Sign in to follow this  
Khadafi

The reality pill for clanists with delusions.

Khadafi   

Sometimes when are facing a problem or having doubts in something it's simply more easier to deny the reality on the ground then face life with it's harsh and unfair challenges. Even Hitler´and his close associates chose to deny the un-deniable fact that allied troops, mainly Russians were closing in to Berlin.

Despite his delusions of hysteria and mad speaches the reality on the ground ultimately caught up with him. Those close to him slipped out of the bunker in fear for their safety When the odor of the russians finally reached the bunker. Hitler himself found that his wife, Eva Braun was the only person left whom he could perform his charades of hysteria grand delusions. He finally killed himself.

Delusions are not limited to Europeans. In 2006-2007 a friend of mine invited me for lunch. He had during the week been hired by a NGO group and was in a celebratory mood. We also wanted to discuss those dramatic events happening in Somalia. The ICU were openly exchanging threats with Ethiopia and the TFG was preparing for the Ethiopian peace-keepers. Clouds of war that Somalia is all to well acquainted with was approaching fast.

Their was a newly opened Somali restaurant (ofcourse a black one..no permit) in the neighborhood so we went their. We had a delicious meal but our conversation was disturbed by people hailing "takbiir, allaahu akbar" from a small room near our table. My friend I tried to ignore the noise but we simply could not. I went their to see what the fuss was about, Approximately 20 men were glued to the BBC digital radio in the small fadhi-ku-dirir room.

All of a sudden some one broke the news to me. A ICU top-man (I dont remember who it was) said that ICU had declared war on Ethiopia and that they would within 6 months pray Id-prayers in Addis Ababa and so was the beginning of the sickness of grand delusions.

Thousands of mogadishu students died in the dusty semy arid plains plans of Daynuunay and sacrificed themselves for the sake of Somalia. But in a bizarre twist to the story the leaders of the ICU disappeared and if I remember it correctly, one of them made Hajj pilgrimage after he had declared war. Yaab! nin aanan yaabin wuxuu dhahay waa yaabay. Instead of prayers in Addis Mogadishu fell in less then a week.

More pain was inflicted upon Somalis, years of war and starvation yet the delusions continues and are now more dangerous. Even the players of war became more and more sophisticated. During the 80-90-ties we hid behind the names of different organisations all with the name"somali" in it. (USC, SNU, SNM SNA). What everyone knew but did not want hear was that they were keywords for clanism. Clanism was the pink elephant that you immediately noticed in a small room but to your surprise find everyone else in the room ignoring the elephant. you Then came the 2000, our religion of peace were hijacked by various jihadi organisations. People then rallied behind them, when you would confront one and say: Hang on a minute, did you say Jihad?, Who are you going to wage a jihad on,? Fellow muslims? The supporter would simply look at the sky as if doing so would make him invisible. Yaaab! once again, nin aanan yaabin wuu yaabay!

The delusion of today must be the word and mantra federalism & maamul goboleed. It has entered every corner of our society. From the addicted khat eater and chain smooking Faarax with the bulging eyes to the single mother Xaliimo, what they have in common is repeating the mantra of federalism and maamul goboleed. As if federalism was the magic fix to Soomalia. What seems to be trendy today is the creation of bizarre maamul goboleedyo with toung twisting names as Mid-land &Azania.

The 20+ war&chaos that we have experienced have made us in to chaotic orchs. No one wants to face the reality and smell the coffe. I remember 1,5 years ago that another mamuul goboleed was created with name Azania, a friend of mine told me that a reporter In Nayroobi asked Prof. Ghandi why he chose the name "Azania" as the letter "Z" does not exist in the Somali alphabet. Prof Ghandhi simply answered in a abrupt but honest way that he did not think that "z". in the name would be problematic.

I wonder why no one pointedly addressed this issue to Prof. Ghandi during the conferance in Nayroobi.

The trend with Heblayo-land and it's tongue twisting names continues while people are dying out of starvation. Men with delusional thoughts meet in dim rooms and proclaim clan-states on the internet while the reality on the ground is completely different. While we yesterday hid behind the names acronyms of organisations like U-Somali-C Somali NM and Somali-SSDF Somali-NU we now have the toung twisting lands. I wonder how much has really changed from those old days.

Not much I guess but thats for you all to discuss.

galbeedi   

Puntland is one of the so called federal administrations and Somaliland is also an autonomous region, Yet we have to see any meaningful and accountable system of government. There are no credible prosecutors or independent judiciary, there are no auditors who save guard public finance. while people every where talk about government corruption and misuse of public funds no one is ever prosecuted for any crime.. There are no public records to register Birth, marriage or death.If you are ever in trouble with the law , your tribe will make a case for your release. Only the poor, the disadvantaged, the thief and common criminals go to jail. If The so called federalism doesn't lead to good governance, justice,rule of law, employment and prosperity, then why promote it. Let us see Puntland. They claim Bari, Nugaal, half of Gaalkacayo and Sool, sanaag and Buuhoodle. Remember Buuhoodle is part of Togdheer. If geography, commerce and human interaction is the logical reason to make a regional administration instead of tribal one, then all Mudug, part of Galgaduud should be part of Puntland. Rather than claim east of Burco, use logic. For 15 years they never built school or hospital. The only visible growth is security forces and private enterprise. Do you think Madoobe and friends will build hospital, improve education or enhance civic rule? Noo. They are here to be called president of a tribal homeland. Every Somali rule in the horn of Africa from Djibouti, to Zone Five, from Hargeisa to Puntland is a place where some body want to be a big fish in a small pound ( dhijaan). If the idea was self rule and distribution of power then start with the management and city governments who are nothing but " jago bixiyeyaal": A very wise Somali intellectual told few years ago, that if the present trend doesn't change you may see four or five independent Somali states who are satellites of the neighboring countries.

The so called federalism must be based on geography, commerce, culture, cohesiveness and the future well being of the Somali nation. If these criteria are not fulfilled, then we are building tribal homeland with our own peril.

Cadale   

The so called federalism must be based on geography, commerce, culture, cohesiveness and the future well being of the Somali nation. If these criteria are not fulfilled, then we are building tribal homeland with our own peril.

This.

Holac   

Khadafi, federalism is necessary to end the country's lengthy conflict. Unless you are a dreamer, you should know by now that Somalis don't trust one another primarily because of clan differences. Federalism built on a shared community (common heritage, lineage, history and interest - ie clan) is the most conceivable way forward to move on from the chaos albeit temporary. I don’t believe the country is ready for a cosmopolitan kind of federalism.

galbeedi   

As I said, instead of being a big fish in a pond, I would rather be a small fish in the big Somali sea of the horn. If you are self confident, have a faith and have some life skills you will survive where ever you are without the help of a tribe. We all want the local people, whether they are in Gaalkacayo , Burco or Diinsoor to have access for government services and manage their internal affairs. They should manage their education, health care and local policing. Today's federal out posts are not designed to enhance local services. They are ladders for individual politicians to reach power without realizing the collateral damage they inflict both for his tribe and The Somali people in general.

For example, A/weli, the Puntland leader was a former Prime Minister of Somalia. I do not think he chose to lead Puntland to dig water wells, build schools or manage what ever goes between Garoowe and Boosaaaso. Other than the meager resource of the port, which may not even cover the salaries of the civil servants, there are no major revenue producing mechanisms. Last week he announced 45 member cabinet ministers and six dozen members of Parliament. With this kind of top heavy bureaucracy how can any thing reach the local people or services like schools, hospitals and roads. Each one of these men need a convoy of cars and other perks.

The main reason Dr. A/weli want to be a big fish in this small pond is to use Puntland as a ladder to reach the high office in Mogadishu. He will not have time for water wells or small village issues, because he will be spending most of his time and energy to build a war chest for 2016.

That job needs constant flight to Nairobi, Addis and other places where Somali future leaders are decided. Any resource that comes from the donor countries to improve lives , will be used for campaigning and building alliances. I will not even go to Galmudug, Jubba or other warlord posts that are masquerading as Federal states.

Friends these so called federal states will not accomplish any thing meaningful for the average resident. Every where, even in the most advanced democracies, states suppress, diminish, dilute or

minimize the tribal and sectarian nature of the politics. That is why they have the democratic or the republican party, not the party of the Germans, the Irish party or the Mexican party.

Let these tribal home lands, fron Djibouti to Hargeisa; from Jijiga to Garoowe, and from Hiiraan to Jubba enjoy the honey moon while the patriot is wounded.

The great composer said:

Ahmed Guray Ma UU Dhiman

Ma Gablamin Darwiishkii

Geenyadu Ma Daalana

Ma af Beelin Gamaski

Waxaan Uga Gol Leeyahay

Hadii Geesi II Kaco

Gayaankayga waan Heli.

ElPunto   

^All this vitriol and negativity against clan based states is interesting. Peace, stability, progress has occurred there in the last 20 years without a central government. If judging by what works - real clan based states are way better than anything else seen in more than two decades in Somalia. And for some places ever - Bosaso and Bari in general have seen by far more infrastructure and progress in the last 20 years than at any time in the 30 year period from independence to the collapse. Denying this reality and equating it to mass hysteria shows the low mental calibre of the author of the original post.

galbeedi   

Yes Boosaaso is a commercial hub and port. Traditionally the Reer Bari were never been people who are dependent of government hand outs and jobs. Even in the eighties, few of them were involved in bureaucracy. I agree for the last TWENTY YEARS THEY DID GROW a lot, but also remember they were the only port in most of south central Somalia. I will rather prefer Boosaaso share administration with Sanaag and surrounding area instead of Mudug. Further more, for the people pf Ceerigaabo and Badhan, it takes one and half day to reach Berbera, while Boossaaso is two hour away. Geography and Commerce should dictate the federal states.