Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Semi-autonomous Puntland state, where one-third of Somalia's population lives, needs help from AMISOM to secure its border with southern provinces

Admin   

IMG_02512(Reuters) - An expected drive to purge Islamist rebels from southern Somalia risks pushing them north into an area at the tip of the Horn of Africa better known for its coastal pirates than al Shabaab insurgents.Semi-autonomous Puntland state, where one-third of Somalia's population lives, needs help from the African peacekeeping force AMISOM to secure its border with southern provinces, its regional president Abdiweli Mohamed Ali said on Wednesday.A new push to rout al Shabaab militants from urban redoubts in southern Somalia has been expected since Ethiopian troops joined AMISOM earlier this year, but it has not yet come."It is obvious that some (al Shabaab) will seek refuge in the very difficult terrain in Puntland, particularly the Galgala mountains," Ali told Reuters by telephone. He was referring to a small range of mountains where some fighters are operating.Reeling from militant attacks on its doorstep, the central government in Mogadishu wants the al Qaeda-linked insurgents expelled from their southern strongholds this year as it struggles to shake off the tag of a failed state.Ali's concerns underscore a worry that the offensive may destabilize Puntland, a relatively settled region that al Shabaab rebels slowly began infiltrating after they were flushed out of Mogadishu in mid-2011.Puntland blamed al Shabaab for a rare car bomb attack in December in the port town of Bosasso which killed seven people.Attacks by Somali pirates have fallen in recent years due to increased naval patrols and armed security teams on ships.Although al Shabaab numbers have hitherto been limited, Puntland authorities and Western diplomats have voiced concern the Islamists might seek to strengthen ties with al Qaeda cells across the narrow Gulf of Aden in Yemen.UNEASY RELATIONSHIPUnder Puntland's previous leader, ties with Mogadishu became strained and the region largely operated as an independent entity. The January 8 election of Ali, a former prime minister in the federal government, raised hopes of improved relations.Ali bemoaned the lack of military aid for his administration to build up his security forces and the sparse information from Mogadishu about its campaign against al Shabaab."We have had no communication about this operation. We have a common enemy, al Shabaab, of course we should be consulted," the United States-educated leader said.Ali said the unequal distribution of aid between Mogadishu and the regions was not limited to military funds and federal government revenues and foreign aid, of which Somalia is among the world's biggest recipients, must also be more fairly shared.That echoed complaints by Ali's predecessor Abdirahman Mohamud Farole, who in August cut ties with Mogadishu in protest and accused the central government of undermining plans to create a federal system.Mogadishu has promised to share power and resources in the country seen as one of the last frontiers in the hunt for oil and gas in east Africa. But distrust of central government still threatens fragile security gains.Ali said he was open to talks on how to divide power between the center and the regions, a thorny issue the current provisional constitution failed to address.Who can issue hydrocarbon licenses and how to share future revenues are unresolved "contentious issues," he said."Federalism is now the law of the land. The question is to what extent powers are devolved."Source: Reuters

http://www.somaliaonline.com/semi-autonomous-puntland-state-where-one-third-of-somalias-population-lives-needs-help-from-amisom-to-secure-its-border-with-southern-provinces/

Dr_Osman   

This confirms what i was saying the other day. Amisom(Ethiopia) will be based in soauthern mudug especially around bandiradley. I said this because I know amisom mandate won't allow them past that. It's sheekadi 2006 ICU offensive in southern mudug all over again, but this time they want amisom to set up a permanent buffer zone at bandiradley rather then coming in and out on ad hoc basis. It's a smart move by Gaas because if USC folks cried about 10 or so PIS in mogadishu, I doubt they would be screaming for joy at thousands of Puntland forces deployed in southern mudug.

Good move GAAS, just make sure amisom stays in USC territories because they will be alot more welcomed then a Puntland force and al shabab could use that as propaganda to get more recruits using the Puntland forces in the territory as a scapegoats. Give them Amisom I say, they are happy with it and as long our security is not disturbed we could care less.

Mooge   

somaliarising, amisom is needed at the borders of puntland (outside puntland). nothing wrong with that. they will keep the fight there.

Dalmar1   

<cite>
said:</cite>

This confirms what i was saying the other day. Amisom(Ethiopia) will be based in soauthern mudug especially around bandiradley. I said this because I know amisom mandate won't allow them past that. It's sheekadi 2006 ICU offensive in southern mudug all over again, but this time they want amisom to set up a permanent buffer zone at bandiradley rather then coming in and out on ad hoc basis. It's a smart move by Gaas because if USC folks cried about 10 or so PIS in mogadishu, I doubt they would be screaming for joy at thousands of Puntland forces deployed in southern mudug.

Good move GAAS, just make sure amisom stays in USC territories because they will be alot more welcomed then a Puntland force and al shabab could use that as propaganda to get more recruits using the Puntland forces in the territory as a scapegoats. Give them Amisom I say, they are happy with it and as long our security is not disturbed we could care less.

Sxb walahi lately you have been getting on my nerve here with your daily calacaal!,...bro Focus on Somaliland (that's robbing your people and land) and not this pathetic out cry on the SFG.

I know you don't like SFG because of their Qabiil, but please have some dignity by reserving yourself like a gentlemen and not like a female on her period, it makes you look silly, really silly!

And as for PIS and puntland army being strong, I say nothing except that its ridiculous and a joke and that you should only look at your own and beesha history, of how when 1 Sub Sub Sub Sub SubSub of H block that lives in Galkacyo took on and obliterated the entire D block into an almost extinction, truely they conquered by themselves Bari to Kismayo Gedo!,..?but non the less war is bad and peace is good, so watch your self because you never know if 90's lesson is lurking in the corner and might be repeated!

So sxb walaahi I'm not a warmonger never were, but your childish remarks really infuriated!,..so please refrain yourself next time, because you and I have the same interest which is to have peace across Somalia and to combat those illegal secessionists in triangle state, so please let's start afresh and work toward peaceful SOMALIA insha'allah!

Tallaabo   

<cite>

Sxb walahi lately you have been getting on my nerve here with your daily calacaal!,...bro Focus on Somaliland (that's robbing your people and land) and not this pathetic out cry on the SFG.

I know you don't like SFG because of their Qabiil, but please have some dignity by reserving yourself like a gentlemen and not like a female on her period, it makes you look silly, really silly!

And as for PIS and puntland army being strong, I say nothing except that its ridiculous and a joke and that you should only
look at your own and beesha history, of how when 1 Sub Sub Sub Sub SubSub of H block that lives in Galkacyo took on and obliterated the entire D block into an almost extinction, truely they conquered by themselves Bari to Kismayo Gedo!,..?but non the less war is bad and peace is good, so watch your self because you never know if 90's lesson is lurking in the corner and might be repeated!

So sxb walaahi I'm not a warmonger never were, but your childish remarks really infuriated!,..so please refrain yourself next time, because you and I have the same interest which is to have peace across Somalia and to combat those illegal secessionists in triangle state,
so please let's start afresh
and work toward peaceful SOMALIA insha'allah!

You can't start afresh when you threatened his entire clan with genocide and extinction. The doctor was telling the truth when he said Abdi Wali is calling for AMISOM to occupy South Gaalkacayo and other HAG areas to fight its dirty war on your doorstep and backyard to keep Puntland safe. I must admit the subjects of the Sultanate of Maj-tenia are a clever lot. :)

Libaax sankataabe adeer its very clear what abdi weli is asking for Amisom troops in southern Mudug , to protect puntland from the Mudug shabaab cell its very clear.

<cite>

somaliarising, amisom is needed at the borders of puntland (outside puntland). nothing wrong with that. they will keep the fight there.

http://i.imgur.com/a2NG4W2.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/a2NG4W2.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/a2NG4W2.png

Is Galgala region outside Puntland?

Talllaabo i doubt the creature u quoted is from Baraxlay, no person from baraxlay would have so much hatred and envy for Somalilanders.I suspect he is a pirate who wishes to ally him self with the Damuljadid in order to get back at Somalilanders.

Dalmar1   

<cite>

Talllaabo i doubt the creature u quoted is from Baraxlay, no person from baraxlay would have so much hatred and envy for Somalilanders.I suspect he is a pirate who wishes to ally him self with the Damuljadid in order to get back at Somalilanders.

Creature kulaha LOL, sxb walee the only one close to creature in Somalia is you and your beesha with their make believe "iraqi" fairy tale lineage, JOKE OF THE CENTURY!,....KKKKK

anyway i dont have to explain to anyone of what i am, especially to a "CREATURE" known for their treacherous ways throughout their history against the people of SOMALIA and MUSLIMS ALIKE,all in all it must burn you and your people inside to know that everyone in Somalia whether the D block, H Block, and D&M Block is against your poisoning ways of secession, im HG Through bred and i will always hate your Kind SNM children ways of treachery!

as for ENVY of Somaliland, kkkkk whats there to envy, waryaa YOUR people come to my Land in XAMAR for hotel cleaning jobs, there's nothing to envy about somaliland, XAMAR alone succeeds your entire god forsaken triangle LAND!

Holac   

Cabdi Wali denied the AMISOM deployment rumor. I saw this article on horseedmedia.net

Somalia: Puntland President dismisses Rumours on ‘deployment for AMISOM troops’

Puntland President Dr Abdiweli Mohamed Ali has dismissed reports that have been circulating over the past few days saying that troops from the African Union will be deployed to the semi-autonomous state of Somalia. Mr Ali said that his recent Interview with Reuters news agency was misinterpreted and clarified that Puntland has ‘enough’ troops to combat terrorism and secure its regions. In his interview with Reuters, he called for AMISOM to assist his administration to secure its borders with the Southern part of the country, ahead of a planned anti al-Shabab offensive.

‘’ We (Puntland) have enough forces to look after our security… but because AMISOM’s mandate is all over Somalia we should be supported logistically in our combat against al-Shabab, who will definitely flow to Puntland after being defeated in the South,’’ he said in an interview with the BBC Somali Service. Puntland government is currently planning to heighten its security, but has blamed the International Community for not supporting its battle with the al-Qaeda linked group. Al-Shabab militants have been seeking for refuge in Galgala mountain ranges since they were defeated in Southern Somalia by AU troops and Somali army in 2012.

Horseed Media