Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Swimming Siilaanyo

NGONGE   

It wasn't enough that he went strolling around town and walking into random mosques to pray. Now, Xaaji Siilaanyo has pushed it one further and went for a swim in Berbara.

Peace is going swimmingly. Heh.

STOIC   

Some said the mosque prayer was a publicity stunt to show Somaliland was peaceful, but this one i like it. The old man has been packing some belly fat lately..Good for him!

I am sure I have seen another one doing the same prior to him in the Indian ocean. Oh, I remember, it was Mr Mahmood showing how peaceful his country is/was!

However, to credit this man's dues, his part of the Somali peninsula is generally peaceful. Then again, like the Punt-dhul, the whole place is inhabited by his kinship, whilst the fella down south has to put up with a mix, and a crazy mix at that.

Hey-ho, Somalia iyo Somali.

dhagax tuur are you forgetting the 1994 war between the Muqdishaawis was between 2 sub clans if these 2 sub clans kept their frictions in doors and didnt use bazookas'to annihilate each other the south would be peaceful. I dont believe this whole diversity crap in the south the USC fully controlled the bay and bakool regions and if they got their stuff in order the whole divisions in the far south could have been avoived in Somaliland do you think the peace and stability was given to the people of Somaliland on a silver plate are you forgetting the destructive wars in burco and hargeisa and berbera and ceerigaabo in from 1993 to 1996, the only difference between the Somalilanders and the koonfurians is that the elders got in between and stopped the blood shed conflict resolutions culture is very alive in Somaliland odayaal ba ka odeyaya khilaafka. Puntland to had its sub clan wars and Somaliland elders such as buurmadow made peace between them.

I am gonna put it succinctly and say it's easier to mediate between the 4 habro and co or the four Saleebaans et al, than all the diverse tribes in the south.

xaaji, the south Is far more complicated. Bay and Bakool have nothing in common with Sh Hoose, Sh. hoose has nothing with Banaadir etc.

Do you get my point, my brother, I am calling you brother cuz Of our common Soomaalinimo.

USC controlled all the south what is there so different about bay and bakool the fracturing clans were between the 2 Hag clans which caused the collapse of the capital city if they reconciled and never fought there is no diversity at all other than bay and bakool. Take away the Puntland clans and the Somaliland clans u have the HAG clans and the gedo clan left and the bay and bakool clan , the rest are Somali bantus and other persian minorities the latter two awal ba wax lama weydiin lahayd. the conflict was between the 2 mogadishu factions the mogadishu faction controlled all the south at one stage of the civil war.But their war caused their collapse.

LANDER   

Dhagax tur is on the money about the south just being more complicated and likely Somaliland having an easier time because we are more homogeneous (not necessearilly in terms of tribe but also culture and ethnicity). At the same time it doesn't completely negate the point Xaaji made about the USC leadership having a window of opportunity when power was centralized. If the USC managed to make an agreement between themselves and in those days, there is no reason to believe there wouldn't be a more lasting peace today. Post Siad Barre government, power was very much centralized in the hands of the USC. Even if the former regime threw a wrench in those plans with Pawns like Ali Mahdi, the fact remains they still failed miserably and that group of people had a common tribe and culture etc.. in other words the diversity of the south had no bearing on their self-implosion. The second point of difference between north-south that I think people appreciate a little less in a historical context, is the differing war experiences. The worst days for the Northern people was the fighting that occured in the late 80's early 90's against the former government and not the mid-90's short lived inter-tribal battles that took place after the collapse of the Barre dictatorship. That's why it was easier to make peace amongst the various peoples of Somaliland and call for comprehensive peace agreements. On the flip side in the south, what happened after the fall of the regime of Siad Barre was far worse than the fighthing and bloodshed that took him out of power. I think the collapse of the regime in the south came too swiftly for southerners and when inter-tribal fighthing started, there was no common past struggle, suffering and solidarity to really look back on in order to really appreciate the cost of peace (unlike in Somaliland).

As for the REAL subject at hand I didn't know an old man swimming in the sea was worthy of papparazi style news coverage on SOL :D If a push-up contest broke out between Siilanyo and Alpha blondy, my money is on Siilanyo all day.

<cite>@LANDER said:</cite>

I think the collapse of the regime in the south came too swiftly for southerners and when inter-tribal fighthing started, there was no common past struggle, suffering and solidarity to really look back on in order to really appreciate the cost of peace (unlike in Somaliland)

True to the bone.

and Silanyo goes to Guinness book as the first Somali president dare punch the waves:D

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Dhagax tur is on the money about the south just being more complicated and likely Somaliland having an easier time because we are more homogeneous (not necessearilly in terms of tribe but also culture and ethnicity). At the same time it doesn't completely negate the point Xaaji made about the USC leadership having a window of opportunity when power was centralized. If the USC managed to make an agreement between themselves and in those days, there is no reason to believe there wouldn't be a more lasting peace today. Post Siad Barre government, power was very much centralized in the hands of the USC. Even if the former regime threw a wrench in those plans with Pawns like Ali Mahdi, the fact remains they still failed miserably and that group of people had a common tribe and culture etc.. in other words the diversity of the south had no bearing on their self-implosion. The second point of difference between north-south that I think people appreciate a little less in a historical context, is the differing war experiences. The worst days for the Northern people was the fighting that occured in the late 80's early 90's against the former government and not the mid-90's short lived inter-tribal battles that took place after the collapse of the Barre dictatorship. That's why it was easier to make peace amongst the various peoples of Somaliland and call for comprehensive peace agreements. On the flip side in the south, what happened after the fall of the regime of Siad Barre was far worse than the fighthing and bloodshed that took him out of power.
I think the collapse of the regime in the south came too swiftly for southerners and when inter-tribal fighthing started, there was no common past struggle, suffering and solidarity to really look back on in order to really appreciate the cost of peace (unlike in Somaliland).

As for the REAL subject at hand I didn't know an old man swimming in the sea was worthy of papparazi style news coverage on SOL
:D
If a push-up contest broke out between Siilanyo and Alpha blondy, my money is on Siilanyo all day.

Siyaad Barre and his military regime had no power left when the USC started their campaign. Somalia was literally bankrupt and on the verge of economic collapse due to the high cost of the war in the then north of the republic; the huge revenues from Berbera, Hargeisa, and the rest of north ended; its military ruined by the SNM; international pressure and sanctions mounted on the regime due to the relentless campaign by the SNM's overseas operations and lobbying; and last but not least, the whole regime was reduced to a mere clan mafia group by the SNM's brilliant tactics of divide and destroy from within.