Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Mogadishu goes biometric. Citizens line up to get their I.D cards

Jacpher   

<cite>
said:</cite>

It's good that they're issuing ID cards, but why do they Anglicized the names?

No more C. X. Kh or Y in Somali names. Given there is no standard among regions on spelling but still no reason to not write it the Somali way.

The ID card can be used outside one's own land if need be, that is why it should be anglisized. No one will understand how to read X, Kh, and C. English has become the defacto language of the globe.

When a trained (supposedly)Police officer asks you qolaama tahay adeer at check points! one wonders what is the use of the new ID cards? much better than Kenyan and Ethiopian ID cards though.

These ID cards are better than the ones I have here in Canada. Look at that chip!

I almost had tears in my eyes when one of them said that after 22 years of war things are changing to peace and development while he pointed at his ID card. Such a simple but meaningful thing.

<cite>

No one will understand how to read X, Kh, and C. English has become the defacto language of the globe.

Millions of Somalis in Somalia and neighboring countries understand X, Kh, and C.

cadnaan1   

<cite>

Maxaa ku dhacay kuwii dadka la siiye sanadihii 2007/08. Kaararkaan camal ayee ahaayeen.

sida dowlada ay sheegtay dadkii qaatay id card iyo pasaportka inta uu san new systemkan bilaaban waa valid ilaa iyo waqtigooda 5 shanta sano uu ka dhamaado.