Sign in to follow this  
Mooge

marrying someone you grew up with?

Mooge   

article-2551623-1B30B42B00000578-976_634x799.jpg

in the Somali culture, marrying someone you grew up with is not prohibited. in the west it is called incest.

would you marry a girl or a guy you grew up with but have no blood relations?

Mooge   

alpha the point is that if you did it, nobody in somalia will say walashisu gursaday. in the west, it is a different story and you may even go to jail.

but at the same time, in the west two men can legally marry each other and it is civil rights issue. what a twisted logic. lol

I have seen a guy who impregnated his mum due to a hide and seek relationship they had for many times cheating on the father. I don't know what is more despicable than that. Marrying someone you have grown up with is minor issue compared to a mother-son relationship.

Err that's bobby browns son and whitney houstons daughter who married eachother. i don't think that happens in our culture waa iska walaalo dee although he is not her maxram.

Qunyar socod. that is just sick and unbelievable , then again waa iska aakhiro samaan wax walba waad maqli these days.

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Err that's bobby browns son and whitney houstons daughter who married eachother. i don't think that happens in our culture waa iska walaalo dee although he is not her maxram.

No, she's the daughter of Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston, and this boy moved into their home as a teenager. So they have no relation, not even step-siblings, but they spent their teenage years living in the same house.

Somalis are far worse -- they marry actual relatives, and often prefer to marry a cousin they know over a "stranger." I remember the topic came up when I was in kililka, and a man (who is married to a cousin raised by his father) said there's nothing better than marrying your sister. Ew.

Holac   

Facts about Cousin Marriage.

26 states allow first cousin marriages; most people can marry their cousin in the US.

US prohibitions against cousin marriages predate modern genetics.

No European country prohibits marriage between first cousins. It is also legal throughout Canada and Mexico to marry your cousin. The U.S. is the only western country with cousin marriage restrictions.

Children of non-related couples have a 2-3% risk of birth defects, as opposed to first cousins having a 4-6% risk. Genetic counseling is available for those couples that may be at a special risk for birth defects (e.g. You have a defect that runs in your family) In plain terms first cousins have at a 94 percent + chance of having healthy children. Check the links section for more information on genetic counselors. The National Society of Genetic Counselors estimated the increased risk for first cousins is between 1.7 to 2.8 percent, or about the same a any woman over 40 years of age. Source: external link

Second cousins have little, if any increased chance of having children with birth defects, per the book "Clinical Genetics Handbook"

The frequency of cousin marriages in the USA is about 1 in 1,000. The frequency of cousin marriages in Japan is about 4 in 1,000

It is estimated that 20 percent of all couples worldwide are first cousins. It is also estimated that 80 percent of all marriages historically have been between first cousins!

In some cultures, the term cousin and mate are synonymous.

Albert Einstein married his first cousin. And so did Charles Darwin, who had exceptional children.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, the longest serving US president in history married his cousin (not a first cousin, however they shared the same last name).

http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=facts

Safferz   

^ your point? Though genetic diversity is best, I am aware that cousin marriage is not at a significantly higher risk for birth defects and other issues. This is primarily social -- I think it's gross to marry a relative, especially one you were raised with.

<cite>

Ku dhaaro!

Show your ass in MN. :D

<cite>

Qunyar socod. that is just sick and unbelievable , then again waa iska aakhiro samaan wax walba waad maqli these days.

I am talking about gaalo. Awalba ma gaalo ayaa dhaqan iyo diin lahaa. Uff dheh.