Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Somaliland to construct a second port in lughaya

Dr_Osman   

It's very suspicious when big projects are begun in the last year remaining of a leader's term. It's either a sales pitch to get re elected or they know before hand who's going to lead in the next term and they will stop this project and make the prrvious admin look like heros or basically lifting up the profile of the previous admin when people remember it.

I doubt Somaliland will open a second port, it's first port looks inactive as it is, what need their would be for second port is nonsensical. It will be another failed project like somcable which puntland is already eyeing on starting. Any project or agreement signed or started in the last year of anyone's office is a sales pitch and will never come to fruition. In the last term if it isn't about opening forget it.

Somaliland will have 2 main ports if not more in the future berbera is very busy Somaliland government is in negotiations with a french port firm to lease the port for years for investment, and we are talking about 100s of millions of dollars of investment. Similar what the Djibouti government signed with UAE port authority. Somaliland can easily construc ta second smaller port . Somcable is not a failed project its in full gear

galbeedi   

Bernera could be a major container port, which will handle transits containers. Small size fishing and Bagaash ports are good for the locals economy and coastal intra trade. We welcome this kind of projects.

Dittore, Kulmiye have left another year and four months to rule. We are all watching how they proceed. They know if they do not deliver their promises, they will be voted out of the office. Regardless of the it's weaknesses, there will be hope in democracy.

I am also sensing the diaspora Somalis are out of touch of the realities in back home. I think we should let the people back home to decide their future.

Tallaabo   

There is also an active plan to build a port in Maydh. Given our terrible roads, I think it is much more convenient to transport goods to and fro Laasqoray, Maydh, Berbera, Luqhaya, and Saylac by boat.