Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

The great professor IM lewis dies

This morning he passed away a scholar and an anthropologist and expert on Somalia and Somaliland, he lived years and years in burco Somaliland, he could pass for a Somali in reality he spoke it fluently and wrote so many books on Somalis in general, My favorite book was Understand Somalia and Somaliland by professor IM lewis, u will be missed professor but your work will live on and will be read for centuries to come.

Safferz   

RIP I.M. Lewis, I didn't agree with all of his writing and interpretations of Somali history and culture but his contributions are undeniable and he single handedly created the field of Somali Studies and paved the way for future scholarship. My favourite book of his is "Blood and Bone: The Call of Kinship in Somali Society" followed by his historical survey "A Modern History of the Somali" (title has changed over the years, but that's the most recent).

he was celebrated for no other reason than for being a white man who was an expert in Somali affairs. the Somali academics today are no different. they continue his work, using his maskax and we ought to be wary of their attempts to study us. they cannot be taken serious. they know who they are. avoid them and avoid their uninformed opinions.

STOIC   

Since Saferz is our historian here (appeal to authority), I will let her words suffice the man's contribution.RIP

xabad   

<cite>
said:</cite>

he was celebrated for no other reason than for being a white man who was an expert in Somali affairs. the Somali academics today are no different. they continue his work, using his maskax and we ought to be wary of their attempts to study us. they cannot be taken serious. they know who they are. avoid them and avoid their uninformed opinions.

Kudos to you, at least you get it.

So now this bigot, spy and orientalist is being called great by his victims, surreal. good riddance to qashin and may he burn in hell.

Hawdian   

^ soo much hate. Even dead you show no respect. This man is dead whatever good or bad its between him and god. SOL use to be a great place , now its full of bored teenagers/amba ku aqli ciyaal. RIP I.M.Lewis. You legacy speaks for itself .

No its not that me and my people are just not inferior to the Europeans they dont cry and wail and blame Europeans for their problems. We dont feel threatened by a European who is interested in our culture and writes books. IM lewis academic work will live on.

Safferz   

<cite>

Since Saferz is our historian here (appeal to authority), I will let her words suffice the man's contribution.RIP

When any of these "critics" can produce as rigorous and detailed an ethnography of Somali culture and history as "A Pastoral Democracy," then they can talk. Until then, their criticisms are baseless internet drivel, contributing nothing to the study of Somali history and society.

xabad   

<cite>

^ soo much hate. Even dead you show no respect. This man is dead whatever good or bad its between him and god. SOL use to be a great place , now its full of bored teenagers/amba ku aqli ciyaal. RIP I.M.Lewis. You legacy speaks for itself .

May Allah put him in one place after death. aamiin

Mooge   

Lewis was biased towards the northern clan because of his relationship with some people there, but he was still scholar who covered so many topics related to somali poeple. RIP.