Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Somaliland:The Consequences of Electing Kulmiye and their Machiavellism

Saalax   

Kulmiye Leadership is reducing the Country into failed state

What is happening in Somaliland today is utterly shocking. Corruption is becoming rampant; a million dollar was spent to oust the current speaker of the parliament. Clans are made hostile and suspicious of each other. Our traditional system is exploited and manipulated by the current government. Some clans are favored by the president and allocated most of the top 100 government positions. Other clans are left in the cold. They are given very few or no ministerial positions, general directors or army generals, because they have leaders who are critical to president Silaanyo and his political affairs. Government power is shared unfairly, by any parameter, geographically or clan. The top senior ranking officers of the armed forces are chosen from favored clans of president Silaanyo. Under his direction, Somaliland is tearing apart.

Social mobility and equal opportunities are becoming unusual. In order to fill civil servant positions, members of his clan are head hunted from far afield, such as Western Europe and North America. Land conflicts are plotted by his ministers in places like, Kalshaale area in the south, Berbera area in the north and the fertile Elbardale area, in the west of Somaliland. Animosity between two neighboring communities is engineered with the intention of securing the votes of one of them. And then take hold of whatever resource on and under that particular place.

Freedom of speech is suffering from a great blow. Young journalists are assaulted by the police frequently. License of broadcasting TV corporates are revoked, simply because they present prank entertainment programs about the president. Demonstrations are collided with the newly created rapid reaction force (RRU) under the pretext of security reasons. Casualties are reported often.

World Bank report documented recently that the gap between the rich and the poor is increasing. Wealth and the resources of the country are not distributed justly. Tribalism has come back to the national politics, something we have almost succeeded to eradicate. The current president, Siilaanyo Is taking Somaliland 15 years back. His government is undermining the principles and the pillars of our young and fragile democracy. Our people are losing confidence in the government system.

Politics of “the winner takes all” is applied by his clan ministers. Indhodeero business group, which is owned by his kinsmen were given the go ahead, to build, their own private veterinary Centre at Berbera port. Nobody else could have secured such lucrative deal. We remember also how this government gave concession (100%) for the cement factory in Berbera, without the consultations of the local communities, the parliament and the wider civil society. Kuwait donated us 10 million to build the Hargeisa and Berbera airport. The contracts were given close kinsmen of president Siilaanyo .

Hersi, the chief cabinet (a type of prime minister Position) managed Genel Energy resources, the jobs negatively. The contracts were all assigned to his sub clan members. Local communities started demonstrating to express their dissatisfaction and president Silanyo’s government answered by firing at the demonstrators. The situation became dangerous. Shortly after, Genel Energy stopped its operations in Somaliland. Nepotism is getting practiced so evidently in our little country that could have done wonders for all of us.

National political parties are approached autocratically by President Siilanyo’s inner circle group. It is becoming a disaster for Somaliland future. Foosiya H Yuusuf became so bitter, that made her shift to the enemy camp. Dr. Gaboose, the oxford trained Lawyer, Mr.Hassan Isse And Ibraahim Dhagaweyne the military commander are even more bitter. They cannot hear anything to do with president Siilaanyo. UCID party leader, F. A. waraabe was told uf uf through the national TV. Presidential candidate of UCID, Mr Jamaal A Husein was physically blocked by using the army. A public figure was deprived from his basic right to be able to travel to Gabiley and interact with his supporters. People in Somaliland could not believe what they witnessed on the TV and tablet screens. It was horrifying and a reminder of Siyaad Barre ruling style.

Abdirahman Abdiqadir was a senior Kulmiye politician. He worked so hard and invested so much, even selling his families properties for the sake of Kulmiye party. Unfortunately, we remember, how he was dumped, humiliated publicly in a very unprofessional and undemocratic manner. His cry at the Kulmiye confession It was shocking to everyone in Somaliland. . Michiavelism based on divide and rule is the philosophy that is reducing Somaliland into banana republic

The current president, Siilaanyo reshuffled his cabinet several times, but never replaces ministers from his clan. We remember, the summer when his minister of aviation closed single handedly the Berbera International airport. Hundreds of the diaspora, and business men were stranded. There was neither satisfactory explanation nor compensations for those people who were delayed to attend to their schools and jobs. No other minister could have secured the trust and the support of the president despite his/her shortcomings.

International community is given mixed signals by president Siilanyo’s government. One day they are defending Somaliland, the next day, our president is in somalai conference. One day they tell us, recognition is paramount, the next day; our foreign minister is in the middle of Somalia’s investment conference in Nairobi. Our man in South Africa, the professor has been alienated. Our representative in Sweden was highly respected by the Swedish government, yet he was replaced. Our relationship with Ethiopia was put in a big question mark from the beginning of this Kulmiye government.

This week, President Siilaanyo informed us that the parliament is separated from the government by law. Yet, in the same night, he gave the instructions to bribe members of the national assembly so hugely, to the point, they wouldn’t resist. His plans to oust the current speaker of the lower house, honorable Abdirahman Irro are worrying. It is creating outrage in the public. This issue has been the headline news of Somaliland news outlets. The nation was shocked and disappointed by president Siilaanyo’s deeds and michiavelism tactics.

His ultimate goal is to delay the coming presidential elections and electoral registration. In order to achieve this goal he needs yes men in the most senior positions of the parliament. Then he will get extension for his presidential term. More than fifty news outlets in Somaliland confirmed differently and independently, the amount of money spent to change the standing point of members of the parliament. The most reported figure was a million US dollar to oust Abdirahman Irro, The speaker of House of Representatives. Public funds are used for his own gains. Our institutional building process is disrupted. This is going to be a deep scar on our national image.

The contrast with the previous governments is clear. We remember the joy, when Somaliland was liberated under President Abdirahman Tuur. We remember the joy, happy faces and the celebrations of our people the day our constitution was pu to the referendum under the leadership of president Egal .We remember the day multiparty elections took place and our dream of democratic Somaliland was realized under President Riyaale leadership. Today there is great concern for Somaliland under the leadership of Silaanyo. Our country is getting in a mess and reduced into a banana state.

http://somalilandpress.com/somalilandthe-consequences-of-electing-kulmiye-and-their-micheavialism-48194

galbeedi   

I believe the more the election is delayed the better for peace to rain in Somaliland, If this incompetent party holds another election in little more than one year, there will be a disaster. The People of Somaliland are fed up of Kulmiye and their divide and rule policy. They are not democrats who will accept defeat. Before any election is held, they must be exposed.

Hirsi and company have already set up election infrastructure. When I say infrastructure I do not mean voter registration or voting boots. I mean, the infrastructure to steal the vote. He put loyal and corrupt governors and police chiefs in Awdal, Togdheer and Hargeida. In Gabiley, he already instructed the security apparatus to remove any opposition.

They must be exposed and stooped now before it is too late. Those who support a peaceful Somaliland must act now.

Tallaabo   

President Silaanyo is suffering from a fast deteriorating dementia and has basically lost control of the government. In such a terrible circumstances like this, it is the responsibility of the governing party and the national parliament to relieve the leader of his duties and make sure a smooth transition of power takes place. At the moment Xisi Gaab is the acting president in all but name. This is a gross violation of our constitution and is very damaging for our young democracy. It is in the constitution that when the president looses the capacity to lead the nation, the vice president who unlike dictator Xirsi Gaab is elected by the people and has a legitimate mandate should take control of the government. It is imperative that the parliament demand a full assessment of the president's health and if it is found that the president is not in a position to lead the nation, the presidential power should be transferred to vice president Saylici until the next election.

ElPunto   

Not quite sure what the ferment in Somaliland these days is about. Surely corruption allegations and mismanagement existed pre-Silaanyo. At the same time the ruling party supporters can't dimiss all the opposition their rule is causing. Clearly - they've pissed off some powerful constituencies. But then vote them out in the elections - the Somali propensity for buuq when the alternatives isn't much different is quite amazing.

<cite>
said:</cite>

Somaliland is much better shape under Kulmiye than it was under udub there are shortcomings but nothing to worry about elections are next year , one man one vote.

<cite>

Not quite sure what the ferment in Somaliland these days is about. Surely corruption allegations and mismanagement existed pre-Silaanyo. At the same time the ruling party supporters can't dimiss all the opposition their rule is causing. Clearly - they've pissed off some powerful constituencies. But then vote them out in the elections - the Somali propensity for buuq when the alternatives isn't much different is quite amazing.

+1,000,000

galbeedi   

Xaaji of course they have done more than Udub but they got ten times more aid money than Udub.

Besides Kulmiye party is not in charge any more. Among those who campaigned for Kulmiye only a handful are left. Look this men were all former Kulmiye.

1- former vice president c/rahman aw cali

2- former finanace minister Mohamed Haashi

3- Former interior minister Dr. Gaboose

4- A/eahman Abdulqadir.

5- Degaweyne

6- Ibraahim Qaalib

7- mohamed OOmane

6- Cali guray

9- Cismaan Hindi and many more are in the opposition.

Few of the ministers are Kulmiye. In Awdal all the ministers in the government are former Udub members. The close Family of Siilaanyo have taken over the Party and the Government. With the huge foreign aid money coming to Somaliland, they are buying off everybody.

galbeedi   

Somaliarising, Saaxiib I am different kind of Soomaalilander. Some of you only understand the sectarian slogan which is " you are either with us or against us". My all families- Brothers , sisters, uncles, in laws and many more live in Hargeisa, Boorama, Gabiley and between them. Of course I believe a United Somalia that includes Somaliland, at the same time, I do not any anarchy, Violence or civil war to befall in Somaliland. I always support those who respect the rule of law, democracy and open society. I am against those who nurture sectarian and the tribal platforms. If you are a genuine Soomaali who is seeking a peaceful united Somalia, you would not wish the destabilization of your other brother who is missing.

Yes, some times i lament when I see the condition we are in. Some of you even said " waar calaacal badanaa".

Finally , in the city of Zaylac their is a Mosque called " Qiblatayn Mosque". Before Islam reached Medina, Muslims used to pray in the Direction of Qudus. This Mosque is a testament, that Islam reached in this land before it reached The Arabian Peninsula. (Xadaaradaas Fog), That ancient civilization made some of us different from the Guys who are raised In Burco, Gaalkacayo and Afmadow. I will never Die for the honor of my tribe. I may die for my country and faith , but I will never sacrifice in order for my tribe to be great.

Saaxiib waa sobobtaas ta aad iigu wareertay. Nabad iyo caano.

<cite>

Indeed; buuq jaceyl runs in our blood, you would think elections and the very recent rise to power of a new coalition after so long etc would at least calm things (there are no such freedoms in other Somali places like Djibouti, Jigjiga etc).

They seem to claim that corruption started now and was not much worse before without free schooling, doubling of salaries and many first time projects such as roads upgrades.

Now, the other madness is that it seems that there are no credible taxation policy or development strategy, a credibly detailed alternative but sweeping accusations for the sake of it...

I think that anarchism is the favorite trait of nomads and of course, since cultural traits last very long accross generations, even limited economic, public services and infrastructure progress like in Djibouti may take decades...

N.O.R.F   

What about the road work between Hargaisa and berbera Saalax? Its cut the time from 2hrs plus to 1.30 min. But then again you havent been. How about the improved govnt hospitals? Have you visited any?

There are some issues and no govnt is perfect. Your problem is you think the opposition is any better.

<cite>

What about the road work between Hargaisa and berbera Saalax? Its cut the time from 2hrs plus to 1.30 min. But then again you havent been. How about the improved govnt hospitals? Have you visited any?

There are some issues and no govnt is perfect. Your problem is you think the opposition is any better.

no the Kulmiye Zionist Regime isn't better than the opposition. and the opposition isn't in a position to challenge Kulmiye.

just this week, we've once again heard damning allegations that henchman Hersi has yet again dipped into the Erigavo road collections. rumours are abound that the money was diverted to fund another Kulmiye presentational ''wax qabad'' project. i donated $10 to the Erigavo Road collections just last week and i'm disappointed to see my money being used for other purposes.

Kulmiye isn't perfect, nor are they perfect. Somaliland is bigger than personalities and individual interests. all over the country people are expressing serious discontent with the way the country is being abused and torn apart. ordinary folks just want xal but the parliamentarians are crooks, the judiciary is shockingly weak. separation of powers appears to be more blurred than ever and we just don't know how things will turn out. one day it's this way and the next day that way. there is no consistence, anymore. Somaliland faces a difficult year, ruunti. the elections beckon and once the civil and electoral registration start later on this month, it'll be interesting to see how things go.

here on the ground, we're all hoping the elections aren't marred by corruption, irregularities and rigging like in November 2012. we pray for Somaliland because it seriously needs it. inshallah kheyr.

p.s - what hospitals are being built by the way? lol

Miyir   

Everyone knows Landers build on shaky ground, the only glue that holds together is ICTIRAAF, lot of growing up pains ahead, missed opportunities to build good foundation last 20 years. I hope all turn well Somalis everywhere can't afford another blood letting.