Sign in to follow this  
Holac

Do you enjoy flying?

Holac   

I fly frequently for business, but I'll be honest, I don't enjoy flying. I find it to be boring, unpleasant and tiring.

I am watching the news now and they are talking about a missing airplane.

The agony for these family members is sure to be intense.

malaysia-airlines-has-lost-contact-with-a-plane-carrying-239-people.jpg

Safferz   

Not really -- I like airports, I like the excitement of travel and going home, but I don't like the actual flying part. I find takeoff a bit nerve-wracking (I like being able to distract myself with my iPod, but they don't allow you to use electronics when I need them most!), landing is only slightly better, and turbulence is terrifying. My mom survived a plane crash in the 70s so that has no doubt shaped some of my feelings about flying.

Safferz   

I believe that statistically, driving and even walking down the street are more dangerous than flying :P So it's an irrational fear, but at the same time there's something deeply unsettling about knowing you're in a chair in the sky (as Louis CK would put it).

I hate flying and the worst part is when it's turbulence God nafta ayaa i qabata. I don't talk much during my flight either and I never sleep aswell. Except once when I fell asleep on a guy's shoulder for hours, without me knowing of course and he didn't say anything lol. This phobia has really restricted my vacations, but I promised my self that I shall travel longer distances this year.

I hope the passengers of the missing malaysian airplane are doing well and is stranded somewhere. That's why I hate flying, there is something about dying in that way subhannallah.

I hate flying and the worst part is when it's turbulence God nafta ayaa i qabata. I don't talk much during my flight either and I never sleep aswell. Except once when I fell asleep on a guy's shoulder for hours, without me knowing of course and he didn't say anything lol. This phobia has really restricted my vacations, but I promised my self that I shall travel longer distances this year.

I hope the passengers of the missing malaysian airplane are doing well and is stranded somewhere. That's why I hate flying, there is something about dying in that way subhannallah.

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>

There is flying and there is FLYING on Daalo or Jubba.

I flew Jubba once from Djibouti to Hargeisa, and I actually saw a hairline crack open up next to me on landing. It's scary that planes that have been retired from flight decades ago in North America and Europe are still part of airline fleets in Africa. I worry it's only a matter of time before a major malfunction.

Saxansaxo, I can't remember which Stephen King story it was, but there was the line "there's no breakdown lane in the sky." I think that's what makes flying much more terrifying than driving, despite driving being far more dangerous -- when something goes wrong in the air, the odds of survival are so much worse.

^^ It's probably the reason for my phobia- the odds being much worse and there is something unsettling about flying at that height above mountains and the sea. Soow maaha there are so many accidents happening on roads compared to airplanes crashing and I'm scared of flying addunyo.

Saffers,

It is true flying is more safer than cars or trains but as you said our fear of flying is basically irrational. I have studed this in Quality Control, this could be proved by refering to accidents/year in the world. i overcome my fear after flying many hours. My longest flight was about 22 hrs with 3 hrs. Transit landings of 1 hr each.

Is it true that these planes like Daalo and others carry evrything fromhicken, khat and people at the same time?.

I heard they don't respect booking and time. You could check at the airport 2 hrs before tddeparture and you will be notified that the plane has already left, or your ticket can be sold to the person in the line before you. This is cazy if it is true!.

Safferz   

Mahiigaan, a lot of airlines carry other things at the same time, you're just not aware of it. But yes, the various regional airlines we have operating in the Somali region (with the exception of Ethiopian Airlines) are all shady as hell and unsafe. I saw Daallo was on the EU blacklist as an airline banned from ever operating in Europe due to concerns over safety. Surprisingly Jubba isn't on there as well, but they were careful to state that just because an airline isn't on the EU list, that doesn't mean it's not unsafe.

I've been freaking myself out by reading about major airline crashes all day. Do you guys remember Air France 447 from Rio de Janeiro that crashed in the Atlantic on its way to Paris in 2009? I read the transcript from the cockpit, and it's a bit terrifying to see how the plane was flying normally and within minutes crashed into the Atlantic because the co-pilots panicked and didn't know what to do in a stall situation (apparently the most basic of flight skills). Most plane crashes are the result of pilot error.

Someone described flying as 'balaayo cirka kula aaday', spot on I say.

Probability and statistics are meaningless, imo, when it comes to flying, and I don't think it's irrational at all. Like someone else said, something goes wrong with a vehicle, you can park it or stop or jump off, not from 36000 feet.

Flying scares the heck out of me, but it's a necessary form of transport.