to mitigate them. How can you have a productive discussion with someone who doesn't acknowledge race and ethnicity in Canada?

The Canadian Somali Congress has lost, humiliatingly. But what this TDSB issue has done is open up space for Hussen to emerge as a self-appointed leader in the Somali community (he's appeared in the media before for other issues, but nothing like the sustained exposure this mashruuc has handed him), and he's eating it up.
Mark my words, the man is profile building and will run for political office in the near future. I'll remember to bump this thread up when it happens, lol.

https://ahmedhussen.liberal.ca/ ;)

Mooge   

my girl safferz, Ahmed Hussen is a good man and an honorable citizen abayo. support your brother and vote for him since your a canadian. i met him in nairobi few years back and he is very good person.