LayZie G.

Somali-Canadian Buzz Word: Integration TV

Integration TV with Host/Producer/Writer Hodan Nalayeh

Episode 1 of 1:

Episode 2 of 2:

Episode 3 of 3:

About Hodan Nalayeh:

Hodan Nalayeh

Hodan Nalayeh was born in Somalia. As a young child, her family immigrated to Canada. Growing up amongst two cultures, Hodan learned early on the impact media has on shaping our lives and perception. Her early career started in radio and her television credits include television’s most successful show, American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. She has also worked on Def Comedy Jam with Dave Chappelle. Hodan is currently producing original television programming and is committed to bring diversity to Canadian television. In her volunteer time, she is an advocate for Somali refugees and strongly believes in ending violence against women worldwide.

Tune in Every Saturday to City TV with Host Hodan Nalayeh.

Time: 10:30am-11:00am

PS: Ngonge is still watching Universal TV from his bootleg box, hahahaha.

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>

And why is that Safferz? What's wrong with the title?

To put it simply, I think the concept of "integration" in the Western liberal Enlightenment tradition - the tradition Canada and other states trace their genealogy to - is the project to extinguish difference/distinction, when it's simply impossible to transcend most forms of difference (see Fanon "The Fact of Blackness") and you have groups who want their difference recognized by the state. It's this logic that produces crises in places like France; the realization that not only can the state not tolerate difference, but that the "universal" concepts inherited from the Enlightenment are in fact relative and historically particular. It's also these same logics that underpinned and enabled European colonialism and empire, and in turn set into motion the conditions that produced the immigrant communities that they are now trying to grapple with.

Integration (read: assimilation) is a sham, it is an ideal and an impossibility.

xabad   

<cite>

To put it simply, I think the concept of "integration" in the Western liberal Enlightenment tradition - the tradition Canada and other states trace their genealogy to - is the project to extinguish difference/distinction, when it's simply impossible to transcend most forms of difference (see Fanon "The Fact of Blackness") and you have groups who want their difference recognized by the state. It's this logic that produces crises in places like France; the realization that not only can the state not tolerate difference, but that the "universal" concepts inherited from the Enlightenment are in fact relative and historically particular. It's also these same logics that underpinned and enabled European colonialism and empire, and in turn set into motion the conditions that produced the immigrant communities that they are now trying to grapple with.

Integration (read: assimilation) is a sham, it is an ideal and an impossibility.

Not its not a sham, and this lady proves it.

BN   

Somalis need to do a better job, as a community, to integrate into the wider society of these disparate countries in which we find ourselves. If not, we will continue to do a disservice to ourselves and our new homes.

Mooge   

seems like a good show. better than the universal TV and most similar somali homemade iphone-recorded videos they keep calling "TV". lol.

Khayr   

<cite>

Saff,

You may dislike the terminology used here (Assimilation) yet your value system has become

one with that of western liberal socieites.

In other words, you believe in the "free and progressive" thinking liberal society and your thoughts are in line with them.

You think like them;

You dress like them;

You have values like gender equality and

are pro-gay.

You dislike any imposition on your "freedom of thought".

So what are you really disagreeing with?

Assimilation, diversity and inclusion (limited ofcourse) is all but from the same narrative -

the dominant liberal worldview which is American and Euro-value centered.

Kkkk...I thought this was the first time I would see Saff and Khayr agree. I guess I have much to learn.

Integration is not a sham. Just look at "Hoodhaan Naaleya" helping us build a "new cultural identity." Sarcasm.

Safferz   

<cite>

Saff,

You may dislike the terminology used here (Assimilation) yet your value system has become

one with that of western liberal socieites.

In other words, you believe in the "free and progressive" thinking liberal society and your thoughts are in line with them.

You think like them;

You dress like them;

You have values like gender equality and

are pro-gay.

You dislike any imposition on your "freedom of thought".

So what are you really disagreeing with?

Assimilation, diversity and inclusion (limited ofcourse) is all but from the same narrative -

the dominant liberal worldview which is American and Euro-value centered.

Khayr, I can't take your absurdity seriously sometimes. Are you really ceding freedom and equality to the West? Did you miss the part where I said that liberal Enlightenment thinking - the philosophical basis for the idea of assimilation/integration as a way of grappling with difference - is also the basis of the transtlantic slave trade, colonialism and other modern forms of human subjugation?

Go read a book then get back to me when you are serious.

Khayr   

It sounds like you disagree with the "integration" and all its derivatives on an academic level.

On the tangible and level of every day thoughts and desires - you accept and preach liberal colonialism .

You are very much like those liberals that fight for "equality and racism" but look down upon other non-western influenced cultures and religions. You are being dishonest with yourself.