Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

The Quarter-Life Crisis

Safferz   

Is feeling unsure and directionless in every area of your life unique to being in your mid-20s to early 30s? Is it normal to look at your life and wonder, is this it? I think every decade has its challenges, but is there something about making that transition into adulthood, responsibility and self-sufficiency that produces these sorts of crises during this period in particular?

I'm bored with everything and everyone in my life at the moment. I'm tired of dealing with cold weather. I don't like men right now and I've made peace with my inevitable future as a crazy cat lady. I'm annoyed by most of my girlfriends and hearing about their inane problems. I can't believe I start grade 20 in a few months, and by the end of my program, will have spent most of my 20s in school. It's more a general state of blah than actually having anything concrete to complain about, I do realize that objectively speaking, things have worked out quite well for me and I'm thankful for that.

It's my birthday next week, hence the catharsis. I'm going to buy myself a bright new lipstick tomorrow, that might make me feel better :P

null

Holac   

Times are changing Saff. 30 is the new 18.

What you don't want to do is settle for less. The best advice Holac can GIF [pun intended] is to keep celebrating.

celebration.gif

<cite>
said:</cite>

Is feeling unsure and directionless in every area of your life unique to being in your mid-20s to early 30s? Is it normal to look at your life and wonder, is this it? I think every decade has its challenges, but is there something about making that transition into adulthood, responsibility and self-sufficiency that produces these sorts of crises during this period in particular?

Safferz   

I wonder what happened to the report a comment to the mods option. Go away, this is the last time I will respond to you directly or engage with your desperate attempts to get my attention. Stay away from me.

Dear Saffy,

These sentiments are surely natural. For the common man these feelings often lead to detachment. Though for the wise, as I expect the case for you, detachment is the catalyst to such feelings. Often worry and thought disconnects one from the world. Might I suggest you re-immerse yourself into the world and your daily affairs. Step down from the hill you watch the world from. Stroll through the tombs of life. Verily, swimming is inane for a bird, but not for a fish.

Safferz   

Sound advice, thanks SP. I think a lot of it has to do with the banality of routine, especially in the winter months with its cold weather and short, dark days, combined with entering the busiest time of the semester in what's been the most challenging year in my academic life. I always feel better when it's summer and I'm traveling and doing things I enjoy. May is just around the corner, so I'm staying focused on that.

Picked up this pretty fuchsia lipstick I shall wear out today, crisis temporary averted :)

null

Hasina   

I'm feeling like this too. I've been avoiding friends and family. I can't remember the last time I went to a social gathering. It's pretty much been work and school. That's it. Even there, I keep my to myself. It's starting to affect my salah and my imaan generally. I'm just in a dark place right now.

Safferz   

<cite>

I'm feeling like this too. I've been avoiding friends and family. I can't remember the last time I went to a social gathering. It's pretty much been work and school. That's it. Even there, I keep my to myself. It's starting to affect my salah and my imaan generally. I'm just in a dark place right now.

Hasina, sometimes being stuck in a rut can be a sign of something more serious, like depression. Describing yourself as being in a dark place and avoiding friends and family is more concerning than simply being bored with your routine, I think. Have you thought about seeing a doctor or trying counseling? How long has this been going on?

<cite>

I wonder what happened to the report a comment to the mods option. Go away, this is the last time I will respond to you directly or engage with your desperate attempts to get my attention. Stay away from me.

im-just-sayin.jpg

It's normal to feel that way. You're not alone in that, what helps me is reminding my self of why I have chosen to stay in this exact path. Building ones future makes one forget living in the moment or enjoying it sometimes. I know I have done so many a times, forgot living, not making time for the litle things I enjoy doing, because I'm busy planning for the next task or day/week.

Hopefully it'll be all worth it someday. InshaAllah khair and happy b day in advance:)